What's new

Two special inheritances.

Hi all! Its been a little while. I have much to update on and contribute as a still noob to the beautiful ways of wet shaving. Anyway my grandfather died this week and I inherited one of his razors and I don't know who makes it. I know who distributes it I think but not what it actually is or who makes it. I also got his GBS brush and mug but thats another thread. I'd love it if anyone could help me out if you know about his razor.

The other I got for my uncle on the way back from grandfathers funeral that was my great grandfather. I love those three men very, very much! It is a Gillette Travel Tech made in the second quarter of 1970 I believe by the the codes. My last shave was with it and it was surprisingly efficient! They are both very special to me and one of the best reminders I have of them (and the special soap my wife gave me). More on that in a coming thread. Anyway here they are with my Merkur 23c, or 34c cand remember.

Anyway here they are with my shaving kit. I love Van Der Hagen everything, I know its cheap but its great for me! I tried Feather, Wilkinson, Persona, and Merkur blades. For me Van Der Hagen all the way! I think they got better. I hear they used to suck. Anyway what is this razor if anyone knows?
20230321_195211.jpg
20230321_195155.jpg
20230321_195510.jpg
20230321_195355.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hi all! Its been a little while. I have much to update on and contribute as a still noob to the beautiful ways of wet shaving. Anyway my grandfather died this week and I inherited one of his razors and I don't know who makes it. I know who distributes it I think but not what it actually is or who makes it. I also got his GBS brush and mug but thats another thread. I'd love it if anyone could help me out if you know about his razor.

The other I got for my uncle on the way back from grandfathers funeral that was my great grandfather. I love those three men very, very much! It is a Gillette Travel Tech made in the second quarter of 1970 I believe by the the codes. My last shave was with it and it was surprisingly efficient! They are both very special to me and one of the best reminders I have of them (and the special soap my wife gave me). More on that in a coming thread. Anyway here they are with my Merkur 23c, or 34c cand remember.

Anyway here they are with my shaving kit. I love Van Der Hagen everything, I know its cheap but its great for me! I tried Feather, Wilkinson, Persona, and Merkur blades. For me Van Der Hagen all the way! I think they got better. I hear they used to suck. Anyway what is this razor if anyone knows?
View attachment 1626523View attachment 1626525View attachment 1626526View attachment 1626527

I really love the knurling pattern on that short handled Gillette Ball End Tech. 😍

Yep. A China knock-off of a gillette tto. Some China models shave well.

The travel gellette tech has an aluminum handle. Goid little shavers. I think i have 4 or 5 of those leather kits with the travel razors. About the size of a large match book.

Yep. A China knock-off of a gillette tto. Some China models shave well.

The travel gellette tech has an aluminum handle. Goid little shavers. I think i have 4 or 5 of those leather kits with the travel razors. About the size of a large match book.
Thanks! Thats very helpful 🙂! I figured it was. I wish I knew more still. I'm obsessive when it comes to information about sentimental things in my life.

Last edited:
Here is a silver version of your set with blue lining. Date code 1966.
proxy.php

Nice little set.

I love Techs but I've never used the Travel Tech. I like short handles but that may be a little hard to use. Maybe the handle weight balances things out.

A touching and practical little inheritence!
Thanks! It's strange to shave with. It's not heavy at all definitely not enough for some. But I got a good shave out of it. I also use a much more mild razor so the outcome surprised me. Got alot of weepers but no razor burn. Just need practice 🙂.

i am a bit ocd about brands . ive had a normal sized tech razor before and to me the best blade in it was a gillette balde. if i were you id stick mwith something like gillette blue or gillette 7 o clok super stainless. to me it just seems llike it would have better cause they are made by the same company

i am a bit ocd about brands . ive had a normal sized tech razor before and to me the best blade in it was a gillette balde. if i were you id stick mwith something like gillette blue or gillette 7 o clok super stainless. to me it just seems llike it would have better cause they are made by the same company
I have the same feeling most of the time. But as of relatively recent I don't give my money to companies like Gillette or anything P&G if I can help it. Van Der Hagen seems fine and I like their stuff so I'm sticking with them. I only had WS blades cuz I ran out and I couldn't get any before work so it was the only thing I could get my hands on, and they were nice actually.

Top Bottom