What's new

Two unrelated questions, alum and bowls

I don't think there's any point in separating this into two posts, but correct me if necessary...
1. Does anyone happen to have a formula I can use to dissolve several pieces of alum stone into a usable spray that would give the same potency as using it in stone form as deodorant?
2. Does it really matter if a bowl has ridges inside or not for making a lather once having loaded a brush on a soap?

Thanks!

I can't answer your question # 1.
For your # 2, I like bowls with ridges, as they allow me to whip up a smooth rich lather.

IMG_4345.jpg
IMG_4348.jpg

The first question suggests a level of "chintzy" not seen since Jack Benny was confronted by an armed robber demanding, "Your money or your life!"

To which he replied, "I'm thinking it over!"

Buy your alum from vendors in India over eBay. This isn't The Great Depression and you aren't a stockbroker standing on a ledge.

You don't need ridges to make a good lather. I use a smooth glass bowl and make perfect lather almost every time.

Now sure they can help to make the process faster but they are not mandatory.

Push down on your brush and agitate it, don't be scared to use force.

You don't need ridges to make a good lather. I use a smooth glass bowl and make perfect lather almost every time.

Hmm, ok. Well, I've been told numerous times to never push down hard on shaving brushes because that causes the center of the brushes to get a dimple as the center hairs break from the force.

I use synthetics and boars, the only hair loss I had was from the boar during the first lathers. Maybe badgers are different.

I use synthetics and boars, the only hair loss I had was from the boar during the first lathers. Maybe badgers are different.
I use synthetic as well but I believe it was somebody here who told me, roughly "the reason your badger brush has a dimple and no longer seems to hold good lather is because you've breached the top by pumping your brush which you should never do with any brush. Always a circular motion only." So then I went looking online and for videos and sure enough anyone who really knows what they're talking about suggest against pumping the brush regardless of what it's made of.

As to your first question, the ridges do make it easier to work up a lather, but that's not to suggest that not having ridges makes it difficult to make a lather. I have bowls with and without ridges and find very little difference between the two. Maybe I save all of 5 seconds of time when using a bowl with ridges. But I spend much more time whipping up lather, slowly adding water until it is a nice tight, bubble less consistency with a nice sheen to it. I have both with and without and both make great lather.

As to your second question, there are many alum spray deodorants out there. I've found several on Amazon alone. I'd also check the bay. I don't use the stuff but am thinking of trying some now that you've brought it up.

I don't think there's any point in separating this into two posts, but correct me if necessary...
1. Does anyone happen to have a formula I can use to dissolve several pieces of alum stone into a usable spray that would give the same potency as using it in stone form as deodorant?
2. Does it really matter if a bowl has ridges inside or not for making a lather once having loaded a brush on a soap?

Thanks!
1. I make my own deodorant spray and it has been used with success by the whole family, for many years.
Here is what I do. In a mortar I crush potassium alum with the pestle, until a coarse powder. I put one tablespoon of the powder in an 8oz spray bottle, then fill the bottle with distilled water. Shake vigorously several times until all alum is dissolved. I make 4 to 6 bottles at a time. This is my "formula" and use it at your own risk.
2. I suppose it does matter to some degree. I used both, a smooth clean bowl (which is my daily one and favorite) and bowls/scuttles with wavy bottom. I didn't see a miracle happening so I don't think it will have a major impact on the quality of the lather.

1. I make my own deodorant spray and it has been used with success by the whole family, for many years.
Here is what I do. In a mortar I crush potassium alum with the pestle, until a coarse powder. I put one tablespoon of the powder in an 8oz spray bottle, then fill the bottle with distilled water. Shake vigorously several times until all alum is dissolved. I make 4 to 6 bottles at a time. This is my "formula" and use it at your own risk.
2. I suppose it does matter to some degree. I used both, a smooth clean bowl (which is my daily one and favorite) and bowls/scuttles with wavy bottom. I didn't see a miracle happening so I don't think it will have a major impact on the quality of the lather.

I may try your "recipe" for alum spray. Maybe I'll crush the last bit of alum block I have as it becomes harder and harder to hold it while ribbing it on my face. That way none will go to waste. Great idea. Thanks for that.

The first part I agree with you dont need ridges to make a lather, but Sorry never use force on a brush as this is the result from doing just that this is how I bought it btw.

20160525_194526.jpg

You should only use the tips of the brush to create your lather.

Last edited:
If you say so!!! But they still bend or kink but to force your brush down is a big no no what ever it is, so if a member want's to abuse the brush that's up to them. That's why the makers tell you never force the brush down on the knot...

Just coming back to this again... your dissolved stone never clogs up the spray head or tube?

Just coming back to this again... your dissolved stone never clogs up the spray head or tube?

Why do the pestle thing at all? Just wet a bar of alum under the faucet and rub your armpits with it. It is a freaking Swedish underarm stone.

And why are Bronze Age threads being resurrected so frequently these days?

Top Bottom