What's new

Two More Down

O-ring. . .inside diameter (ID): 1" and width: 1/16".

I picked them up at a body piercing shop. They tend to have a wide variety of colors.

I was just given this same brush. It was my grandfather-in-law. I plan to put a synthetic knot in there. Anyone know where to find a synthetic knot. This will be my first one to try to restore.

This brush I call, “My Protagonist”. . . .a Rubberset 400-3 in aluminum.

Picked this brush up almost a year ago and knew this was going to be labor intensive. I would work on it, get frustrated or sidetracked or come up with different finish ideas, and end up putting it away. Several months would go by and the cycle would repeat.

The arrival shots. . . .oxidation from Hell.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Post hair removal. . . .

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I’ve worked with aluminum before. Being that it’s such a soft metal, it can be a chore to clean up and make it look right. What didn’t help matters. . . .it’s cast aluminum. Mentally, I could imagine the imperfections.

The first task. . .try to remove the years and years of oxidation. I didn’t want to chemically treat it, so elected to do the labor intensive method. . .sanding, which turned out well, until I began polishing and buffing. And the imperfections popped out.

proxy.php

Immediate frustration ensued and it went into the “Awaiting Action” box.

Several months (like six) rolled by and I get the itch to tackle the handle again. I wouldn’t relinquish my “no chemical” to treat the oxidation, so back to the tried and previously failed method. . .sanding. As I complete the sanding of the upper portion of the handle, I got the idea of a satin finish. What a cool look. But the lower portion of the handle, with it’s curves, dips, etc. . . .would require considerable work. Back into the “Awaiting Action” box.

Three months roll by and the itch returned. The upper immediately went to the buffer and the polished finish turned out great, but several problems. One, anytime you polish aluminum, it leaves black residue. Again, since it’s cast aluminum, said residue finds its way into pits, scratches (even the minute scratches you can’t see), etc. They all stand out like a sore thumb.

At this point, I’m wishing I had a tumbler.

Yep. . . .back into the “Awaiting Action” box.

A week or so ago, I became tired of this little project being a thorn in my side. The handle finds light again. First, I need to tackle the oxidation. I’ll not succumb to no stinkin’ chemicals. lol WD-40 and a brass brush. Miracles never cease to. . .well, WD-40 and a brass brush are fairly close to a miracle.

Back to sanding. . . .heavy, course sanding. Holy mother of aluminum. . .the results are fantastic. I decided to avoid the buffer and polished / buffed by hand.

Knot at the ready. . . .

proxy.php

Knot set. . . .

proxy.php

Initial bloom. . .

proxy.php

Not a small brush. . . .

Overall height = 129.1mm
Handle height = 80mm
Loft height = 49.1mm
Knot size [hair diameter at base] = 25.1mm
Knot type: 24mm, 2-band, finest, bulb
Grip ring [narrow part of handle] = 21mm
Base of handle = 22m
Weight: 2.4 oz or 69 gr

I was just given this same brush. It was my grandfather-in-law. I plan to put a synthetic knot in there. Anyone know where to find a synthetic knot. This will be my first one to try to restore.

I too did a rubberset aluminum restore. I went black badger to offset the bright aluminum.

TGN has synthetic knots.

i've made one of theses myself 3 years ago but i'm far from your result ,congratulations ,you push the level up with this restore .
*(i even discover today that it unscrew ,never see that,thanks a lot)

Absolute eye candy! You have to love it when a new plan actually works beyond your expectations. Congratulations on taking your time and "finding" the best solution. Great restores!

Ronnie

Great work. I have an aluminum ER in the "awaiting repair box" too. Was it hard to separate the upper and lower knot? Also, did you order a 24 or 26 mm knot? Again it looks fabulous.

Hi there Comet - I straw sprayed the handle/collar joint with WD40 and after 30 mins they unscrewed easily - on another occasion I steamed them to see if the epoxy on the original knot would denature or soften and after 30 mins the joint was actually loose! (had been solid before). I've installed 26mm knots in mine but it has been a tight squeeze I can assure you - I've taken about half a mm off the knot diameter in order to get it to feed backwards into the top of the collar for fitting - I know some of the guys here have installed the knot by passing it through and up the inside of the collar. Here's the sort of Dremmeling I've done in order to get the knot to fit. Ratty$IMG_7543.jpg

Top Bottom