What's new

Two New DG Scents

Dirtyver is a scent handed down from above. :angel:
Dirtyver appears to be no longer available at the DG website. I too really like this scent and am pleased to have it on hand. I was surprised at how much I actually like it. As for the other new Icarus based soaps, well at least DG is including scent notes this time around--a step in the right direction.

DG may have the best soap base with Icarus, but I won't ever buy a soap that has EDTA in it. Just too many alternatives before I would consider doing so. Not the least of which is DG's own original bison tallow base that doesn't have EDTA in it and performs beautifully for me. THat said...YMMV.

Talk to me about EDTA Mr. Steffenapelz-- I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. I googled it and if I have the right compound it appears that soda makers put it into soda. The purpose in this instance seemed to be as a way to combat hard water for the soap. Why do you avoid soaps with EDTA?

Tetrasodium ETDA.

Disgusting ingredient. It’s formaldehyde, a known carcinogen according to the National Cancer Institute.

It’s also a penetration enhancer known to break down the skin barrier and head right for your blood stream.

Why a soap maker would go near it in this day and age is beyond me. Other better alternatives available.

Talk to me about EDTA Mr. Steffenapelz-- I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. I googled it and if I have the right compound it appears that soda makers put it into soda. The purpose in this instance seemed to be as a way to combat hard water for the soap. Why do you avoid soaps with EDTA?

I second what vtmax said...not an ingredient I am willing to put on my skin with any beauty/hygiene product. I also drink ZERO soda and have for the better part of 20 years (since college), so I haven't ingested that stuff in about as long as that...

Just so we are clear... am not arguing that EDTA will kill you quickly, or even kill you at all. If I was occasionally exposed to it, that is fine...but I wouldn't put it on my body or in my body just like I avoid other components like parabens etc....I am probably too picky on that, but it is how I lead my life.

Good Lord, this is being blown totally out of proportion just as was the paraben BS of 2004 and its purported link to breast cancer while the original researcher even said there was no clear link. :001_rolle

Good Lord, this is being blown totally out of proportion just as was the paraben BS of 2004 and its purported link to breast cancer while the original researcher even said there was no clear link. :001_rolle
Good news for you, though. More Icarus base soaps you don't have to compete with me and vtmax for ;).

I'll just keep buying the old bison tallow base, which is perfectly adequate in my book.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am not going to argue if EDTA is good or bad, or should be there or shouldn't be in soaps. I do, however, find it ironic that many people in the "wellness" crowd promote chelation (binding of metals) as a way to cleanse the body of toxic heavy metals. What is the chelator of choice? EDTA!! And it is given intravenously at a much higher dose than anything absorbed through the skin.

I guess what I am saying is that I wish there was a rational answer to a simple question like: Is EDTA dangerous?

Has someone tried the new DG? I'm eager to know about the scents,
especially from Chaipre.

Based in what I've readed the only concerns with EDTA are that "there have been some case reports of sensitive individuals developing eczema"(cited), also despite it isn't well absorbed in the skin, it can work as a penetration enhancer, so you have to be careful with the others ingredients in the formulation.

As a fan of TABAC, that contains this ingredient, tetrasodium EDTA it's fine for me. Also the new Barrister and Mann Excelsior base, that I love.

Last edited:
EDTA is way down on the what's going to take me out list. Now that F-250 speeding thru the parking lot
is something I worry about.

Top Bottom