What's new

Two questions about open comb razors

Let me state my shaving priority: BBS or DFS are wonderful and I love them, but my priority is not getting cut. I can't shave like Geo Fatboy and all these guys on Youtube whizzing around with their three pass shaves. I'm always just one pass and thrilled if I don't cut myself.

So, thinking only closed comb razors are mild, I bought some really mild (eg. Feather Popular) closed comb razors, and they shave really nice. But then I read here in the forum, and in reviews, in a thread called "What's your relaxing and (still) efficient razor?" where so many guys said the RR SLOC! The open comb SLOC.

Throwing caution to the wind (lol) I bought the non-stainless SLOC. Well, it took me a couple of days to try it because it looks so scary, but the reviewers were right--the razor is mild, really mild.

It's quite a different razor than my closed comb razors. It does not shave as close (but remember my priority is not getting cut) and in certain places it's a little tuggy, but it never cuts me. And it needs a lot of buffing (and takes longer to shave than with a closed comb razor), but it also leaves more lather and moisture after the first pass so buffing is easy and cut-free.

So the Feather Popular (with say an Astra SP) gives a great shave, but it can cut (my very sensitive face), where I have never even come close to cutting myself with the SLOC.

So questions:
1) Do all open comb razors have the same ability to buff more safely?
2) What are some other very mild, reasonably priced open comb razors?

So questions:
1) Do all open comb razors have the same ability to buff more safely?
2) What are some other very mild, reasonably priced open comb razors?

1. Absolutely Not. The reason the SLOC leaves extra stuff behind is because of the cap. A normal, solid cap will grab all of that extra goodness.

2. PAA DOC is nearly the same as the SLOC. For vintage, Gillette Long Comb. I prefer the Short Comb, but it’s a little more aggressive.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
There are quite a few nice and mild Open combs. As mentioned above, the Razorock Old Type is fantastic, as well as the SLOC. A British Gillette Flat Bottom New is basically an open comb Tech, so that is a massively great shaver with a mild disposition. One of my favorite vintages. There are so many more.

There are quite a few nice and mild Open combs. As mentioned above, the Razorock Old Type is fantastic, as well as the SLOC. A British Gillette Flat Bottom New is basically an open comb Tech, so that is a massively great shaver with a mild disposition. One of my favorite vintages. There are so many more.

+1 on the British Raised Flat Bottom New!

Yaqi's Mellon head could be another option for you. It is also a double open comb safety razor head. From what I've seen it is not agressive at all, if i were to compare it to EJ DE89 which is a classic for most of us, if i rate EJ DE89's head 5/10 in agressiveness-wise. Then this one should be 5.5~ something. Maybe 6. If you are a daily shaver and want to stay on the mild side, then you may want to consider this one also. Maybe with some touch ups I can guarantee you a BBS shave.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
+1 on the British Raised Flat Bottom New!
I was talking specifically about the regular flat bottom new. Not the RFB. It’s a bit milder and simpler than the RFB. It really is just an open comb tech. And it’s obtainable. The RFB is quite a magical razor though.

1. Absolutely Not. The reason the SLOC leaves extra stuff behind is because of the cap. A normal, solid cap will grab all of that extra goodness.

2. PAA DOC is nearly the same as the SLOC. For vintage, Gillette Long Comb. I prefer the Short Comb, but it’s a little more aggressive.
Thanks for answering my questions, but I'm unsure about your answer to #1. I was asking if all open comb razors leave behind lather after the first pass, and you mentioned a "solid cap." But don't all open comb razors have non-solid caps?

Thanks for answering my questions, but I'm unsure about your answer to #1. I was asking if all open comb razors leave behind lather after the first pass, and you mentioned a "solid cap." But don't all open comb razors have non-solid caps?

I'll chime in here. I don't have a SLOC razor, but I do have the original PAA DOC. Tightened all the way down, it's as mild a razor as you could ask for. Loosen the handle a quarter turn or so and it's a different beast altogether, which is the way I shave with it.

And if your razor is leaving a significant lather trail after a pass, you need to find the sweet spot where it no longer does that. I suspect you are "riding the comb" instead of riding the cap, which would bring the blade edge to bear more closely on your face.

Cutting isn't necessary due to open or closed comb but to technique, esp. pressure.
If a razor is mild or not depends on the geometry of the head not if it's a CC or OC.
If you want to go milder than the SLOC get a Merkur OC (eg. 15c) or get a Baili Update CC or a Weishi Butterfly (but those aren't consistent in mildness).
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard the 15c is very mild.

Thanks. The Razorock Old Type is new to me, but I'm definitely interested since I like the SLOC so much.

I really like my Merkur open-comb. Very mild and easy to use - which also makes it a good razor for head shaving. One of the mildest razors you can buy but it will still do a BBS with a three-pass shave.

I've got the travel version with a short two-piece handle (the 985, I think?). The Merkur 15C has the same head with a standard handle.

Yaqi's Mellon head could be another option for you. It is also a double open comb safety razor head. From what I've seen it is not agressive at all, if i were to compare it to EJ DE89 which is a classic for most of us, if i rate EJ DE89's head 5/10 in agressiveness-wise. Then this one should be 5.5~ something. Maybe 6. If you are a daily shaver and want to stay on the mild side, then you may want to consider this one also. Maybe with some touch ups I can guarantee you a BBS shave.
Thanks but I've heard the Mellon head is the same as the RR SLOC, which I've got.

I'll chime in here. I don't have a SLOC razor, but I do have the original PAA DOC. Tightened all the way down, it's as mild a razor as you could ask for. Loosen the handle a quarter turn or so and it's a different beast altogether, which is the way I shave with it.

And if your razor is leaving a significant lather trail after a pass, you need to find the sweet spot where it no longer does that. I suspect you are "riding the comb" instead of riding the cap, which would bring the blade edge to bear more closely on your face.
Thanks. I feel the SLOC is super mild too, but I've heard good things about the PAA DOC but the older version. Reviewers don't seem as happy with the nickel plated new version.

Thanks for giving me the words for what I was doing. Riding the comb. I knew about riding the cap and the safety bar, but yes, you're right, I've been riding the comb and I like it. I've got bumps and scars on my chin and by riding the comb I can do one pass and then there is that leftover lather that makes buffing easy.

I really like my Merkur open-comb. Very mild and easy to use - which also makes it a good razor for head shaving. One of the mildest razors you can buy but it will still do a BBS with a three-pass shave.

I've got the travel version with a short two-piece handle (the 985, I think?). The Merkur 15C has the same head with a standard handle.
Thanks. I'm very tempted by the 15C.

Top Bottom