What's new

Two Weeks In, Frustrated But Not Yet Giving In

Yes, we might be getting at the true core of the issue here. If your lather is good, but your still getting irritation, either its irritation from the brush that you are using, or, its too much blade aggression. So you are correct sir, you might require a lesser blade aggression. Kudo's to you for your willingness to adjust your shave. :thumbup1:
Actually, plate 4 would be more aggressive. Someone had pointed out on another forum that I might be making too many strokes to try and get a closer shave, causing the irritation. They suggested a more aggressive razor that would more efficiently cut the hairs, requiring fewer passes, resulting in less irritation.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Actually, plate 4 would be more aggressive. Someone had pointed out on another forum that I might be making too many strokes to try and get a closer shave, causing the irritation. They suggested a more aggressive razor that would more efficiently cut the hairs, requiring fewer passes, resulting in less irritation.

They are most certainly right about that! You should have seen my face sometimes after shaving, with my Feather AS-D2, its so inefficient, that it forces one to keep going over the same spot over and over, till you get that BBS, and by that time, you got irritation.

Things started improving once I got my Rex Ambassador, cause its way more efficient. Then I got a Merkur Futur, its about equal to my Rex Ambassador for efficiency, except, that the Futur provides more of a smooth shave.

I now have a Timeless Titanium T95, but I got only one shave under my belt with it, so I still need to shave more, to develop a more informed opinion on it. But so far, its appearing to be the smoothest razor I have in my arsenal, and it also is efficient too!

Keep us apprised of your findings Rick, I am rooting for you! :)

I've been at this game since february this year. for me the single hardest thing is the lather. I have my technique down, though a feather will still bite. more and more I am finding them over rated. I have become a huge fan of astra blades. just keep at it, and give yourself a good two day growth to learn how your beard grows. that was huge for me, more than any other tips. I do a 3 pass for DE safety as well as a straight (feather shavette).

for me the initial WTG pass does not knock a lot out. with the DE at least. the straight I could probably get by with just a WTG and AGT. it is the XTG and ATG that really does the trick. my pattern is not super crazy, but around my jawline hairs grow out toward my ears instead of straight down. so I will do my upper cheeks, then that section.

Ok... quick update. I didn't shave yesterday, more because my wife and I were busy getting stuff done and since I was going to be busting my hump I figured a shave was unnecessary. So today I was two days growth on my face and three on my head. Popped plate 4 on my Rockwell 6s and a new Nacet blade. Best. Shave. Yet. since I started DE shaving. BBS and minimal to no irritation. Hopefully those results are repeatable. We shall see tomorrow.

I got frustrated as you described and one night decided to shave in an X pattern in those trouble spots on the neck....; it's not just one X but multiple 4?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ok... quick update. I didn't shave yesterday, more because my wife and I were busy getting stuff done and since I was going to be busting my hump I figured a shave was unnecessary. So today I was two days growth on my face and three on my head. Popped plate 4 on my Rockwell 6s and a new Nacet blade. Best. Shave. Yet. since I started DE shaving. BBS and minimal to no irritation. Hopefully those results are repeatable. We shall see tomorrow.
Maybe waiting an extra day between shaves is what your face wants.

~doug~

Maybe waiting an extra day between shaves is what your face wants.

~doug~
Nah. I HATE having facial hair. It irritates the crap out of me. I much prefer being clean-shaven and I grow enough daily that I can do it. When I was shaving with carts this wasn't an issue. I got BBS shaves every time with a Fusion ProShield. But I would prefer to be able to use a DE razor. It's been another few weeks since I last updated and while there've been some nicks, overall it's going well. The Rockwell 6s has become my go-to, and Gillette Nacet blades are proving to be very good for me. I'm using some Razorock and Stirling soaps and while I think I still need to work on my lather, it's getting better and I'm getting some very smooth shaves.

Nah. I HATE having facial hair. It irritates the crap out of me. I much prefer being clean-shaven and I grow enough daily that I can do it. When I was shaving with carts this wasn't an issue. I got BBS shaves every time with a Fusion ProShield. But I would prefer to be able to use a DE razor. It's been another few weeks since I last updated and while there've been some nicks, overall it's going well. The Rockwell 6s has become my go-to, and Gillette Nacet blades are proving to be very good for me. I'm using some Razorock and Stirling soaps and while I think I still need to work on my lather, it's getting better and I'm getting some very smooth shaves.
Glad you hear the shaves are improving for you.

can you share your experience with the Razorock GC .84P plate? looks like the plate 4 of 6S works better than the .84 for you

can you share your experience with the Razorock GC .84P plate? looks like the plate 4 of 6S works better than the .84 for you
When I first got the GC I got it with the .68P plate and got a lot of irritation. It was suggested that a more aggressive plate would result in less irritation so I went with the .84P plate, and yes, things did get better. But I decided I wanted more than the two options so I purchased the 6S. The 6S on plate 4 has been a huge improvement overall. Fewer weepers, little to no irritation, closer shaves. I can do my face in 2 passes and get BBS, and my neck in 3 passes for near BBS (certain areas just don't wanna go that smooth!)

Just because it had been a while and I couldn't quite remember what it was like, I shaved today with the GC84P, spurred on by your comment. Maybe it's because I hadn't used it in some time, but it was a less comfortable shave than the 6S. More irritation and a few weepers. Nothing terrible, but the 6S seems much better to me.

Glad you found a good razor and blade combination. Your next evolution maybe to up your soap game.. If it is more slickness you seek, maybe MWF, Deckaration Grroming, or Wholly Kaw, might do the trick, JM

When I first got the GC I got it with the .68P plate and got a lot of irritation. It was suggested that a more aggressive plate would result in less irritation so I went with the .84P plate, and yes, things did get better. But I decided I wanted more than the two options so I purchased the 6S. The 6S on plate 4 has been a huge improvement overall. Fewer weepers, little to no irritation, closer shaves. I can do my face in 2 passes and get BBS, and my neck in 3 passes for near BBS (certain areas just don't wanna go that smooth!)

Just because it had been a while and I couldn't quite remember what it was like, I shaved today with the GC84P, spurred on by your comment. Maybe it's because I hadn't used it in some time, but it was a less comfortable shave than the 6S. More irritation and a few weepers. Nothing terrible, but the 6S seems much better to me.
I have bought a gazillion vintage razors just because I like old stuff that needs cleaning and refurbishing. BUT, my Rockwell 6S is like my port in a storm. I know exactly how it is going to behave, and if something is different than my prior experiences, I know it's not the razor. Like you, I have a "problem" area on the left side of my neck. For me, it's the area from just under my jawline to about the level of my Adam's apple. The Rockwell (on plate #4 also, ha!) is my most consistent performer in that area. I can approach BBS, but usually attain just DFS+ in that area. My go to blade is the German-made Wilkinson Sword, but many blades seem to work well in the 6S for me. Sometimes, on those last touch ups, I flip the #4 plate over and use the #2.

Hope this helps.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Like you, I have a "problem" area on the left side of my neck. For me, it's the area from just under my jawline to about the level of my Adam's apple.
Same here. A few tricks I have been successful with are lightly pushing my neck on the right side, and also pushing gently on my neck just below my left ear instead of the usual stretching methods that don't work there.

It seems to bulge the hollow out just enough to shave cleanly without irritation. I tried it just looking in the mirror first without a razor and I could see it push the skin out, tried it and it works for me.

~doug~

I’ve been wet shaving for five years now. I don’t use any of my original kit, but do use a lot of the kit I bought two months after starting. As you’ve seen, there are almost an infinite amount of combinations that can be created by all of the different variables we have going on. @Chan Eil Whiskers mentioned doing a fixed four. This is a major way I improved my shaves.

I dont recall seeing what type of brush you are using, but I started with a boar brush. If you are using a boar, I would switch to a synthetic. Similar price point, and the boar will require a break in period (plus it is easy to give yourself brush burn with it). The Stirling soap can be excellently slick if you use a synth or badger and enough water.

Your lather being “suspect” has come up in several of your posts. Grab a cereal bowl or mixing bowl that won’t get you in trouble with anyone else you’re living with, your soap and brush, and experiment creating lather. Use a spoon or something to add your water to the bowl in a fixed way and really work the lather in the bowl and also on your palm. Keep adding water to the bowl and after the water is fully incorporated, take the brush to your palm and really feel what the lather is like. Load up massively on the soap before starting. Keep adding water until you break it and the lather starts getting foamy and loose and blows out. You’ll notice a difference on the palm doing this and you can see how the lather should feel. Then rinse everything out and start with your normal amount of soap (I count number of swirls on the soap, for Stirling I usually do 30-40 swirls or so personally). Add water, keeping track this time of how many spoonfuls (teaspoons or whatever you’re using to measure) it takes, and get the lather to where you want noting how much water that took. I would also take this to a blown out lather and then you know how much water would be too much for a given amount of soap. Use this amount of soap and water for your next shaves and continue bowl lathering for them. Once you get used to this method, you can switch back to face lathering, making sure the lather feels the same. If at any time your lather isn’t feeling the same, start over with the bowl lathering and your “perfect” amount of soap and water.

That whole process might take an hour or so to get the lather “just right”. But spending that hour now means you can get perfectly consistent shaves going forward. It also uses the equipment you have now, so no extra money, and you are already at least somewhat familiar with. I personally use Stirling on occasion, but I find other soaps a bit better for my skin (barrister and Mann, saponificio Varesino are my go tos). Ymmv.

Sounds like a good fixed four in your case would be the nacets, 6S with four plate, your brush and your preferred soap. Stick to it for 30 days and see how it goes.

My shaves also improve immensely if I give my skin 36-48 hours between shaves. Every day was a bit much for my skin. My whiskers were long enough and I also don’t like the stubble feeling, but the difference it has made for my skin has been astounding. Some people can’t do this with their work. One other aspect that I noticed in a recent post was that you may also head shave, is that right? I do not head shave. Based on my reading from a site that tests blade sharpness, pm me if you want the site as I don’t think I can link off B&B if memory serves, shaving the head is about two shaves worth of wear on a blade. So if you face and head shave, that’s about 3 shaves worth of wear. Some gents don’t like to go over 6-10 shaves on a blade, even flipping it. The relatively duller edge is more likely to bend the whisker and cut at an oblique angle, which can lead to ingrown hairs and irritation. So maybe try to stick to just 2 or 3 shaves on a blade when doing both head and face all together. Again, no actual experience so maybe others that do both can chime in on their experience, but with a DE blade I would try this until you’re more experienced and have your shaves dialed in where you want.

Hope some part of this far too long post is helpful to you. Enjoy your shaves!

I’ve been wet shaving for five years now. I don’t use any of my original kit, but do use a lot of the kit I bought two months after starting. As you’ve seen, there are almost an infinite amount of combinations that can be created by all of the different variables we have going on. @Chan Eil Whiskers mentioned doing a fixed four. This is a major way I improved my shaves.

I dont recall seeing what type of brush you are using, but I started with a boar brush. If you are using a boar, I would switch to a synthetic. Similar price point, and the boar will require a break in period (plus it is easy to give yourself brush burn with it). The Stirling soap can be excellently slick if you use a synth or badger and enough water.

Your lather being “suspect” has come up in several of your posts. Grab a cereal bowl or mixing bowl that won’t get you in trouble with anyone else you’re living with, your soap and brush, and experiment creating lather. Use a spoon or something to add your water to the bowl in a fixed way and really work the lather in the bowl and also on your palm. Keep adding water to the bowl and after the water is fully incorporated, take the brush to your palm and really feel what the lather is like. Load up massively on the soap before starting. Keep adding water until you break it and the lather starts getting foamy and loose and blows out. You’ll notice a difference on the palm doing this and you can see how the lather should feel. Then rinse everything out and start with your normal amount of soap (I count number of swirls on the soap, for Stirling I usually do 30-40 swirls or so personally). Add water, keeping track this time of how many spoonfuls (teaspoons or whatever you’re using to measure) it takes, and get the lather to where you want noting how much water that took. I would also take this to a blown out lather and then you know how much water would be too much for a given amount of soap. Use this amount of soap and water for your next shaves and continue bowl lathering for them. Once you get used to this method, you can switch back to face lathering, making sure the lather feels the same. If at any time your lather isn’t feeling the same, start over with the bowl lathering and your “perfect” amount of soap and water.

That whole process might take an hour or so to get the lather “just right”. But spending that hour now means you can get perfectly consistent shaves going forward. It also uses the equipment you have now, so no extra money, and you are already at least somewhat familiar with. I personally use Stirling on occasion, but I find other soaps a bit better for my skin (barrister and Mann, saponificio Varesino are my go tos). Ymmv.

Sounds like a good fixed four in your case would be the nacets, 6S with four plate, your brush and your preferred soap. Stick to it for 30 days and see how it goes.

My shaves also improve immensely if I give my skin 36-48 hours between shaves. Every day was a bit much for my skin. My whiskers were long enough and I also don’t like the stubble feeling, but the difference it has made for my skin has been astounding. Some people can’t do this with their work. One other aspect that I noticed in a recent post was that you may also head shave, is that right? I do not head shave. Based on my reading from a site that tests blade sharpness, pm me if you want the site as I don’t think I can link off B&B if memory serves, shaving the head is about two shaves worth of wear on a blade. So if you face and head shave, that’s about 3 shaves worth of wear. Some gents don’t like to go over 6-10 shaves on a blade, even flipping it. The relatively duller edge is more likely to bend the whisker and cut at an oblique angle, which can lead to ingrown hairs and irritation. So maybe try to stick to just 2 or 3 shaves on a blade when doing both head and face all together. Again, no actual experience so maybe others that do both can chime in on their experience, but with a DE blade I would try this until you’re more experienced and have your shaves dialed in where you want.

Hope some part of this far too long post is helpful to you. Enjoy your shaves!
I’ll hit the highlights here. Thanks for the response first off.
Re: the brush, I’m using a Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic. Seems to work well.
The lathering seems to be getting better. Last week of shaves I’ve gotten some good slick lather.

Re: blades, I only use them once. They’re cheap enough compared to the carts I used to use.

For the most part I’ve stuck with the Nacets and the 6S on plate four and I’m happy with the results. Tempted to try plate 5 just to see if it does any better.

Appreciate your detailed reply!

First congrats on starting a new way of shaving, or for some of us a hobby. I myself just came back after years of being a Beard person. So I'm relearning what works best for me.

That being said; don't rush as it does take time before you figure out what works and what doesn't. As in weeks or months, or for the professional hobbyist years in search for the holy grail. But once you've found your groove it is definitely more enjoyable than the speedy shave using a modern multi-bladed thingamajig.

As to your neck: think of it as a project to work on. While you focus on what is working right so far. Perfect what is working and try different things on that problem area without overshaving to get that BBS.

My neck like many is more sensitive and often more of a pain to get right. I have found that for me two different methods seem to help. Chin up, and I mean way up helps under my chin. While using using my non-shaving hand to pull away or towards my adams apple helps lower down. Generally pulling on our skin in different directions causes certain hairs to stand up. Eventually you'll figure out what works for you.

I’ll hit the highlights here. Thanks for the response first off.
Re: the brush, I’m using a Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic. Seems to work well.
The lathering seems to be getting better. Last week of shaves I’ve gotten some good slick lather.

Re: blades, I only use them once. They’re cheap enough compared to the carts I used to use.

For the most part I’ve stuck with the Nacets and the 6S on plate four and I’m happy with the results. Tempted to try plate 5 just to see if it does any better.

Appreciate your detailed reply!
For me plate 4 was OK but 5 caused a lot of irritation, to the point that I quit using this razor. Moved to Karve OC C and now to RR Lupo DC. Muhle Rocca also works for me.

Top Bottom