What's new

Two completely different GEM Micromatic Open Comb base plate model

G'day B&B,

Thanks to @HouseOfChains for raising the question which I didn't noticed something very strange about the GEM Micromatic Open Comb if you can see two round bumps on each end of the base plate, I've also notices on the Bullet Tip as well and they've got two round bumps on each end shown. My question is why the gold GEM Micromatic Open Comb doesn't have to two bumps shown on each end, because I began to understand the GEM blade will be completely flat on the base plate. Has anybody can tell the differences between shaving performance on each GEM razor, or do they both shave exactly the same regardless of the two bumps as shown below.

proxy.php

Last edited:
My understanding is the bumps were added to raise the blade—earlier blade spines were thicker. I have both types and haven’t noticed a difference, but I haven’t been focused on a comparison.

The bump-less baseplate model was the first MMOC model released. At a later point, GEM introduced a double-edged blade that could be reversed, effectively doubling the life of the blade. Without a spine, this blade would lie flat in the original MMOC and the blade angle would be adversely effected. The bumps were added to ensure that a spine-less blade would be raised at the back at the same angle as a spined blade. At least that's the consensus thinking, there's no definitive documentation to support this but it makes perfect sense. The gimmick double edged SE blade didn't last, but the bumps did. Which is good, because modern SE blades have thinner spines than the original ones, so the bumps still perform a needed function.

The bump-less baseplate model was the first MMOC model released. At a later point, GEM introduced a double-edged blade that could be reversed, effectively doubling the life of the blade. Without a spine, this blade would lie flat in the original MMOC and the blade angle would be adversely effected. The bumps were added to ensure that a spine-less blade would be raised at the back at the same angle as a spined blade. At least that's the consensus thinking, there's no definitive documentation to support this but it makes perfect sense. The gimmick double edged SE blade didn't last, but the bumps did. Which is good, because modern SE blades have thinner spines than the original ones, so the bumps still perform a needed function.

^^^^^^^ What he said! ^^^^^^^

The one without the bumps is the earlier model.and at the time they had double edge blades for the MicroMatics. The single bump in the center was used to hold the blade in place
Oops missed the previous post.

I've had the opposite experience. I have a gold bumpless and a silver with the bumps.
The silver is noticeably more forgiving to me. I get bbs from both but the silver does it without me having to concentrate.

GEM made two blade types and the bumps were in place after the double edge were discontinued. Any difference is purely YMMV.
GEM Blades.jpg

Any idea what year these blades were introduced - it would help to figure out what year an MMOC is when you're looking at one in the wild.

Any idea what year these blades were introduced - it would help to figure out what year an MMOC is when you're looking at one in the wild.
Here is a photo of one on mine with bumps. It has a National Recovery Administation (NRA) stamp on the box. The NRA only existed from around 1933-1934.
IMG_3179.JPG

Found it - double edged blades were introduced in 1932, therefore bumps in '32.
Yes, however it seems likely the gold bumpless version continued to be sold and perhaps manufactured beyond 1931 given the number of examples found. If production were limited to 1931 I would think they would be harder to find than they are

I just spent a week alternating between my Gold version without the nubs and the silver with the nubs to compare and the gold one I have is definitely more aggressive. It feels like a shark is gnawing at my face the entire shave... the silver one is effortless and smooth, nothing but a pleasure.

If the bumps aren't affecting the shave, what is? The comb looks the same to me and I've owned both razors for ten years. They have no hardware issues.

I just spent a week alternating between my Gold version without the nubs and the silver with the nubs to compare and the gold one I have is definitely more aggressive. It feels like a shark is gnawing at my face the entire shave... the silver one is effortless and smooth, nothing but a pleasure.

If the bumps aren't affecting the shave, what is? The comb looks the same to me and I've owned both razors for ten years. They have no hardware issues.
Try using a shim with the gold one and see if that smooths it out. If it does it will confirm your thesis, or at least lend it considerable weight. But I have to say I have had no shark like experience with my bumpless MMOC with or without a shim.

The modern Gem SE blade has a spine that is much thinner than the blades of the early 30s. Even the blades of the 50s had thicker spines than the blades do today. That means that the bumps help keep the modern blade at the proper pitch, while the bump-less blade bed means that the blade is resting at an angle that's closer to flat thanks to the thinner spine.

Pics here for illustration. The two blades without notches will fit the pre and post Micromatics; the blades with the notches are the ones that bear on this issue.

Oh I know why there are bumps and about all the reasons, but some people say it makes no difference in the shave which I can't see how that's possible. I definitely feel it.

EDIT: and Shimming is for windows. lol.

Oh I know why there are bumps and about all the reasons, but some people say it makes no difference in the shave which I can't see how that's possible. I definitely feel it.

EDIT: and Shimming is for windows. lol.

Shimming is for enabling one to use a perfectly good razor rather than let it sit in a drawer. Too old to LOL.

Top Bottom