What's new

Two SR per Shave

I've been returning to my vintage safety razor collection this week. I'll do a no detail first pass WTG with the safety and finish with two passes against and cross with the SR. I think knocking down the growth with another razor is allowing the edge on the SR to be preserved. Best shaves ever.

So, this AM I became curious if the professionals didn't use those large, heavy, blades for the "grunt" work followed by the smaller and perhaps sharper edges for subsequent detail work.

Maybe I can find out, but if you have some history, let me know please.

Im not sure what your finding is because of the different types or razors. I hair/whisker is not thinner or easier to cut when shorter imho. Keep in mind that a whisker cuts easier with a little length as it can move more and not be so stiff. My best shaves are on the second day.

Imagine two pieces of wire in a vice. One being very short and the other twice its length. The longer one flexes easier although they are the same size. So maybe its your ability to use a straight compared to a DE. Just a guess.

The less grind (near wedge) is a stronger edge as it has more steel suporting it. But i dont feel a full hollow edge wears out any faster.

Im not sure what your finding is because of the different types or razors. I hair/whisker is not thinner or easier to cut when shorter imho. Keep in mind that a whisker cuts easier with a little length as it can move more and not be so stiff. My best shaves are on the second day.

Imagine two pieces of wire in a vice. One being very short and the other twice its length. The longer one flexes easier although they are the same size. So maybe its your ability to use a straight compared to a DE. Just a guess.

The less grind (near wedge) is a stronger edge as it has more steel suporting it. But i dont feel a full hollow edge wears out any faster.

I was thinking about the concept of "beard reduction" with subsequent passes. A heavy large blade might be the best tool for the first pass followed by a more narrow blade for detail and clean up. Just thinking.

Yes, I can see how two days growth might be easier, but for me I would look like a wooly booger.

Top Bottom