What's new

Two Straight Razor Projects

I've gotten around to putting some of my engraving work on some raozrs. My engraving looks really good if you are standing across the street and you squint real hard. . :biggrin: I'll show the progress as I go. One is already sold and the second, the one-piece, will be looking for a home.

They are both my own design. Here's how they start out. Oh, the steel is 01.

Here are the finished profiles. I rough cut these with a band saw. I hate doing that. It's one of the reasons I don't kick out more razors. I'll be getting a plasma cutter to see if that helps.

The next step is working the master grind. (that's the hollow grind of a blade) I also worked in a little embellishment with the engraving on the one that isn't sold yet. It's a single-piece smaller razor similar to the Japanese style. Except mine has the grind on both sides of the blade. I will also be engraving something on the side of the handle.

Bill - the engraving looks top notch like you've been doing it for years. I really enjoy seeing your work but even more so I like to see the process. I appreciate you sharing. One question for you...how do you get the black or shading around the engraving? Is that a bluing or something? Don't forget to post more pictures as those pieces progress!

That is awesome. Thanks for posting and keeping us updated. I really enjoy seeing how a craftsman works his magic. I am also curious about the black in the engraving.

Here are the finished profiles. I rough cut these with a band saw. I hate doing that. It's one of the reasons I don't kick out more razors. I'll be getting a plasma cutter to see if that helps.

Just curiosity: Why do ya hate bandsaws?

I have only used a plasma cutter about fifty times or so (plasma newbie, I guess) and they are OK, but can be a little slaggy...if you know what I mean.

What about bidding out laser or abrasive water-jet? It kinda sucks having to wait on someone else, but the edges are pretty clean and uniform.

There's a fat chance you'll be having work up to your neck in the future, the guys around here seems to drown in drool lol... So am i by the way :rolleyes:

That looks fantastic Bill, your well on your way to mastering yet another art form. I can't what till this one is done!!! Very Nice!!!

R

radray5

Beautiful work, I'm also interested in getting the black filling in the engraving.

Bill;

Always great to see your latest projects. Nice work!

Regarding your 'rough cutting' of the blade blanks, I would like to suggest that you look into EDM wire cutting as an alternative to your band saw work. This is not a technique that you can do on your own (way too expensive an investment), but if you can find a good machine shop that has such a setup you can usually get work done for reasonable prices. This especially makes sense since EDM work is extremely precise and can also cut through most any metal... even hardened tungsten. In fact, the tooled edge that comes from the EDM machine doesn't require any extra finishing (although you would want to round and polish it for a razor. Even better, once the tool is programmed for your first cut you can have additional blanks cut for little extra. Letting the EDM do the hard work of blank cutting would leave you extra time to put your creative skills into the beautiful touches you add to your razors in terms of grinding, polishing and decorating.

- Ignatz

Bill;

Always great to see your latest projects. Nice work!

Regarding your 'rough cutting' of the blade blanks, I would like to suggest that you look into EDM wire cutting as an alternative to your band saw work. This is not a technique that you can do on your own (way too expensive an investment), but if you can find a good machine shop that has such a setup you can usually get work done for reasonable prices. This especially makes sense since EDM work is extremely precise and can also cut through most any metal... even hardened tungsten. In fact, the tooled edge that comes from the EDM machine doesn't require any extra finishing (although you would want to round and polish it for a razor. Even better, once the tool is programmed for your first cut you can have additional blanks cut for little extra. Letting the EDM do the hard work of blank cutting would leave you extra time to put your creative skills into the beautiful touches you add to your razors in terms of grinding, polishing and decorating.

- Ignatz

Heh, I used to run a WEDM. Yeah, you could cut blanks pretty fast once you set it up. You could even stack the sheets and cut multiple razors at the same time. You could have some pretty neat razor designs too.

The surface finish from the cut is a little ugly. It comes off pretty easily though on unhardened steel. I was under the impression that abrasive water jet and laser cutting was faster than that. Only from hearsay, I haven't ever used one of those before.

One question for you...how do you get the black or shading around the engraving?
It's a special darkening compound applied with a tiny tiny pinstriping paint brush. That was a lie, but I can't give away all my secrets. :001_smile I will say you can also use a sharpie permanent marker and then wipe off the black from the highlights.

There's a fat chance you'll be having work up to your neck in the future
Actually, it's been that way since I retired and started accepting custom orders and restorations again. I have a sizeable waiting list and it is sometimes bothersome to me that folks have to wait so long to get their razors and knives.

Just curiosity: Why do ya hate bandsaws?
Because I can't get them to cut the curves and I can't mirror the profiles on the steel, so I wind up wasting a lot of it. I like the idea of having someone cut them with any of the forms mentioned, but then I have to consider whether I am willing to have my stuff called benchmade rather than custom. See other thread. I wasn't aware of the wire cutting process and find that one worthy of some further research. I am also not sure how to find one of these places that does that kind of work on a small scale. If they charge, for instance, something like $20 a blade for the cut, I wouldn't be interested in doing it that way.

And, as always I am appreciative of all the compliments. Thank you

It's a special darkening compound applied with a tiny tiny pinstriping paint brush. That was a lie, but I can't give away all my secrets. :001_smile I will say you can also use a sharpie permanent marker and then wipe off the black from the highlights.

Actually, it's been that way since I retired and started accepting custom orders and restorations again. I have a sizeable waiting list and it is sometimes bothersome to me that folks have to wait so long to get their razors and knives.

Because I can't get them to cut the curves and I can't mirror the profiles on the steel, so I wind up wasting a lot of it. I like the idea of having someone cut them with any of the forms mentioned, but then I have to consider whether I am willing to have my stuff called benchmade rather than custom. See other thread. I wasn't aware of the wire cutting process and find that one worthy of some further research. I am also not sure how to find one of these places that does that kind of work on a small scale. If they charge, for instance, something like $20 a blade for the cut, I wouldn't be interested in doing it that way.

And, as always I am appreciative of all the compliments. Thank you

Hey Bill, I know a guy who has access to a bunch of laser machines, not just marking machines but huge cutting machines. I'll bet he could cut blanks in seconds for you and the would be right to shape ready for grinding.

Maybe you should send him a pm?

Top Bottom