What's new

Two Hands vs One Hand X Strokes

Is there any reason I should use one hand for x strokes. I've watched all sorts of video demonstrations from fast to slow, but my concern is not have the blade flat on the surface and doing damage to the edge. If I go slow and use the second hand to stablize I figure I can reduce the risk of damage.

Well, this is a YMMV issue, as many people do use two hands. Those of us that use one hand while doing X strokes think you can feel the razor's feedback better as you progress through your stones. Two hand honing runs the risk of using added pressure while attempting to hold the razor flat on the stone. That added pressure can, but does not always cause more or uneven hone wear. I hope this answers your question. There are many ways to skin a cat, but doing what works best for you and your skill level is what is most important. Many people start with two hands and then work into using one hand or they just keep doing it with two hands because it gives them the results they want.

As long as you are not damaging the razor while honing two handed, go for it! The other option is to take your time and learn "the right way" and start out with one hand. No matter what you do, enjoy the hobby and do what works best for you regardless of what everyone else says.

I use 2 hands always. I feel FOR ME it's more control. Others use one hand. I don't think it matters really. It's just what you can get used to.

My honing took a leap forward when I followed the advice of experienced honemeisters and switched from two handed bench honing to one handed and hand held.

The difference? Now I can torque the edge more precisely and control a rolling X stroke. Before I was having to take a lot more metal from the blade to get it even.

It's also a lot more fun.

The difference? Now I can torque the edge more precisely and control a rolling X stroke. Before I was having to take a lot more metal from the blade to get it even.

I agree with this^. In my case, I grip the shank more from side to side, with a slight turn of the wrist, sort of as I do in stropping. This helps me with torquing or adding localized pressure.

With a rolling stroke or a narrow stone, there is no need for the blade to be perfectly flat. In starting out, I used two hands on the bench, like many folks do. Nothing wrong with that. Then a friend with a lot of razor restoration experience showed me his method, which involved a one-handed approach on the bench for the most part. I followed that for a little while, but I did not like that my off-hand was usually standing idle. So I switched to hand-holding the stone and never turned back. Hand-holding also meant that I could get by with smaller stones than the larger ones intended for bench use.

With a rolling stroke or a narrow stone, there is no need for the blade to be perfectly flat. In starting out, I used two hands on the bench, like many folks do. Nothing wrong with that. Then a friend with a lot of razor restoration experience showed me his method, which involved a one-handed approach for the most part. I followed that for a little while, but I did not like that my off-hand was usually standing idle. So I switched to hand-holding the stone and never turned back. Hand-holding meant that I could get by with smaller stones than the larger ones intended for bench use.
Yes. I’m holding the stone. This little move that clicked was at the turn where the blade is lifted, but the spline stays in contact and is moved backwards just a hair and the blade laid back down. The anchoring of the spline helps my control.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Yes. I’m holding the stone. This little move that clicked was at the turn where the blade is lifted, but the spline stays in contact and is moved backwards just a hair and the blade laid back down. The anchoring of the spline helps my control.

That's the muscle-memory that you want to develop.

I do both one handed and two handed. Two hands does not necessarily equate to greater pressure. Sometimes I want extra stability, sometimes a little more pressure focused on a specific area. I like to change it up.

I do both one handed and two handed. Two hands does not necessarily equate to greater pressure. Sometimes I want extra stability, sometimes a little more pressure focused on a specific area. I like to change it up.
Okay, I understand. Good to know there is not one correct way. No pressure I understand from using films. Thank you.

Top Bottom