What's new

Ugh, i don't even like gold. Why do i want an Aristocrat so much?

So I'm a big fan of the Fat Boy, have one and also enjoy the 40's Superspeed. Why do I lust for a 40's style Aristocrat so much? I don't even like gold. When I do get one, would it be a sin to want to get it replated in Nickel or Rhodium?

I can't explain your desire for an Aristocrat. I picked up one recently that coincidentally would be a great replate candidate. I shaved with it yesterday and was very impressed by it. I generally don't like TTOs and thought my 50s SS was too mild but this was a very nice shave.

I think replating one in something besides gold would look neat. I think I've seen a picture of one replated in nickel on the forum somewhere.

The American Aristocrat is an outstanding shaver! Replating one to suit your personal likes is not a crime!

For me, I'm just the opposite and plan to someday replate my "birthday razor" (B-4 Super Speed) in gold!

It's not easy keeping up with these vintage aficianados. It's the BB version of keeping up with the Joneses, except it's a lot less expensive, thank God. Imagine how envious your neighbors will be when they look out their window and see a vintage Aristocrat in your driveway!!

Haha, yeah. I try to mention this hobby is not that bad compared to others. Anyone happen to know if it's nickle under the gold plate? Just wondering if i get one with the gold worn down if it's going to brass quicker.

LOL. I'd love to but there's a tiny difference in cost :) Probably wouldn't replate for quite some time, and i wouldn't intentionall rub off the gold, just wondering about plating in general.

I can't explain your desire for an Aristocrat. I picked up one recently that coincidentally would be a great replate candidate. I shaved with it yesterday and was very impressed by it. I generally don't like TTOs and thought my 50s SS was too mild but this was a very nice shave.

I think replating one in something besides gold would look neat. I think I've seen a picture of one replated in nickel on the forum somewhere.

That may be my replated Aristocrat. Got it as part of a mystery box. I don't care for TTO's but I keep that and a birthyear Fatboy for an occasional shave. It's a beautiful razor and the replating job was excellently done.

gah! Almost had a beat up looking one on fleabay and someone sniped it from me with 3 seconds left! Guess that's my fault for wanting to snag one on a deal.

Heheheh. I'll have to see if i can find an open comb. I really like the Presidents but they are pretty pricey for vintage razors (at least to me). Almost cheaper to get a beat up aristocrat and have it replated!

I'll just opine that the President is a much less effective razor than the '40s Aristocrat, despite the similar looks. YMMV of course, but as you've seen, it can be expensive to find out for yourself. I have two 40-Crats, one endcap-less user-grade and one in collectible shape, and they're both excellent "gentlemen farmers." The pretty-boy President is lovely to look at, but I have to kick it pretty hard to approach my customary BBS.

Hang in there. Once you get it and if you love it, getting it tailored to taste is no shame!

Mine too. I am not fond of Gold plated finished either, and the 46-47 is one of the best razors Gillette ever made IMO. I got one at an antique store for $10 that was in terrible shape, shipped it off to Dave at WCR and got it replated in rhodium and he replaced the missing end cap also. Photos of before and after below. The replate ran about $75 including him making a new endcap for it, but it is absolutely my favorite razor in my rotation and will outlast me, so it was money well spend IMO...

Before:
View attachment 255922

After:
View attachment 255923

Wow, what a great looking razor! I'm going to have to think about doing this...

Mine too. I am not fond of Gold plated finished either, and the 46-47 is one of the best razors Gillette ever made IMO. I got one at an antique store for $10 that was in terrible shape, shipped it off to Dave at WCR and got it replated in rhodium and he replaced the missing end cap also. Photos of before and after below. The replate ran about $75 including him making a new endcap for it, but it is absolutely my favorite razor in my rotation and will outlast me, so it was money well spend IMO...

Before:
View attachment 255922

After:
View attachment 255923

Like night & day.

Top Bottom