What's new

Ugh, NEED HELP Buying Glasses!

Hey guys, it is that time in my life when I need new glasses. The issue, as always, is finding the right frames. In looking for plastic frames, it always gets interesting because of the dreaded "uni-sex" nature of frames these days. When trying frames on, I cannot get Seinfeld out of my head-- the one where George buy's women's frames!

For example, 1 pair I like are the RayBan RX5150; but in half the stores they are denoted as "Women's" and others "Men's" while a few as "unisex". I realize that it shouldn't matter and that if they look good, who cares. But, I am a wuss and seem to care about such things.

So, two questions. First, what are your thoughts on the RX5150-- girly or not?

Second- how do most of you approach the ambiguity of buying glasses-- just don't give a rip and buy what you like or do you to through the Costanza angst? I think I will know the answer, but I am curious for your thoughts anyway. I also attached a shot of my ugly mug -- let me know what you think of the frames-- girly or no? (Forgive terrible shot, wife took it when I was glaring at her... :) )

proxy.php

Last edited:
KRAMER: May I have one of those, madam?

GEORGE: Madame? What are you calling me madam for?

KRAMER: They're ladies' glasses.

Seriously, they could go either way, but if is going to be a constant thought in your head, it might be better to find different frames.

They're not bad, but I would try something a little heavier/thicker in the frame and/or something a little squarer.

Try stuff that's different from what you've had before, have fun at the shop - you never know what's going to work.

Very modern looking. I would consider something a little more square if a coat and tie is your normal workday dress. If not you would be fine for causal and business casual dress.

I would second what Suzuki said, try something new and have a little fun. Most eye wear stores run some type of two for one specials. Now maybe the time to break the mold. Take Care.

I`ve just had to get new glasses as well, I couldn`t decide between a pair of Cogan`s and a pair of Hugo Boss frames so I asked the optometrist if he had any advice. He looked at my face with both pairs on (not at the same time) and asked what I liked about the pairs I had short listed, he thought for a minute or two then walked over and picked another pair of frames, I put them on and they just fit and looked great. So maybe that is an option for you as well?

The glasses you have look fine but if you think they are too unisex I`d try and find a similar style with a straighter line across the top and more parallel sides.

I asked my partner what she thought of the RX5150`s and her reply was "nothing wrong with those they look fine".

Stephen.

Last edited:
Look good to me, if you go heavier in the frame you risk the "Proclaimers look" (I get that, as I would like a heavier pair, but I end up going with Oakleys, as they are light and a nice half frame). Have a gander on Vision express etc. online and have a few ideas before going looking (I'd spend hours otherwise......). Also do you wear them 24/7 like me? Or are they an occasional thing like reading specs? If the latter try a lighter thinner pair.... :D I find I choose what looks good and feels ok, as afterall the feel after wearing them for 12 hours is big thing :D

Tom

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Hey, those 5150s look good. I have some 5124s and wish I'd gotten those instead. Next time.

Gentleman,
Thanks for all the replies! I am thinking that I may just "man up" and buy the ladies frames.:wink2: I am going to go out one more time and see if I can hunt down a related pair of frames that I saw online before I pull the trigger though. Buying frames is always tricky, especially because the current styles are often smaller than what looks good on my head.

In any case, I will likely drop a last note with a final update on what I end up with. Thanks again, I knew B&B wouldn't let me down!

Of course, you could avoid all doubt and go with contacts...

I actually have contacts as well, but don't use them as my "normal wear". I have astigmatism so they aren't good for long session reading/writing (get shifted around, etc). I am at my desk doing just that most of the day and glasses are much more suited for this purpose.

I like them, and I don't think they are lady-like at all. I may be having to get a pair of glasses for the first time soon, and I want something more Drew Carey/1960s NASA looking. Basically, the same stuff that made Rayban famous, other than the pilots shades. Good luck with your search!

Top Bottom