What's new

Two questions about open comb razors

Reviewers don't seem as happy with the nickel plated new version.

I am perfectly happy with the PAA nickel DOC, as a mild razor. It has a great, grippy handle, too, not as long and hefty as RazoRock handles. For me, it beats the SLOC, which I either sold or gave away.

I don't have the original PAA DOC. The vintage Gillettes will not be as mild as your SLOC.

I really like my Merkur open-comb. Very mild and easy to use - which also makes it a good razor for head shaving. One of the mildest razors you can buy but it will still do a BBS with a three-pass shave.

Well, IMHO every well designed razor gives a BBS shave. It's more a question of how aggressive it is to your skin and how long the shave will last (after how many hours the five o'clock shadow appears). The Merkur OC is really extremely mild on the face (or other body parts), but the shave is not that long lasting. I think that's why the Super-Speeds, DR89s and such are goldylocks to most guys in the end (still quite mild on the face and avarage lasting shaves, at least during the office hours). On the other end of the spectrum is (for me) the Mühle R41, quite harsh to the face but very long lasting shaves.

If you only do one pass with the grain it might be a different matter. Maybe a more effective razor with an as much as to tolerate aggressiveness on the face is the way to go.

But none the less, with a 15c you won't get wrong. It's a nice piece to have in the den. BTW it is based (but modified deu to Zamak manafacturing) on the most popular razor in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s, the Rotbart Mond Extra OC "Old Type" razor (I guess that's one reason why Gillette bought the company in 1926).

There are quite a few nice and mild Open combs. As mentioned above, the Razorock Old Type is fantastic, as well as the SLOC. A British Gillette Flat Bottom New is basically an open comb Tech, so that is a massively great shaver with a mild disposition. One of my favorite vintages. There are so many more.
Amen to the British flat bottom New, one of the best DE razors ever made.

Love my PAA DOC Ascension razors (Stainless and Copper version). Just be careful as to which model since the PAA DOC range is extremely confusing. To my knowledge the Ascensions are all the same be that Aluminium, Stainless or Copper. The Ascension select twist made of Zamak? or the chrome Zamak? who knows if the same.... very confusing. Then you have the DOC (original) and the EVO

So questions:
1) Do all open comb razors have the same ability to buff more safely?
2) What are some other very mild, reasonably priced open comb razors?
1) No - be careful with Fatips, Above the Tie OCs, R41, etc.
2) The Parker open comb razors are forgiving yet efficient. I also like the RazoRock Old Type head, which is less mild than the SLOC and more efficient/effective for me than the Merkur 15C.

I was talking specifically about the regular flat bottom new. Not the RFB. It’s a bit milder and simpler than the RFB. It really is just an open comb tech. And it’s obtainable. The RFB is quite a magical razor though.

My mistake. I had thought the regular flat bottom was a Tech.

BTW, I used a regular English flat bottom for about a year, but I sold it. For me, it was no smoother and less efficient than either my US pre-WW2 (triangular slots) Tech or my plain Jane 1970 Tech. The RFB New is another story. It’s more efficient than either of the Techs and almost as smooth. The OC has something to do with it, I’m sure.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sometimes a base plate change adjustable razor is nice and the Razorock Game changer open comb.84 would be a good choice, I have the SLOC or mellon head and was going to suggest that but you find it mild. The RR GCOC .84 would be a step up from the SLOC and is reasonably priced and there are lots of reviews on Italian barber to review and on B&B also.

The Merkur 15C is a quality mild shaver. The handle is the biggest difference from the SLOC. I am a big believer in short, skinny handles.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm at the stage where I barely consider the handles. Unless they're too long. So I guess I like short handles too.

Well, IMHO every well designed razor gives a BBS shave. It's more a question of how aggressive it is to your skin and how long the shave will last (after how many hours the five o'clock shadow appears). The Merkur OC is really extremely mild on the face (or other body parts), but the shave is not that long lasting. I think that's why the Super-Speeds, DR89s and such are goldylocks to most guys in the end (still quite mild on the face and avarage lasting shaves, at least during the office hours). On the other end of the spectrum is (for me) the Mühle R41, quite harsh to the face but very long lasting shaves.

If you only do one pass with the grain it might be a different matter. Maybe a more effective razor with an as much as to tolerate aggressiveness on the face is the way to go.

But none the less, with a 15c you won't get wrong. It's a nice piece to have in the den. BTW it is based (but modified deu to Zamak manafacturing) on the most popular razor in Germany in the 1920s and 1930s, the Rotbart Mond Extra OC "Old Type" razor (I guess that's one reason why Gillette bought the company in 1926).
That makes sense. And I've noticed the "fill in the blank o'clock shadow" effect too. Mostly with sharper blades. Thanks for the bit of history about the 15C. :)

No, the SLOC is a dual comb razor not just an open comb. Most, Fatip, have a solid cap like every other razor. It's just the safety bar is a comb instead of a solid bar.
Thanks for the explanation. So the regular open comb razors don't have the lubricating function that DOC razors have?

Love my PAA DOC Ascension razors (Stainless and Copper version). Just be careful as to which model since the PAA DOC range is extremely confusing. To my knowledge the Ascensions are all the same be that Aluminium, Stainless or Copper. The Ascension select twist made of Zamak? or the chrome Zamak? who knows if the same.... very confusing. Then you have the DOC (original) and the EVO
Thanks for the heads-up.

Sometimes a base plate change adjustable razor is nice and the Razorock Game changer open comb.84 would be a good choice, I have the SLOC or mellon head and was going to suggest that but you find it mild. The RR GCOC .84 would be a step up from the SLOC and is reasonably priced and there are lots of reviews on Italian barber to review and on B&B also.
Thanks Ron. There may be too many reviews! I do seem drawn to Razorock razors though.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My mistake. I had thought the regular flat bottom was a Tech.

BTW, I used a regular English flat bottom for about a year, but I sold it. For me, it was no smoother and less efficient than either my US pre-WW2 (triangular slots) Tech or my plain Jane 1970 Tech. The RFB New is another story. It’s more efficient than either of the Techs and almost as smooth. The OC has something to do with it, I’m sure.

‘there are both. The Flat Bottom Tech, and the Flat Bottom NEW. One is closed comb. One is open comb.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks. Mine was closed comb. I’ve never seen an open comb flat bottom that’s not RFB.

Here’s a couple I have handy.

7EE6727D-BA72-40F7-82A5-37C77A20676D.jpeg

Top Bottom