What's new

Ufc 98

Anybody looking forward to this? I haven't been too enthused about the last couple of events, and this one hasn't come together well. It's certainly been slapped together--an unbelievable number of fights and fighters scratched in the course of trying to fill up the card. Still, I like Machida and I hope he takes advantage of his top billing. Hughes v. Serra? Sherk v. Edgar? Could be good fights, but they could also be disappointing thrashings. I suspect that we'll see a lot of the undercard. Even so, I'll be in front of my TV on Saturday night--my kids are pretty excited about it and this is first time in a long time that we can watch the fights together.

Not insanely excited about this particular one but will certainly watch. Would be nice to see Machida finally get some recognition if he takes out Evans...we'll see though. More looking forward to Dream 9 (do you guys get that in the States?)

http://www.dreamofficial.com/

Some good matchups...and a few freak shows.

I'll probably watch this one because several of us are meeting at a buddy's in Concord for the Coca-Cola 600, and the majority of us are fight fans. But 100 is the one I'm waiting for. These two are just holding me over because, like you said, the last few have been pretty anti-climatic.

In fact, over the last year or two, I've actually grown to enjoy the WEC more than I do the UFC. I suppose getting the fights for free helps, but as for the events themselves, I've never felt like any of them were uneventful.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Fighting is always about styles, and Machida and Evans are two of the most unconventional guys I've ever seen.

Not insanely excited about this particular one but will certainly watch. Would be nice to see Machida finally get some recognition if he takes out Evans...we'll see though. More looking forward to Dream 9 (do you guys get that in the States?)

http://www.dreamofficial.com/

Some good matchups...and a few freak shows.

Yep, we get is broadscast on hdnet, they usually start after 100am in the states but are then rebroadcast the next day in the evening. I do enjoy the tournament they put together.

As for style this will be an interesting macthup with machida and evans. Gonna really depend if machida wants to be elusive or aggressive. You know what my money is on...

It will be interesting to see what kind of game plan we see from Machida. You can bet that Evans camp has broken down Machida's style in great detail and come up with a pretty good plan to counter it. However, nobody knows that better than Machida and I'm sure that he will try to show something different. That's what I think will make this a good fight.

Last edited:
I watched them Saturday night and thought for the most part they were all really great.

Sherk vs. Edgar was great. Edgar is so fast and light on his feet. Sherk needs to change his game plan.

Serra vs. Hughes was pretty good. I thought that Serra was stalling on the ground to that the ref would stand them up.

Machida vs. Evans. That was a sick fight. Machida is incredible. I thought that Evans power might be a factor if he could connect with Machida. I didn't think that Machida's power was going to be the factor.

Definitely some good fights--the event turned out to be much better than I hoped. I don't think that Chael Sonnen is a very exciting fighter, but he certainly took advantage of his chance to get onto the card. Edgar also impressed, but Sherk looked about like he did against Penn. I agree that he needs to come up with a new plan--maybe a new gym? I get the super conditioning thing, but does that mean you can't even get a little head movement going when you're on your feet?

Hughes was impressive in his twilight fight. Although he was just about out on his feet, he showed a lot of class by hanging on. Having said that, he didn't really do much damage to Serra and, had Serra been a little more active, the outcome might have been different. Once the excitement wears off, maybe Hughes should rethink his intention to keep competing.

Machida looked great. I was hoping that the fight would go a little longer because I wanted to see what Rashad's gameplan was. I guess that we'll have to wait for the rematch to find out what Jackson had come up with--unless Rashad gets knocked out again.

Now to get ready for Dream. I'm off tomorrow, so maybe I'll get up early and watch it real time.

There were a few seconds where I thought that Machida had killed Rashad, just seeing the way his head lolled and the angle of his neck up against the fence when he fell.

Still was a good time, had a bunch of friends over and accompanied the fight with tacos and tequilla.

Good card for sure:cool:

I called the Machida knockout, and I'm hereby predicting a 2 year title reign. Machida brings something completely different to the table...someone will figure him out eventually, but its gonna be a while...

Top Bottom