What's new

Two-fisted shaving

Ok, not literally. :lol: Is it common practice to use multiple razors in the course of a single shave? I started out this idea using a mild razor/WTG pass, mild razor/ATG pass, then an aggressive razor/ATG pass. I started with a Pre-War Tech/Mühle R41 combination. It worked terrifically for about a month, then I got this idea that the only reason it was working so well was that my technique was getting better. So I started using just the R41, and my shaves went downhill fast. The first one was OK, but the second day, my face felt raw. Each day, it kept feeling like the previous day's damage didn't have enough time to heal. In the interum, I got a Weber PH. (I don't have enough great things to say about that razor, but that's another thread.) so the last three days, I went PH/R41, and it's gotten better each day.

Is this a common technique? As well as it's worked for me, I was very surprised that I haven't seen more people recommending it, especially for people with very thick, tough beards. I don't keep my blades in the razors (I have small kids) and I don't really like switching the blade mid-shave. I suppose I could open two blades, load them both up at the beginning of the shave, and switch razors, but that's going to mess up my blade rotation. Using an adjustable would be another approach, but my Fatboy doesn't dial up enough, and I've never tried a Merkur adjustable. (And I'm on sabbatical, so I won't be using one until 2105.)

I've never used two two razors from one shave, apart from once when I realised the blade in one had got very dull and so switched to another that already had a newish blade loaded. However, I do change the settings on my Slim between passes, which has much the same results, I'd imagine. Generally 6 for wtg, 4 for xtg and back to 5 or so for atg, but this can vary, and often does.

If I am testing out a new razor or blade sometimes I will keep my go to combination ready just in case the test subject does not work out so well and I have to switch back mid shave.

Often I do my first pass(es) with a shavette, then switch to DE for the final pass(es).

Also I shave two-fisted, razor in right hand and brush in left. After each razor swipe, immediately I relather the bared skin.

I never do it. But that's just me… I know a lot of people do and love it. I guess my view is if I can't get a good shave from a razor and have to switch to a second one to finish, why am I even using the first one in the first place? I'd rather know I can depend on a single razor for a while shave.

If I have several days growth I sometimes use two razors. An OC to mow and a safety bar after that. My gray beard is so brutal on a blade that taking off a 5 day growth destroys a blade in one pass anyway.

I can't tell if this is serious or sarcasm. If you're serious, does that mean you effectively do like 2-3 passes in one pass?

It's serious, but I don't know where you're getting the 2-3 passes in one pass thing. I'm just saying I leave no skin bare; as soon as the razor clears the lather, I apply new lather. It's good for the skin, and may help mitigate any damage from the razor before I get to the alum/WH/ASB.

That said, there can be a bit of anarchy in my order of operations. I don't necessarily finish a whole-face pass at once before going for a second swipe at any given spot. I did that before I started my habit of leaving no skin bare though, just depending on leftover lather film. I get the feeling that that is pretty common, and it's obviously what happens with blade buffing too.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Is it common practice to use multiple razors in the course of a single shave?

I do it all the time, and for some reason I take a lot of heat for it.

I think different razors perform specific tasks with varying degrees of success, so why not choose what you find works best for each task? For example, I don't think injectors provide the nth degree of closeness, but they're the very best for smoothly mowing down the whiskers on the first pass. So I routinely use an L type Schick injector with a Pella blade for my first pass. DE's get me closer to BBS, so I think they're better for the later passes. And I enjoy finishing with a straight to be much more enjoyable than starting with one, so I do that as well. I will often use all three types of razors in a single shave, and why not? I have them.

You're the world's leading authority on your own opinion, so you should be able to choose your own routine without explanation or apology.

It's serious, but I don't know where you're getting the 2-3 passes in one pass thing. I'm just saying I leave no skin bare; as soon as the razor clears the lather, I apply new lather. It's good for the skin, and may help mitigate any damage from the razor before I get to the alum/WH/ASB.

That said, there can be a bit of anarchy in my order of operations. I don't necessarily finish a whole-face pass at once before going for a second swipe at any given spot. I did that before I started my habit of leaving no skin bare though, just depending on leftover lather film. I get the feeling that that is pretty common, and it's obviously what happens with blade buffing too.

Okay, I thought you meant you say shave your upper right cheek, relather immediately and reshave and relather etc. an unspecified number of times. As to what you actually do, just relather where you just shaved to protect the skin, I might try that. I notice that my skin gets irritated sometimes and I was fairly sure it was from cream/soap sitting on my skin for TOO long but maybe it needs the protection for more time?

@Ouch, That's really interesting. The idea of using completely different types of razors never crossed my mind...

I like to finish off by buffing with a Schick I2 Hydro magic. I can buff with my GEM Junior, but it's effortless with the I2. I'll be getting a CJB shavette soon so that'll definitely find me finishing up with another razor for my ATG, XTG passes until I get my technique down.

Only when I am testing something will I use more than one razor.
That is, I will often use one razor for the left and another razor for the right side. Sometimes I use identical blades and different razors (e.g. a Joris and a Cadet OC, both loaded with Personna Med Preps) or identical razors loaded with different blades (right now I'm testing a Personna Israeli Red vs. a Polsilver SI).

I have never tried using a different razor for each pass, as ouch suggested, but I may give it a try. Why not?

Never tried that but, interesting concept. I have adjusted the fat boy during the shave as someone else said. Went a little closer after the WTG pass.

I do it sometimes, but not for any benefits it may provide. I have a lot of razors, and to make sure I use them all, I have a schedule I follow. I can shave twice a day, or use two razors in one shave. I find myself doing the latter more aften lately. My skin feels a little better (it never really felt bad, but there is a difference), and since I'm only shaving once, there's more time between shaves, which means more to shave off. I also use less product. Also, I'm getting lazier. The first shave of the day is a delight, and a great way to start the day; the second one is more often a chore, because I don't really need it, and it interrupts my reading, or whatever I'm doing.

Again this morning, I started off with an aggressive razor I'm trying out. Less aggressive than the R41, but way more aggressive than anything else I've tried. Same problem. It was uncomfortable. I backed off and went to the Weber PH, finished up the 1st and 2nd passes, went back with the aggressive razor, and no irritation.

It makes sense from the standpoint that every pass, you're doing something different to your face. If that wasn't the case, then you'd always just start off the an ATG pass and be done with it. However, shaving like that doesn't work. So I think I'm going to dial in on this system and try to find the 2-razor combination that works best. So far the Weber PH seems to be a dynamite starter. Also, I've had really good success with the Merkur 37c slant as a starter. In fact, that was probably my best shave yet. But I really, really dislike the short handle of the 37c. It gave me terrible cramps. I can't buy a 39c until 2015, so I think I'll continue to play with the Weber PH and probably one of the R41s.

Top Bottom