What's new

Two-pound brisket ... oven cooking ideas??

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I recently came into possession of a brisket, aprox. 2lbs, and am looking for good ideas for cooking it. This will be in the oven, not BBQ/smoker (which a I think a lot of guys do.) Anyhow, it's not a cut of meat I have familiarity with (apart from a general knowledge that "low and slow" is the way to go.)

Thoughts, suggestions, and recipes welcome!

My first choice would be a smoker the second choice might be a crock pot as this is a tougher cut of meat.

If you have a crock pot maybe look up Slow Cooker Brisket or something like that for a recipe.
Sorry, not what you were asking but maybe a better solution.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'd line the roasting pan with one large Vidalia onion, maybe one ounce of olive oil and a 1/2 cup water. Coat the meat with Paprika and give it a good sear it in a hot pan, then place it on top of the onions.

Roast covered for a good six hours, 8 would be better, but check the water level every hour, you dont want it to dry out. Add 2 heaping table spoons of butter at the first hour and baste well every hour after that.

Add halved parsnips and carrots at the two hour mark directly into the water/butter/drippings around the meat, baste them too.

Add potatoes two hours before it comes out.

You can make a gravy from the drippings a 1/2 hour before it comes out but if you do, add a bit more water into the roasting pan to keep the moisture level up. Give it a good stir in the pan and let the parsnips and carrots braise nicely.

The same idea as this;

Pork roast rubbed well with salt, pepper and paprika then seared in a hot pan. On a bed of sweet onion, olive oil and garlic. Yellow potatoes, parsnips and carrots with 1/2 cup water added.

I'll make the gravy and add it with one can of baby potatoes an hour or so before it comes out, which is going to be later than I hoped...

IMG_3070.JPG

Eight hours at 300F should break it down pretty well. If you're unsure you could set it to 350F for the first two hours.

Making me hungry haha.

A beef roast in a crock pot with two cans or Campbell's French Onion soup, two cans or Campbell's Beef Consume and two Guiness Draft beers for around eight hours on high makes the best French Dip Sandwiches you've ever had. Way better than the ones you find in restaurants. Butter some nice French rolls and add some cheese before toasting them in the oven for a short time, then add the meat and you're good to go.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm very late to the party here. For me two pounds roasted in the oven will come out too dry to enjoy. I think I'd go pot roast slow cooking.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd line the roasting pan with one large Vidalia onion, maybe one ounce of olive oil and a 1/2 cup water. Coat the meat with Paprika and give it a good sear it in a hot pan, then place it on top of the onions.

Roast covered for a good six hours, 8 would be better, but check the water level every hour, you dont want it to dry out. Add 2 heaping table spoons of butter at the first hour and baste well every hour after that.

Add halved parsnips and carrots at the two hour mark directly into the water/butter/drippings around the meat, baste them too.

Add potatoes two hours before it comes out.

You can make a gravy from the drippings a 1/2 hour before it comes out but if you do, add a bit more water into the roasting pan to keep the moisture level up. Give it a good stir in the pan and let the parsnips and carrots braise nicely.

The same idea as this;

Eight hours at 300F should break it down pretty well. If you're unsure you could set it to 350F for the first two hours.

Making me hungry haha.
Whats the plan Doc?

I'm thinking an "Esox roast" done in a dutch oven inside the actual oven, and use some red wine with the water inside the pan. Probably tomorrow.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm thinking an "Esox roast" done in a dutch oven inside the actual oven, and use some red wine with the water inside the pan. Probably tomorrow.

I did that two days ago with a 10lb Hickory smoked ham.

2 Vidalia onions, sliced.

1/4 cup water.

2oz's olive oil.

1lb carrots.

6 large Yellow potatoes.

400ml Maple Syrup poured over the ham.

6 hours at 350F the first day. 6 hours at 300F yesterday. Basting every hour.

4 hours today at 200F. I just finished eating some again. Good God man, thats tasty. Bean soup next week, maybe.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I did that two days ago with a 10lb Hickory smoked ham.

2 Vidalia onions, sliced.

1/4 cup water.

2oz's olive oil.

1lb carrots.

6 large Yellow potatoes.

400ml Maple Syrup poured over the ham.

6 hours at 350F the first day. 6 hours at 300F yesterday. Basting every hour.

4 hours today at 200F. I just finished eating some again. Good God man, thats tasty. Bean soup next week, maybe.
I am hungry now.

Top Bottom