What's new

Two passes, two razors

For years I used a (1950s?) fat-handled Gillette Tech with a Platinum Lord blade, which I found the best combination for sensitive skin, but it usually left me with some redness on my chin. On holidays I would sometimes use a disposable razor and found it very comfortable, but back home I stayed with the Tech because of the purist streak in me. A few months ago, however, I decided to stop ignoring reality so I bought a Gillette Contour - two blades with a swivel. It's very good - no redness and a good shave. But I only shave a couple of times a week and I found that after two days I was getting skin prickle. So I tried two passes - Contour for the first and Tech for the second, and this seems to work: no chin redness and no prickle. Does anyone else combine razors in the same shave?

Only when testing/comparing razors or blades.
But you do what works best for you. That is all that matters.
If you feel you need to do 4 passes all with different razors then more power to ya. The only thing that matters is your face.
But I'm sure I've read of a few people using more than one razor for a standard shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For a two pass shave and have a comfortable best feel after a shave there are few out there I really enjoy.
The Razorock SLOC is a great upper mild range > tame mid range and will give a decent DFS ++ range shave + comes with a stainless steel handle & affordable at $20 US. I have bought 4 of them and gifted a couple to a friend and my son who where cartridge razor users prior. There is some slight blade tab overhang similar to my Gillette razors.
Razorock SLOC Razor 2017 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Indeed I occasionally do. Favorite pairing is a FOCS 1st pass followed by a Gillette NEW LC for the 2nd. Problem is my daily shave is more than just a shave, and when I do the combined thing the result is so close I got nothing to remove the next day.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Many of us use two razors in a single shave.

There is nothing wrong with using a different razor for each pass if that is what works best for you. I do a four-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG, and clean-up) and typically use a different razor for each pass (4 razors per shave). Occasionally, I will use a single razor for the entire shave when evaluating a new razor or new blade, but my normal shave uses four razors, each equipped with a different blade optimized for the specific pass.

Hi,

I have done in the past. No longer. Just the Fasan Double Slant in one ATG pass. One and Done as it were.

Sometimes, the one ATG pass is with my Grandfather's Old Type Thin. Good for a couple extra hours before the Shadow shows up. At the expense of some irritation for an hour after shaving.

Usually, the OT is for sideburn trimming. Here they are on the counter where they live. The third razor is my wife's Lady Gillette. And, way over to the right, is my Dad's post war Tech. That gets used a few times a year. Still the same one ATG pass. But it's not nearly as good as the Fasan.

At the risk of turning this in the the Heirloom User's Club Part II thread.... Here is the full set of my heirlooms.

Grandpa's OT
Dad's pre war Tech
Dad's SuperSpeed
Dad's post war Tech
Two mugs of Old Spice soap from Dad
Dad's old Rubberset brush.

At the least, on Dad's birthday I use his soap and brush and post war Tech. On Christmas day, I use his soap and brush and SuperSpeed. I'm probably the only one here on B&B that knows the date of a SuperSpeed. Mom gave him that and the brush for Christmas in 1948.

I still do the one pass ATG regardless. ;)

Stan

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If I haven’t shaved for 3-4 days my first pass is with a RazoRock Wunderbar. It glides through thick stubble like it’s not even there.

Top Bottom