What's new

UFO handles new prototypes the "Tornado" and the "Zeus" Land in Upstate NY

Is the "Zeus" too big, too heavyl or do you think I'm just crazy

• Too Big

• Too heavy

• You are crazy

Results are only viewable after voting.
This handle is not for the faint of heart. 166 grams (handle only) 85 mm long, 20 mm wide, one handle to rule them all....THE ZEUS.

Here is the background story, *warning it is not very sexy. About one month ago I contacted Juan at UFO Razor Handles and started talking about creating some custom stuff. Juan shared some details about the current prototypes he and Raphael were working on and he also divulged details about some available offerings. I got to work thinking about what my "perfect " handle would be, thinking about length and width etc.

(Keep in mind I did not have the intention of creating the biggest and baddest I just wanted something that felt right in my hands and that allowed no effort while shaving.)

So after about a week of thinking and testing my handles noting pros and cons of each, I broke out the credit card and ordered 3 handles from my new buddies in Seville. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the first "Tornado" (see the picture) which I was told is a prototype that will be released some time this Christmas, the Goliath XL and my own brain child the "Zeus" which Raphael made to my specs. The Zeus is a absolute monster, I have never seen anything that even comes close to this thing plus it is even more beautiful that the Goliath's.

7 days later, 2 days shipping to reach customs in NYC and 5 days to reach upstate NY...I received the "Tornado" (Named by me) and the "Goliath XL" at the same time. The Goliath is close in length to the IKON OSS handle and although the knurling looks wicked, it is no where near the "grippyness" of the Weber or IKON handles. After using the IKON OSS handle, Weber Bulldog and the UFO I prefer the UFO knurling. I am going to get a little sarcastic but it is all in good fun :) . Now if I were on vaction roped in on the side of a cliff on mount Everest, and I wanted to make sure I didn't loose my grip I would take my Weber bulldog with me, not knocking the "grippyness" its just too much for me. The IKON OSS handle is one step down in "grippyness" however it has more of a brushed "bead blasted" feel and look to it which IMO makes it less aggressive, again a great choice however I find this handle to be too thin for my huge hands, I kept wanting MORE, something bigger and heavier....

What Raphael has done with the Zeus is amazing, the weight and balance makes any head a cutting machine. Its like using a Slant razor, seriously close shaves every time with no maneuvering problems.

Enter the UFO knurling : Beautiful museum quality work by Raphael. I am no curator, however I would venture to guess that after the apocalypse the Zeus will be unearthed for display of the best representation of shaving artwork. The knurling is deep and has all the grippyness one will ever need while not making shaving difficult. I find that the deeper knurling actually makes it harder to re-position the razor in my hands while shaving again YMMV. When you first see the Zeus you may think, this is just too big and too heavy, I say hold your comments for after you have tried the Zeus. Yes it cost more than probably 3 or 4 razors in your collection, yes it is heavy, yes the knurling is not as pronounced as its smaller bulldog brothers but for me it is just perfect.

Here are pictures, the Tornado and my baby the "Zeus" one handle to rule them all........ My wife is the picture taker, the pics you see are from Raphael and Juan as soon as she comes home today I will work on taking some new pictures of all my handles together.....

ENJOY :) and feel free to ask questions I am really looking forward to learning what everyone's thoughts are..

Best to all - MR. B.
. $Tornado.jpg$Zeus.jpg$Zeus comparison.jpg

UPDATE*** I wish I had added one more option on my Poll for I love it! bit I was a little too quick to get this posted. When the wfie is home later and takes new pics I will start a new poll with more options.

Get a grip Mr B... (sorry, had to go there!)

But seriously, some really neat custom work and thumbs up to UFO.

I have gotten some requests to list the handles in the last picture. I only posted this to show the size of the Zeus, the pic came from Raphael and I have no idea what the other handles are. I imagine they are all around the 13mm-15mm width. The Zeus is second from the left (the largest)

I was just in touch with them right before their vacation started last week about an 18mm handle. I may have to up it to the 20mm now. I will have a different Knurling done so I can give mine a new name: Mjölnir!

Those are truly awesome handles!

I just wish the guys in Seville would make a head or two to go with their handles. That would be something, too.

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

The thinner handles are very elegant but that fat one just doesn't look right to me.

You are crazy...in a good way :biggrin1:

Looking forward to feedback on the dynamics of the Zeus in action!

+1 on the idea of the folks from Sevilla making distinctive heads to go with these manly handles.

When you first see the Zeus you may think, this is just too big and too heavy, I say hold your comments for after you have tried the Zeus. Yes it cost more than probably 3 or 4 razors in your collection, yes it is heavy, yes the knurling is not as pronounced as its smaller bulldog brothers but for me it is just perfect.

So have you used it much yet? For sure, it's a stunning piece of metalwork, but will it come out on top versus it's slimmer, lighter rivals? How does it weigh in on cost against the regular UFO handles?

It reminds me of a Stahly.

But a Stahly has guts and shakes.

That thing just looks like a toe breaker. I don't care how deep the knurling is, one slip and you're limping for weeks.

Stunning handle Mr B! I just received my Goliath the other day and I'm very impressed with Raphael's craftsmanship. I'm thinking about placing an order for another handle or two, maybe three! Jeez I'm turning into a razor handle whore!
Between my tradere, UFO Goliath, Weber classic and bulldog and two bull mastiff xl handles from Bob im having a hard time picking one to use.

I understand the charm of larger handles but the weight always turned me off. When will some one make a large handsome handle that's hollowed/bored out?

I like the one on the far right of the bottom picture.

If you like the fat, heavy handle, more power to you. It's certainly a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

Ah...and I thought my Goliath XL (100mm long and 15mm diameter) at 123 grams was big! No Zeus for me...sure, I can lift it (I can also flip 1046lb tires competitively), but not sure I want to shave with it daily. No question though, that's a beautiful piece of work. On second thought...maybe I ought to order the Zeus in a 100mm length and call it a Zeus XL...it could also prove useful as a "sidearm" on my business trips. :001_cool:

Top Bottom