What's new

Two New AC Razors

Recently I have acquired the Enoch from Classic Shaving and the Hawk V3 from RazoRock. Both of these are all stainless steel razors, and both are significantly less expensive than any of their stainless AC razor competitors. (As much as I would like to buy a Blackland Vector, I just can't see paying nearly three times as much for one as for one of these razors. Of course, I've already bought two of these and I'm now looking at buying another base plate for the Hawk, so those of you who just plunk down the big bucks for the Vector may really have the right idea!).

I've had the Enoch for at least a couple of months now, and except for the tricky blade loading, it is an exceptional razor. With either a Feather Pro or Schick Proline I can get a two pass BBS shave with no danger of cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. And I can use it daily. I only open the razor to change blades, so living with the inconvenience of a "fiddly" blade loading system is a minor issue for me. If you remove the blade after each shave, then you'll either master the art of loading blades in this razor or stop using it. The balance of the razor is excellent and the unusual looking handle (Cobra inspired?) is very comfortable and secure. It is truly a pleasure to use.

The Hawk V3 is newer, and I've only been using it for a week or so. I received mine with the bulldog handle, but I have found it to be too heavy for me. Handle weight in any razor, however, is a very personal thing so you might find it ideal. I have a stainless steel RazoRock halo handle from my Game Changer, and that seems to me to be an excellent pairing. As with the Enoch, the head is slim and the razor is very maneuverable. Unlike the Enoch, blade loading is simple and easy.

Side by Side Shave Comparison
This morning I decided to do a shave using one razor for each side. I've done this type of comparison before, and I've even done it on consecutive days to make sure that there is no underlying difference from side to side. For example, being right handed do I shave the right side with more or less pressure than the left? I've satisfied myself that there is no bias resulting from the side on which the razor is tested. Both razors had Proline blades with 3 shaves on them, and of course the prep was the same. I shave daily so there was one day's growth. During the shave there was little to distinguish one from the other. As I stated earlier, both of these razors are a pleasure to use and easily glide around the face, even the less accessible spots. Maybe the Enoch has a tiny bit more blade feel, but the difference is very slight. My expectation was that there would be little difference in the results, but that was not the case. The Enoch clearly provided the closer shave. I have tried the Feather Pro Super blades in each of these razors, and I found them to be too uncomfortable to use in the Enoch, and not entirely pleasant in the Hawk. That said, pairing the Hawk with the Pro Super did yield a closer shave and it did not leave me with any irritation, so tomorrow I will do the side by side with the Enoch/Proline vs. the Hawk/Pro Super.

I will probably buy the aggressive "A" base plate from Italian Barber when they become available. At $30 for the base plate only, I'm considering just buying another entire razor for $60, except that the only handle choice for the A version of the Hawk is the super knurl, which I believe is even heavier than the bulldog. For those who want a "medium aggressive" AC razor (which is how the Italian Barber website describes the standard Hawk V3), the Hawk is a great choice. If you want something a bit more aggressive, you can't go wrong with the Enoch, save the blade loading issue. Or maybe the answer for the more aggressive AC razor is really the A plate Hawk; I'll let you know if and when I get hold of one.

Top Bottom