What's new

Two kinds of people: those who equate heaviness with quality, and...

Those who equate heaviness with poor design.

I am firmly in the former camp, for the most part. I love solid body Les Pauls and heavy solid stainless safety razors. To me, heaviness indicates sturdiness/reliability.

On the other side of the fence, there are those who write reviews for smart phones and complain about arm fatigue from having to heft a few extra ounces... but I'm not condemning those guys (much).

Where do you all stand?

Heaviness=quality in my book, except for in those few cases where it specifically doesn't. Those cases seem to be few and far between, namely watches and straight razors in my opinion.

Heaviness=quality in my book, except for in those few cases where it specifically doesn't. Those cases seem to be few and far between, namely watches and straight razors in my opinion.

Agreed on straight razors, but then again can you imagine an old W&B wedge without its signature heft?

Agreed on straight razors, but then again can you imagine an old W&B wedge without its signature heft?
Not saying an old wade isn't quality, I love those and I would hate to see them lose that characteristic. I'm also saying Im not one to turn my nose up at a fili!

I don't have a real opinion on weight as quality aspect. When it has an impact on performance then I get interested.
I am more interested in the conscious design decisions made in crafting a product. But that probably reflects me and my career as a software designer; always interested in the new but only to the extent that it materially improves the product that I produce.

Lack of heft can be the mark of quality and good engineering. I'd be a bit miffed if some silnylon, cuben fiber, carbon nano tube, uberlight backpacking thingy was several pounds for instance. Otherwise, beefy things usually mean quality and capability.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I can think of a few occasions when I have considered an item to be of better quality due to increased weight. There comes a point when it goes too far and there are of course both light and heavy weight examples of both high quality and poor quality items. It does seem as if watches, brushes, and even men themselves have increased in both size and weight in recent years. Maybe it is something to do with insecurity, perceived loss of masculinity, or ways of expressing masculinity, for some men these days, especially young men. Or maybe I am overthinking it 🤣

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
If heaviness equals quality I must be at the top of the heap!

You might not be comprehending the gravity of the situation.

Heavy for cooking pans
Light for kitchen knives
Light for camping gear
Forged for tools vs stamped folded metal

I can probably go on and on. I guess weight needs to be a design consideration related to function, durability, tactile feel, etc.

I think I understand where the OP is coming from. Sometimes you buy a consumer good and you can just feel the flimsiness of the thing and know it is engineered to break soon.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Don't get me talking about guitarists and guitars. I love Ibanez. I REALLY want a vintage Japanse Ibanez Artist. They're LP killers.

I love the looks of the Ibanez Jiva 10

a_main_NitaStrauss.jpg

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Those who equate heaviness with poor design.

I am firmly in the former camp, for the most part. I love solid body Les Pauls and heavy solid stainless safety razors. To me, heaviness indicates sturdiness/reliability.

On the other side of the fence, there are those who write reviews for smart phones and complain about arm fatigue from having to heft a few extra ounces... but I'm not condemning those guys (much).

Where do you all stand?

I’m with you ... and with all-steel Hi-Powers, HK P7s, Colt 1911s & weighty, century-old Hardy fly reels affixed to bamboo fly rods.

Last edited:
Generally, I equate heaviness with quality, BUT, my goto razor right now is an M series Shick injector and it took a few minutes to get used to the light weight. Love the shave from it, though. I remember in the early days of HiFi when I worked part time for Lafayette Radio in Livonia, MI (mostly to satisfy my HiFi hobby), one of the cheap speaker manufacturers came out with speakers mounted in real wood boxes that we sold for $99 (BOGO). They sounded like crap but we sold a tone of them. One of them had something loose in the cabinet so we opened it up to find out what it was. The manufacturer epoxied a damned brick inside each cabinet to add weight!

I like light Telecasters , heavy cast iron pans and wish I was 10 kg lighter myself (but my cooking skills and those heavy cast iron pans won't let me although I try hard to burn these calories by playing my lightweight teles).

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I would rather be the correct weight.

My light weight frying pan by weight watchers is darn good. And food won’t stick in it.

Top Bottom