What's new

Two new razor handles.

Here are my two latest razor handles off the lathe. Made for @never-stop-learning from blanks cast by @Rudy Vey. They turned out quite nicely and with the included adapter screws I made they fit a wide variety of razor heads.

20200807_114810_HDR~3.jpg
20200807_114619_HDR~2.jpg
20200807_114433_HDR~2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here are my two latest razor handles off the lathe. Made for @never-stop-learning from blanks cast by @Rudy Vey. They turned out quite nicely and with the included adapter screws I made they fit a wide variety of razor heads.

View attachment 1139351View attachment 1139352View attachment 1139353
They will fit the brushes I had made for him just perfect.
Thank you both for making these beautiful handles possible. They are sooooo gorgeous, have excellent grip and are very comfortable in the hand.

Rudy - Not only does the Emerald Green match the AS3M, it also matches the green in the Group Buy brush:
20200812_154850~2.jpg

I'll be using the Butterscotch handle on Friday with the Butterscotch Beehive brush. :cool:

And thanks to @Cal - the great pictures of his matching brush and razor handles inspired me the to pursue this idea. :)

The shape looks like they would be comfortable to hold and you did a great job finishing them. There’s not a hint of a scratch to be found and a perfect “shine line” from end to end. Very nicely done!

The shape looks like they would be comfortable to hold and you did a great job finishing them. There’s not a hint of a scratch to be found and a perfect “shine line” from end to end. Very nicely done!

Thank you. It wasn't easy. I think it's time for me to get some new Carbide tips. I ended up using my standard tools mostly but had a hard time keeping them sharp enough to not get chattering and chipping. I've been watching plenty of videos trying to figure out if there is something I need to improve in my turning technique.

One thing many videos fail to address is how high or low to set the tool rest. I'm not sure if my position of cutting edge on the blank is to high or low. I've tried adjusting this but haven't come to a conclusion yet.

The only time I use carbide is with resin, and I spin it as fast as my lathe will turn after it’s roughed to a cylinder (for small pieces of course, not bowls). IME resin likes to be scraped, and just about all carbide tools are scrapers and not cutting tools. I set the rest slightly above center, with the tool angled slightly down so it’s cutting on the centerline in effectively a negative rake position.

A general rule for scraping with carbide or traditional tools is you always want the angle where the tool meets the blank to never be greater than 90 degrees. On the outside you want to be at the centerline or just slightly below when scraping in the traditional manner with the tool flat, but when hollowing/scraping the inside you want to be just slightly above centerline. Negative rake scrapers are far more forgiving because the downward bevel decreases the angle where the tool and blank meet. I see no reason to buy a negative rake scraper when tilting the tool slightly downward basically does the same thing. Hope this little bit of info helps, and keep up the great work!

The only time I use carbide is with resin, and I spin it as fast as my lathe will turn after it’s roughed to a cylinder (for small pieces of course, not bowls). IME resin likes to be scraped, and just about all carbide tools are scrapers and not cutting tools. I set the rest slightly above center, with the tool angled slightly down so it’s cutting on the centerline in effectively a negative rake position.

A general rule for scraping with carbide or traditional tools is you always want the angle where the tool meets the blank to never be greater than 90 degrees. On the outside you want to be at the centerline or just slightly below when scraping in the traditional manner with the tool flat, but when hollowing/scraping the inside you want to be just slightly above centerline. Negative rake scrapers are far more forgiving because the downward bevel decreases the angle where the tool and blank meet. I see no reason to buy a negative rake scraper when tilting the tool slightly downward basically does the same thing. Hope this little bit of info helps, and keep up the great work!

Thank you. I remember you giving me advice on this stuff a while ago. Unfortunately that thread got deleted. I will bookmark this so I can re-read it and be sure I'm understanding it all. I'm very much a hands on and visual learner so I usually go over written instructions several times.

Top Bottom