What's new

Ufc 98 & 99

With the dissapointment of UFC 97, I'm already looking forward to UFC 98 and UFC 99.

98 Speaks for itself. It's going to be awesome.

Main card

* Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida
* Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra
* Middleweight bout: James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries
* Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Dan Miller
* Lightweight bout: Sean Sherk vs Frank Edgar

UFC 99
While he is past his prime, IMO, I've always been a fan of Rich Franklin, and I'm really looking forward to him and Silva at a catchweight of 195. I think they both will fight well at that weight.

Additionally there some other good matchups.

Main card

* Catchweight (195 lb) bout: Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva
* Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Heath Herring
* Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Ben Saunders
* Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy
* Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno

Preliminary card

* Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs. Justin Buchholz
* Lightweight bout: Dennis Siver vs. Dale Hartt
* Welterweight bout: Paul Taylor vs. Peter Sobotta
* Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Rolando Delgado
* Heavyweight bout: Denis Stojnic vs. Stefan Struve
* Heavyweight bout: Mostapha Al Turk vs. Todd Duffee
* Welterweight bout: John Hathaway vs. Rick Story

Mick Swick is always entertaining. Dan Hardy and Marcus Davis should be a good bout. And Spencer Fisher and Caol Uno could be a quality fight as well.

Even the Prelim card looks like a lot of fun, hopefully they'll show some of those fights as well.

Last edited:
Those should both be good, but I'm looking forward to the rematch of Lesner & Mir at 100. Here's hoping Brock turns his face into a bag of soup!

I agree with everything you said, except that part about Rich Franklin being past his prime. I'm not sold on that idea. Of course, I haven't really seen him fight lately, so I could just be disillusioned. I just get a feeling about Franklin that he still hasn't shown up in full potential.

any one watch the champion vs. champion card last week?
i agree on rampage jackson outcome and the rest,but the bisping-hamil bout?i wonder if the judges were watching the same bout that i was.hamil dominated the first two rounds and bisping was recovering in the third while hamil was getting winded.yet bisping won all three rounds according to the judges scorecards.
i know the bout was in london but i did not expect the "hometown" scoring to be a factor.i think that is the first time i have seen that in ufc.i've seen "nationality" scorekeeping in pride,but not in ufc.
btw-i'm not a real fan of bisping or hamil,too much mouth on both.jackson too.IMO

Rampage is at least funny when he does it, though. Bispbing is already on my nerves and we're only 3 episodes into this season of TUF....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think the UFC has gone downhill. Dana certainly has a grip on the hype part, but the bouts rarely live up to it.

The one that strikes me as interesting is Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida. Talk about two unorthodox styles! :w00t: Who will catch whom?

The one that strikes me as interesting is Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida. Talk about two unorthodox styles! :w00t: Who will catch whom?

I think it's going to be one helluva knockout or 5 rounds of total boredom just like Silva/Leites. I think they are both hungry enough that it should be better Silva's latest effort. Gosh, I hope so at least.

Last edited:
Tim, I couldn't agree more. UFC 97 was a disappointment. I am glad that Krzysztof Soszynski was much improved and put on a good showing. Outside of that the rest of that card went exactly as I predicted/suspected.

Below are my thoughts on 98 and 99:

98 Speaks for itself. It's going to be awesome. (I agree, looks like a great card).

Main card

* Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida If I were a gambling man I'd put my money on Machida. I really like Rashad. I didn't care for his antics on TUF, but as he has progressed in the UFC I've become a fan. No one can deny he is a fantastic wrestler and his striking gets better every time we see him. If Evans is smart and doesn't allow Machida to stay on the defense (a fighting style that is in many ways similar to the Iceman of old) he will have a chance. However, if he insists on constantly staying on the attack he will fall right into Machida's trap and likely get KO'd.
* Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra: This fight could go either way but I'm hoping for a Hughes victory. I can't stand the arrogance of Serra.
* Middleweight bout: James Irvin vs. Drew McFedries: Should be a good match up
* Middleweight bout: Yushin Okami vs. Dan Miller: Another good match up. I'd put my money on Okami.
* Lightweight bout: Sean Sherk vs Frank Edgar: I've got Sherk with the finish.

UFC 99
While he is past his prime, IMO, I've always been a fan of Rich Franklin, and I'm really looking forward to him and Silva at a catchweight of 195. I think they both will fight well at that weight. (I agree on this assessment. However, if both fighters come out at their best as they were in their prime I'd have to give this one to Silva.)

Additionally there some other good matchups.

Main card

* Catchweight (195 lb) bout: Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva: Tough call, I'm going with Silva
* Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Heath Herring: Should be an entertaining fight. I'm giving this one to Cain.
* Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Ben Saunders: I'd love to see another 6 second KO from "Quick" but I think it will go longer than that.
* Welterweight bout: Marcus Davis vs. Dan Hardy: I like the Irish Hand Grenade
* Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Caol Uno: Should be a great fight!

Preliminary card: Great prelim card. Three of these fights could easily be on the main card.

* Lightweight bout: Terry Etim vs. Justin Buchholz
* Lightweight bout: Dennis Siver vs. Dale Hartt
* Welterweight bout: Paul Taylor vs. Peter Sobotta
* Lightweight bout: Paul Kelly vs. Rolando Delgado
* Heavyweight bout: Denis Stojnic vs. Stefan Struve
* Heavyweight bout: Mostapha Al Turk vs. Todd Duffee
* Welterweight bout: John Hathaway vs. Rick Story

What I'm really excited for is UFC 100. Two titles on the line and hopefully a stacked PPV overall!

Evans over Machida...might be a close fight.

Serra - Hughes too close to call :) They really hate each other don't they haha

in UFC 99 I think Silva will completely dominate Rich Franklin. No contest at all in my opinion. Velasquez over Herring in a walkover as well.

UFC 100...Mir over Lesnar although Lesnar has the power to destroy. WHat do you guys think about the strategy in this one? I think Mir should either throw a mess of leg kicks or go straight for takedowns.

Evans over Machida...might be a close fight.

Serra - Hughes too close to call :) They really hate each other don't they haha

in UFC 99 I think Silva will completely dominate Rich Franklin. No contest at all in my opinion. Velasquez over Herring in a walkover as well.

UFC 100...Mir over Lesnar although Lesnar has the power to destroy. WHat do you guys think about the strategy in this one? I think Mir should either throw a mess of leg kicks or go straight for takedowns.

I agree if they both come out game on Silva will own Franklin, but if he comes out like he did in his first couple of fights back in the UFC Franklin will likely beat him. This is another one of those fights that has the potential to be fast and furious or a flop.

As for Lesnar/Mir I think Frank would be crazy to try and take Brock down. First of all Brocks sprawl is going to be fast and furious. Plus you have to consider how he dropped Couture. Brock has the power to make even a glancing blow a KO. He is also a Wrestling machine (real wrestling not WWE) so despite Mir's BJJ skills I think Brock would out wrestle him. I think if Mir is going to win this one it will be similar to his first victory over Brock and he'll catch him with a submission that Brock never saw coming due to his inexperience. I also think it will likely come in the form of a leg lock because I truly think that Brock could power out of many of Franks attempts on the upper body and his neck makes most chokes nearly impossible. This fight could truly go either way. Brock will either out muscle and/or KO Frank or Mir will catch him off guard and submit him. I think speed and strength go to Brock and experience/submissions go to Frank. I didn't want to be a Lesnar fan despite knowing him from his collegiate wrestling background. He is a super athlete more so than many in the MMA game. I knew ultimately he'd be a champion but I didn't suspect or want him to get there so quickly. However, now that he is there I'd like to simply see him stay on top. He is great for the UFC (may be their biggest money maker) and brings a new fan base with him. This is another one of those that will either be a fierce fast battle or a slow strategic one. I'm saying it'll be a blitz and I'm going to go with Lesnar. He is the better athlete and I think he will learn from his mistake against Mir last time. I only hope he isn't timid and afraid to engage because of the prior loss.

Hughes and Serra? Matt is one of my favorites, but isn't it time for him to retire? I don't know what happens to the dominant fighters; perhaps just a little loss in speed, timing or strength, or perhaps a loss in all three. Whatever it is, all fighters eventually lose that extra little edge that makes them dominant. I never thought Liddell could lose 4 out of his last 5, and at his prime, he may have been the most dominant pound for pound of any fighter. For Chuck, he may not be as superquick on his counterpunches as he once was. For Matt H., he doesn't seem to be clearly physically stronger than his opponents as he once was, and certainly doesn't seem to me as quick. I wish some of these ex dominants would simply take a nice bow and exit the fighting stage in a graceful manner. I suppose many ex dominants have dreams that they can still come back and win, even into their early 40s like Randy C., but that never happens (excepting The Natural) of course.

Hughes and Serra? Matt is one of my favorites, but isn't it time for him to retire? I don't know what happens to the dominant fighters; perhaps just a little loss in speed, timing or strength, or perhaps a loss in all three. Whatever it is, all fighters eventually lose that extra little edge that makes them dominant. I never thought Liddell could lose 4 out of his last 5, and at his prime, he may have been the most dominant pound for pound of any fighter. For Chuck, he may not be as superquick on his counterpunches as he once was. For Matt H., he doesn't seem to be clearly physically stronger than his opponents as he once was, and certainly doesn't seem to me as quick. I wish some of these ex dominants would simply take a nice bow and exit the fighting stage in a graceful manner. I suppose many ex dominants have dreams that they can still come back and win, even into their early 40s like Randy C., but that never happens (excepting The Natural) of course.

In a perfect world Hughes would do to Serra what he did to Gracie and then announce his retirement. Like Chuck, I'd like to see Matt Hughes retire on a great win. Unfortunately it looks/sounds like that isn't going to happen for Chuck.

Top Bottom