What's new

Ugggh. I'm already "Jonesin" for another NEW Razor in less than a week!

Hi all,

Vintage Razors, I have many (nearly two hundred) since I started collecting Razors (and joining B&B) at the end of this past March 2019. So, last week, I decide I would purchase ONE NEW Razor just to try out. I (more or less) had an idea of which Brand I was going to go with and with the help and guidance of many wonderful B&B members, I made my decision and purchased a MERKUR 37C SLANT which I received last week. To say I'm impressed with the SLANT would be an understatement. The SLANT is beautifully made/beautiful looking and it is an OUTSTANDING shaver! I swore that I was only going to buy ONE new Razor......yea.....right. So, here I am already scoping out the Net looking for a second NEW Razor.
The thing is, as much as I like (photo wise) the looks of the "Timeless" (and other $$$$ Razors) such as "Wolfman", Charcoal Goods, The Ambassador, etc. I do NOT want to spend TOO much money for such a Razor, ESPECIALLY when the likes of Merkur is available for such a (dear I say) bargain cost.
So, now I'm trying to decide if I should go with another model Merkur or perhaps try a RazorRock or ?

Of interest to me (thus far) is the Merkur 15C,
the 34 G (GOLD) Heavy Duty Classic
and (I must confess, I'm REALLY digging this one)
the two piece Merkur 38C Heavy Duty (4" Long Handle) Barber Pole Safety Razor.

For those in the know, how does RazorRock compare to Merkur in overall quality/shave ?

God, I've got R.A.D. bad! Thanks for any help/other Razor suggestions/recommendations.

SixCats!

Hi all,

Uggggh. But of course the Rabbit Hole is deeeeep (and never ends)! Oooh well.....I suppose it could be worse.
I could be into collecting vintage Cars or such. Hi @fast shaver, I must confess, I do consider my Barbasol Floating Head Razor to be my "Excalibur" of Razors! Last week, I found a "Gillette BULLDOG and a beautiful Gold Diplomat"
(as well as a Slim Adjustable, a PRISTINE 1955/July Gillette A-3 RED TIP (my Birth Year and quarter) and a beautiful 1918 Khaki Military Kit. So, one would THINK I'd be satisfied but nooooooo, it only makes my R.A.D. worse! Must.....find......"Double Ring" !

1572828061323.png

SixCats!

I'd say go for the Merkur 34G. I have a 34C and that's one of my favorite razors. However, it is zamak razor so the thread might break with improper uses.

I own couple Razorock razors and they are wonderful. The Stainless steel options will last a long time and they also have some great aluminum options as well. The Mamba is personally my favorite Razorock razor but I also enjoy the Game Changer.

Coming from a minimalist in this hobby/art and only having 3 razors...it would appear as though you have got issues, but that is just me. If I had to look at over 200 razors, it would give me anxiety.

Hi all, Thank you for all your suggestions. I will check each Razor suggestion (again) and this time, I will take a little bit more time before "pulling the trigger" on a new Razor.

@never-stop-learning : "To be a 'Questing Knight of the Holy Razor' carries great weight and responsibility".

YES! Yes indeed it does! Thank you!

SixCats!

I had a 37C for a while, and I didn't fancy it all that much. I found that it was aggressive without being all that efficient. The all stainless RazoRock razors seem to me to the best combination of quality and price on the market right now. If you like efficient razors, go for the Game Changer .84 or the open comb. If you're willing to spend a bit more, there are a host of all stainless steel razors to consider, Rockwell 6S, Muhle Rocca, Blackland Dart, Edwin Jagger 3one6, etc.

Hi @Steve-in-CT,

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy the 37C. I find your comments regarding the Slant being "aggressive and not efficient" perplexing. I had the complete OPPOSITE experience! Ummmm, perhaps a different brand of Blade might be in order ? Worth a try.

SixCats!

Hi @Steve-in-CT,

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy the 37C. I find your comments regarding the Slant being "aggressive and not efficient" perplexing. I had the complete OPPOSITE experience! Ummmm, perhaps a different brand of Blade might be in order ? Worth a try.

SixCats!
I think it’s just the YMMV thing. What works for some doesn’t work for all. Different skin, different beard, different technique. I sold the 37c and moved on to other razors that work better for me.

Hi all,

Vintage Razors, I have many (nearly two hundred) since I started collecting Razors (and joining B&B) at the end of this past March 2019. So, last week, I decide I would purchase ONE NEW Razor just to try out. I (more or less) had an idea of which Brand I was going to go with and with the help and guidance of many wonderful B&B members, I made my decision and purchased a MERKUR 37C SLANT which I received last week. To say I'm impressed with the SLANT would be an understatement. The SLANT is beautifully made/beautiful looking and it is an OUTSTANDING shaver!

SixCats!

I picked up a Hoffritz slant a couple of months ago - barrel is brassed and split, I glued it onto the base. The head is super clean and shiny. But I've been using it since I got it. I never appreciated a slant before - maybe it's just this one. A really nice, easy shave.

For a DE, the slant is a slightly different game.

I can't figure out why I haven't rotated it out. I usually prefer a rocket.

-jim

Must.....find......"Double Ring" !
SixCats!
Don’t go down that temptation hole.
First it will be one. Then you will need a friend for it. Then they will need to have a party with their... gollum... ahem, excuse me, their Friends.

Attachments

• 261BC83B-E9F0-4BE1-AC37-D89189068ECF.jpeg
    261BC83B-E9F0-4BE1-AC37-D89189068ECF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
Top Bottom