UFC 94 Penn vs. St-Pierre Poll

Penn or St-Pierre, who will win UFC 94

• Hilo Boy wins by unanimous decision

• Montreal Man wins by unanimous decision

• Hilo Boy wins by split decision

• Montreal Man wins by split decision

• This bloody violent circus makes me want to vomit and our society is sick

Results are only viewable after voting.
I didn't watch the fight but I read about it this morning. It seemed pretty one sided. You said that BJ didn't get in one lick? Really? That is really one sided.

My condolences.

I think that BJ can dominate the lightweight division for a long time, I think that WW is just to heavy for him. Also, wasn't this the first time that he had a complete camp? By that I mean all the different coaches plus a nutritionist? I wonder if that had any affect on him?

Yes, it was that one sided!

BJ is outclassed by GSP in everyday life and he was totally outclassed by GSP in the ring. GSP worked him over bad. I thought that GSP would ground and pound him out. When BJ quit (sorry BJ fans, but truth is he quit) I was flabbergasted. It was a great fight for GSP. BJ is way too small to be fighting as a Welter Weight. He was a bit flabby at 168lbs where as GSP was totally shredded at that weight. GSP is normally a 185-190lb dude. If BJ got as ripped as GSP he'd probably only weigh about 145lbs.

I don't think its fair to say BJ didn't get any licks in.

The first round was a stalemate...GSP pressed him against the cage and tried to work a single, and BJ hopped around and stuffed it. The brief striking exchanges were fairly cautious, with neither guy landing anything of note.

Between rounds Greg Jackson told GSP 2 things...first, that if he wanted to take BJ down he'd have to pick him up. Second, that he shouldn't bother...Jackson told him to "kickbox with him" and to "take a round on striking."

And thats what GSP tried to do in the beginning of the second...he came out trying to bang, and BJ promptly landed two crisp, clean combos. After getting hit a couple times GSP went back to the takedown, and was finally able to turn the corner on his single.

Thats where GSP started to impress me...I was blown away by his ability to handle BJ's guard. He sat in it and threw bombs, he passed it like it was nothing and held side control...he just generally showed no respect for one of the most dangerous guards in the world, and BJ had no answer. That changed the fight completely...BJ lost his mental edge right there, and it was all over for him. When he finally got up his hands were slow, his footwork was gone, and Georges teed off on him (and took him down at will). The 3rd and 4th rounds were ugly.

The rest of the card was a little dissapointing. Silva/Machida was pretty entertaining...Silva played right in to Machida's hands, and Machida showed just how good he is at what he does. Diaz/Guida was fairly entertaining too, but Diaz got robbed.

I don't think its fair to say BJ didn't get any licks in.

The first round was a stalemate...GSP pressed him against the cage and tried to work a single, and BJ hopped around and stuffed it. The brief striking exchanges were fairly cautious, with neither guy landing anything of note.

Between rounds Greg Jackson told GSP 2 things...first, that if he wanted to take BJ down he'd have to pick him up. Second, that he shouldn't bother...Jackson told him to "kickbox with him" and to "take a round on striking."

And thats what GSP tried to do in the beginning of the second...he came out trying to bang, and BJ promptly landed two crisp, clean combos. After getting hit a couple times GSP went back to the takedown, and was finally able to turn the corner on his single.

Thats where GSP started to impress me...I was blown away by his ability to handle BJ's guard. He sat in it and threw bombs, he passed it like it was nothing and held side control...he just generally showed no respect for one of the most dangerous guards in the world, and BJ had no answer. That changed the fight completely...BJ lost his mental edge right there, and it was all over for him. When he finally got up his hands were slow, his footwork was gone, and Georges teed off on him (and took him down at will). The 3rd and 4th rounds were ugly.

The rest of the card was a little dissapointing. Silva/Machida was pretty entertaining...Silva played right in to Machida's hands, and Machida showed just how good he is at what he does. Diaz/Guida was fairly entertaining too, but Diaz got robbed.

You are right, it is unfair to say he didn't land any hits, but that is how most will remember it. BJ did connect on a couple of decent combos, but from the first round this fight really just looked like BJ was in survival mode. I really hope Sean Sherk was watching and taking notes. Sherk is actually big enough to run with the WW's (unlike BJ) and has to work very hard to cut enough weight to fight as a LW. Although, I think Sherk is the only one likely to unseat BJ anytime soon in the LW division.

I agree the Silva/Machida fight was good. But I have one question, when are fighters going to realize the Machida is a defensive/counter attack fighter and stop chasing him around the ring? I'm not taking anything away from him, he is great, but fighters need to stop handing him exactly what he wants.

The Diaz/Guida fight was decent. Any fight with Clay Guida in it is always going to be at the very least entertaining. When the fight was over and we were waiting for the results I told everyone at my house that Guida was going to win by split decision. It was close, but Diaz just never really got much going overall. I mean he had a few good counters and almost switched a few things on Clay, but overall Guida had control through most of the fight. It was close though.

V

VR6ofpain

I need to see this event when it is free. I knew GSP would own BJ. Just as said previously GSP is ripped to death. BJ is barely built. With that said, BJ still seems to be pretty powerful considering he doesn't look it. Must be a Hawaiian thing or something.

I think Machida is awesome. No one else in mainstream MMA fights like that guy. His karate is serious and he is very entertaining to watch fight. I loved his fight against Tito Ortiz.

Two more rematches I want to see (on the WEC side of things):
Faber vs. Mike Brown
Cerrone vs. Varner

I am also looking forward to the March 1st card with Mike Brown vs. Leonard Garcia. That should be pretty interesting. I figured if Mike Brown keeps his belt, they will likely have Faber fight him again.

BJ is outstanding as a lightweight I don't there is anyone who can challenge him in his division, but GSP (or Van Damme :biggrin: as prefer to call him) is just in a different class. He's a true welterweight, Penn's not. Penn just can't compete, I really hope there won't be a 3rd match, it would be a disgrace. There are so few guys who can compete in multiple weight classes. Can you image GSP trying to go up to 185? Silva'd kill him. BJ: Keep your belt, and stick with the lightweights.

I agree the Silva/Machida fight was good. But I have one question, when are fighters going to realize the Machida is a defensive/counter attack fighter and stop chasing him around the ring? I'm not taking anything away from him, he is great, but fighters need to stop handing him exactly what he wants.

I think that this is what has happened to Chuck Liddell. Everyone knows he is a counter puncher so they don't play into his game. They make him come to them with disastrous results for Chuck.

I think that this is what has happened to Chuck Liddell. Everyone knows he is a counter puncher so they don't play into his game. They make him come to them with disastrous results for Chuck.

I agree Chuck survived and successfully defended his title almost exclusively by running away and being a counter puncher. That is in fact how/when I started losing interest in him as a fighter.

I agree Chuck survived and successfully defended his title almost exclusively by running away and being a counter puncher. That is in fact how/when I started losing interest in him as a fighter.

Outside of Matt Hughes's run as champion, I used to think Liddell was the most dominant fighter in any weight class. Not so anymore. I haven't watched enough MMA of late to know who might be the most dominant current fighter. It might be GSP.

Outside of Matt Hughes's run as champion, I used to think Liddell was the most dominant fighter in any weight class. Not so anymore. I haven't watched enough MMA of late to know who might be the most dominant current fighter. It might be GSP.

Fedor, Silva, Torres, GSP I would say are the top 4. I can't decide on my number 5. Faber would have been up there but he caught that elbow. Miguel Torres is the best fighter nobody knows...guy is just sick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mm...ner-cheat-to-give-him-an-edge-?urn=mma,138156

Doesn't matter GSP won and dominated. He was too much for BJ. Besides the area and amount that the guy could have applied wouldn't have made the difference in a fight BJ clearly lost.

I think the corner man should be sanctioned or barred.

Thoughts?

I agree with every thing you wrote. Phil Nurse should know better. GSP doesn't need any advantages.

I think that Wanderlei Silva was one of the most dominate fighters. He destroyed guys in pride. The other guys mentioned are all great dominate fighters also.

I think the Chuck Liddell is the most dominate fighter the UFC has ever had. Only counting UFC fights.

I think the corner man should be sanctioned or barred. Thoughts?

I'd say suspended for the next bout at least and some kind of sanction on GSP's organization. Penn has a right to call foul on that one, but it's small potatoes in regards to the outcome. I remember watching GSP's corner man wiping his shoulders and chest and I thought that was kind of weird looking. It didn't look like he was loosening up tight muscles. It was obvious to me he was being lubed up.

I'd say suspended for the next bout at least and some kind of sanction on GSP's organization. Penn has a right to call foul on that one, but it's small potatoes in regards to the outcome. I remember watching GSP's corner man wiping his shoulders and chest and I thought that was kind of weird looking. It didn't look like he was loosening up tight muscles. It was obvious to me he was being lubed up.

I agree, there needs to be something. But it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

I think they are blowing this situation out of proportion so that the UFC can market a 3rd fight between Penn and GSP. I think Penn is sick of being with the lightweights, because they aren't taken as seriously as the other divisions so he desparately wants to move up with the welters, but doesn't want to fight his way through the division like he did years ago.

In terms of someone fighting in a couple divisions, I really want to see Anderson Silva taking on some top guys at 205.

Top Bottom