What's new

Two passes

It is not the blade chatter that makes it aggressive but the blade exposure.
yes, you are right. what I meant is that the scary feeling of the R41 (and its reputation to bite you for no reason) comes from blade chatter imo. I tried it with a top shim and chatter was eliminated, it wasn't anything like the R41 without the shim. It was tamed and the sensation of scariness was gone.

P.s.: I'm not using it with a shim, it was only an experiment.

I suggest you consider a Slim or Fatboy which would provide plenty of options. :thumbup1:

Why not try any of the adjustable DE out there, so you could play with the exposure? Plenty of options and with very different price points...
I would also suggest an adjustable. If you are on a budget, a Q-shave can be purchased from Amazon for around $15.00.
If into nostalgia, you couldn't do better than a Slim, or Fatboy, imho.
Then of course there are upper end adjustables, such as Rex Ambassador, Merkur Futur, etc..
But why would you want to stop the fun at two passes? :lol:

For me it's a 34C with a blade of choice; i.e., anything from Feather Hi-Stainless to Astra SP. Technique (in order to get a close shave) is key with a 34C. This razor has the wherewithal to tame Feather blades, even on sensitive skin. I've tough stubble and sensitive skin, and I recently discovered that I can use Feather blades in my 34C for my every-other-day shaves. As I've gotten used to the razor--as my feel for shaving with it has improved--I've had nothing but damned fine shaves. No skin burn, no post-shave rashes, never a nick or cut. My aftershave splash is Dickenson's natural witch hazel.

I have to say Plus 1 to what 'DEGuy' just said. I find a Merkur 34C with a sharp blade like a Feather or a Personna Lab works great. Sharp but very smooth.

Most of my razors yield a good two pass shave, not BBS but good for work. My favorites Blackland Era #4 SB and RR BBS. Think the blade is as or more important than the razor. My two best, Feather and Kai for an acceptable 2 pass shave. Most other top tier blades, for me, will give a good three pass shave.

Henson Al13 medium or the Ti medium. Both superb razors. But, seriously...two passes? C'mon, it's gonna take at least some buffing to get where you wanna go. Especially without ATG.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Which razor would you recommend for two passes ,not ATG, razor?
Also not aggressive but effective. One near to these criteria I already own is Razorock aluminum Lupo.

If your using the Lupo Aluminum already and enjoy it I would just install a extra wide Kai SS Blade in it. The Kai blade will drive it up a notch and that should be close to a 2 pass shave for your needs. They are pricier( buy a tuck or 2) but the longevity is greater than other DE blades and the performance is Sharp & smooth. If not happy with that simple test then look for a more aggressive razor is my suggestion. I use this blade in a lot of my milder razors with great results.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
An option could also be a slant razor. My first and only slant , a Razorock 37 German slant gives me a very efficient shave. I usually do the full prep (shower, pre shave, lather) and then one pass ATG with pickups ATG. It is necessary to not press with this slant, then the shave is quite smooth, slightly less smooth than with the Rockwell 6C plate 4.
A slant could be worth the try ... But YMMV of course.

I used to shave with a Merkur 37C and it's an efficient razor. As Phil suggests, it requires a light touch. If I did apply a bit of downward force, my skin would respond with a rash--if not careful, it get some razor burn (cause was operator error). I had to do a two pass shave with my first pas WTG, my second pass ATG, and followed with some pickups. As good as the Slant is, I prefer the comfort and ease of use I've found in the 34C. For me, it's just a damned comfortable and efficient razor with my blade-of-choice and mindful technique. The 34C takes a little time to get the most out of it--and once done, it delivers efficient two-pass (nick-free and rash-free) shaves.

For me the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant beats the lupo and r41 and GC .84 in gentleness and efficiency. I can use it every day and never get irritation. My review of this magnificent razor is below.

I am consolidating useful info from other threads:

I found the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant after much research. From the Australian Yaqi distributor, I found that this was the most aggressive Yaqi razor.

The head came after a few weeks, and it is perfect. Blade fits tightly, no alignment issues. I only wish certain Italian manufacturers could make their razors at this standard. I will also say that I think this is a completely novel design. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I have never seen a razor that looked remotely like this. The design necessitates a steep angle, which is my preferred way to shave anyway.

Let me preface the review by saying that I have delicate skin combined with a coarse beard that grows in all directions. This makes it exceedingly difficult to find a razor that is efficient enough for a 3 pass shave, without having to do a lot of buffing, that irritates my skin.

When I do find such a razor, it is always too aggressive, so the aggression irritates my skin as well.

The Yaqi razor is my best find ever in my wetshaving journey. This is the most innovative safety razor I have ever had the pleasure of using. The head design is completely novel. It doesn't look elegant but it certainly shaves that way. You can feel the razor removing hairs, but it doesn't particularly hurt. It holds the blade tightly, making blade placement a no brainer.

Most important is that this razor has the best balance of efficiency with non-aggression I have ever seen. It is very loud but not particularly aggressive. It is the most efficient razor I have ever used. Efficiency is just off the charts, yet I have zero irritation even with three full passes.

What I find works best:

• Use a great cream with a great preshave and the DSP method - you want a wet, cushiony lather
  • Steep angle because the cap is so small
  • Try a variety of blades - best that I have found is Nacet

I can count on one hand the number of time I have cut myself with it, in almost two years of shaving.

Just get one. For $10 you can't afford not to.
Mind the angle

For me the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant beats the lupo and r41 and GC .84 in gentleness and efficiency. I can use it every day and never get irritation. My review of this magnificent razor is below.

I am consolidating useful info from other threads:

I found the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant after much research. From the Australian Yaqi distributor, I found that this was the most aggressive Yaqi razor.

The head came after a few weeks, and it is perfect. Blade fits tightly, no alignment issues. I only wish certain Italian manufacturers could make their razors at this standard. I will also say that I think this is a completely novel design. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I have never seen a razor that looked remotely like this. The design necessitates a steep angle, which is my preferred way to shave anyway.

Let me preface the review by saying that I have delicate skin combined with a coarse beard that grows in all directions. This makes it exceedingly difficult to find a razor that is efficient enough for a 3 pass shave, without having to do a lot of buffing, that irritates my skin.

When I do find such a razor, it is always too aggressive, so the aggression irritates my skin as well.

The Yaqi razor is my best find ever in my wetshaving journey. This is the most innovative safety razor I have ever had the pleasure of using. The head design is completely novel. It doesn't look elegant but it certainly shaves that way. You can feel the razor removing hairs, but it doesn't particularly hurt. It holds the blade tightly, making blade placement a no brainer.

Most important is that this razor has the best balance of efficiency with non-aggression I have ever seen. It is very loud but not particularly aggressive. It is the most efficient razor I have ever used. Efficiency is just off the charts, yet I have zero irritation even with three full passes.

What I find works best:

• Use a great cream with a great preshave and the DSP method - you want a wet, cushiony lather
  • Steep angle because the cap is so small
  • Try a variety of blades - best that I have found is Nacet

I can count on one hand the number of time I have cut myself with it, in almost two years of shaving.

Just get one. For $10 you can't afford not to.
0D4420FA-F210-44D2-806E-7649ECEDCB29.jpeg

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Razorock 37 German slant

I’ve been using one of these lately and it impresses the heck out of me. One pass WTG is “close enough” and one pass ATG (always with pickups…) is much closer and lasts a long time.

Have used more expensive and even more “aggressive” razors that reinforced that time honored (or is it “Tom Arnold?” digressing…) belief I have sensitive skin and tough whiskers. Even completely abandoned all prep before shaving and felt like a had regular skin and tough whiskers.

With a shower before shaving and the RazoRock German 37 holding the blade, I have the illusion that I have regular skin and regular whiskers and just sometimes make bad choices.

I understand that there have been QC issues with initial versions of this, to which I attribute some users negative experiences. For my part, although it feels "prickly", I find I don't really cut myself at all with this. My skin is like glass after a three pass shave.
If one uses the Agamemnon at the right angle it's a sweet and brilliant razor.
First shave I used it at the wrong angle and I cut myself real bad.
Second shave I used an almost vertical angle: excellent.

Top Bottom