What's new

Two goofs and a Rolls-franken-Razor.

Goof #1. I got a razor I rather like (Razorock Eco) with a handle I don't (UFO). So I was looking for a longer, preferably heavier handle. Ordered a Masamune Nodachi handle. And it didn't fit. (The screw thread in the handle is recessed, and the screw thread on the head is too short to engage.)

Before all the craziness I'd seen a gadget in an antiques junk market. Went back a week or so later and ended up the proud, but confused, owner of a Rolls Razor. Lockdown happens, finally get around to-it and clean it up, dubbin the strop, scrub the hone, clean the tracks, the whole lot. Give it a go. Passable, but nothing special, needs sharpening. Go on the hone a fair bit. Still nope. Fast forward a couple of months, see a NOS blade for sale. Shiny! Get that and try it. Completely different. Very good, and can actually see myself using this regularly. So need to work on sharpening, and would like some spare parts, too.

Goof #2. See a listing online for a pair of Rolls Razors. Get it. One of them is kinda, sorta, could be usable after some TLC. The other one? Well, the strop's been ploughed. The hone is in at least three pieces, of which I have at most two. The handle is stuck, and looks to have had attempts to unscrew with pliers, which have just gouged the knurling. The blade is missing a large divot on the cutting edge, and by the fixing hole. Case is shiny, though!
So, that handle. Left it in some light oil for about a week, then put it in the wood-jawed vise. Gripped though a cloth with pliers. Wouldn't shift. Ok, in the big vise, big pliers. Try again. Work up a sweat, but still don't budge it. Try really hard, think I've bent the handle, and am on the way to a hernia. No movement. Ok, I'll try putting a bar through the hook and tapping it to free it. Oh. It's one of the sprung loaded handles. And solid brass rods are meant to be tricky to unscrew.

Wait a couple of weeks. Have an idea. Cut the Rolls Razor handle to about 3/4" (Dremel), clamp it in a split collar. Put that in the lathe and turn the handle down to about 5mm. (Flip and do the rest of it.) Get a M5 screw-cutting die, put a thread on the remains of the handle. (Careful unscrewing the die, the hook at the end unscrews to yield a spring-propelled ball bearing, for garage-floor hide'n'seek fun!) Add one Masamune Nodachi handle...
I really like this combination. Seems to shave the same as a normal Rolls handle, but I like the extra length - nice for holding, and looks good, too!

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

Top Bottom