What's new

Two-pound brisket ... oven cooking ideas??

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am hungry now.

I just scraped the roasting pan with the remnants of the onions, oil, maple syrup and about 1 1/2lbs of deliciously dark ham off the bone. There's going to be some incredible pulled pork and fried rice meals the next couple days.

The coons and the skunks will eat good tonight from the scrapings, burned fat and bones I dumped at the back of the yard. If the neighbors dog doesnt dig another hole under my fence and get it first lol.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Update ... it went "okay". Part of the brisket was too dry, no doubt because it was on top of the liquid rather than submerged. Were I to do this again, I would have more liquid so the meat is almost completely submerged.

The carrots, basically roasted inside the dutch oven but elevated out of the liquid, were stupendous.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Update ... it went "okay". Part of the brisket was too dry, no doubt because it was on top of the liquid rather than submerged. Were I to do this again, I would have more liquid so the meat is almost completely submerged.

The carrots, basically roasted inside the dutch oven but elevated out of the liquid, were stupendous.

Being a brisket, bbq sauce would have likely helped a bit. You can still end up with 'burnt ends', no matter how much you baste though. Thats the best part to me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
check the water level every hour, you dont want it to dry out. Add 2 heaping table spoons of butter at the first hour and baste well every hour after that.

On reflection I was not on the ball with the checking water levels and basting so that would explain the less than stellar results.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
On reflection I was not on the ball with the checking water levels and basting so that would explain the less than stellar results.

The heat setting can too. What was the oven set at?

A brisket isnt a thick cut of meat and 2lbs isnt that big. Too high a heat setting can cook it too quickly and burn the edges. Added a bbq sauce can slow that but without adding it often and basting you'll still burn the edges.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have a 2lb piece of Moose loin I'll be doing soon, maybe next week. I'll put in this thread how I do it and I'll take pictures too.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Most of the time 200 and a bit of 250 at the end.

Thats a good setting. It likely was the lack of basting and/or not enough moisture in the Dutch Oven. Thats one reason why I always use a lot of onion. Onions hold a lot of moisture and release it slowly as they caramelize.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thats a good setting. It likely was the lack of basting and/or not enough moisture in the Dutch Oven. Thats one reason why I always use a lot of onion. Onions hold a lot of moisture and release it slowly as they caramelize.
I never thought of it that way- thanks.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm waiting with baited breath...and drooling also.

Thats one part I miss about deer hunting. The tenderloins always came out when we did the skinning. I was the head skinner for a lot of years and I'd cut the tenderloins out and give them to my brother in law that would slice them an inch thick, salt them, then put them on the grill over hardwood coals.

Thats some good eating while skinning and quartering my way through the hanging deer. There were always at least 2 deer and one year, 7.

This Moose loin is from the tail end, about a foot long and 4-5"s thick. I'll rub it with coarse salt, pepper and paprika, sear it in a cast iron pan then lay it over a thick bed of Vidalia onions, a couple glugs of olive oil, some garlic, water and halved parsnips and in it'll go at 300F for a couple hours. Then whole carrots and potatoes for another couple of hours.

About a half hour before its ready to come out, I'll make a gravy and pour it into the roasting pan with everything else. Let it boil a bit and thicken and it will be time to dine lol.

Now I think about it, I might add some bourbon to the pan before the gravy. Hmmmm.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I eat White onion raw, but when cooking its Vidalia, as long as I can get them. Spanish if I cant.

Might be late but do you have the means to slice it super thin?

Grill it well done (few seconds), dip it in a mix of salt/pepper/sesame oil, and you will be happy.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Might be late but do you have the means to slice it super thin?

Grill it well done (few seconds), dip it in a mix of salt/pepper/sesame oil, and you will be happy.
Not too late for me- mine is still in the freezer. Thanks for the great idea.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'd add some Teriyaki sauce to the oil or maybe even a dip as they went on the grill.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I eat White onion raw, but when cooking its Vidalia, as long as I can get them. Spanish if I cant.

I go with white onions when I want raw onion that has a bite, and I go with sweet onion when I want raw with less bite. I go with yellow onions for cooking. Sweet onions fall a bit flat when cooked.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I go with white onions when I want raw onion that has a bite, and I go with sweet onion when I want raw with less bite. I go with yellow onions for cooking. Sweet onions fall a bit flat when cooked.

I'll cook with any, it depends what the stores have in stock at the time. I've cooked with a combination of Vidalia, Sweet, Spanish and Red onions. Onion soup has been on my mind lately too.

On the Moose loin front, I'll be checking for Parsnips again tomorrow. I havent found any nice ones in my travels yet.

Top Bottom