What's new

Two Buck Chuck

A Trader Joe's wine shop open near Union Sq. in New York City. The talk around the office is all about "Two Buck Chuck" $2.99 a bottle. Is this stuff any good? Does TJ's carry a good red and is it worth the subway ride uptown?

Well, it's a great wine for cooking, but as a drinking wine...ugh...why bother? I mean, it's not the hands-down worst wine I've ever tried, but it's really over-rated as a great value (as far as drinking it goes). That said, if you're making sangrias or marinades, it's hard to beat.

My opinion: Two Buck Chuck is worth every penny.

It's got a very catchy name, and people love to think they've made a great find that there is a wine (that often comes with a hefty price tag) that can be had for such a low price. Do yourself a favor and splurge for the high-dollar stuff; you know, like 10 bucks.

A Trader Joe's wine shop open near Union Sq. in New York City. The talk around the office is all about "Two Buck Chuck" $2.99 a bottle. Is this stuff any good? Does TJ's carry a good red and is it worth the subway ride uptown?

It's 1.99 a bottle here. :confused:

It is a "passable" wine, their Cabernet is the best of the reds, the Sauvingion Blanc is the best of the whites, but other people swear by the Chardonay. (I HAte hate haTE chardonay)
I keep bottles on hand just for cooking.

There is a high residual sugar in the wines, which can make you feel a bit ill if you drink too much.
TJ's carries good stuff other than the wine though(I work at whole foods, and still shop there :lol: ) so a trip just for the vino, not really worth a trip, but I'll bet you come home with more than just wine, so it's worth it.

Do yourself a favor and splurge for the high-dollar
stuff; you know, like 10 bucks.
Their selection of imported wines is awesome, many many delicious wines for under 15 bucks, often below 10.
The Italian reds, and even the french are great buys, and cheap enough to experiment.:thumbup1:

Are you sure it's residual sugar that's making you feel ill? After an entire glass, I couldn't take any more.

You got the entire glass down? :eek:

I was thinking 3-4 sips, and after that, prepare the barf bag.:lol:

Disclaimer, The wine is not that bad, but for a few bucks more, a good sangiovese or a rhone wine can be had. (yes comparing a varietal to a region :rolleyes: )

Their selection of imported wines is awesome, many many delicious wines for under 15 bucks, often below 10.
The Italian reds, and even the french are great buys, and cheap enough to experiment.:thumbup1:

What are some names I should try.

Good article on these wines here. The short version: this stuff is made through the purchase of surplus CA grapes (the stuff local vintners decide not to keep and process to put their own labels on). It's hit or miss, to be sure. More miss than hit, in my limited experience with the brand, but the price point is certainly remarkable.

I'm not a big wine person, but I don't mind the Cab. The rest of 'em I'll pass on. Plus, its just so incredibly gauche to show up with a bottle of Charles Shaw (or even worse, serve it to your own guests). You're not fooling anyone. You're a cheapskate.

Back about 5 years or so ago, when Chuck Shaw was the cool new thing, you used to see people bringing it to restaurants (!) and paying the corkage fee (!!) all the time. I remember seeing a party of octogenarians doing this at a fairly fancy place in Palm Springs, with the sommolier proffering it like a '52 Latour - weird, but hillarious! :lol:

First off here in Washington due to high taxes, it is 3 buck chuck.

For a basic table wine it is good. Also, my wife and I are wine snobs. We have a nice little collection. When we have company we decide if ther guests are worth the good wine or 3 buck chuck.

What are some names I should try.

Being from NYC, you have a fantastic opportunity to explore European wines, as most are imported to the U.S. through NY. I'm on the West Coast, so most of my wines come from CA, but there are some fantastic wines from Spain and Italy that are extremely reasonably priced.

I've had many Spanish tempranillos and Itallian sangioveses (sangiovesi?) that are 1/2 of the price of comparable quality (in my opinion) CA wines. I wouldn't worry too much about names/labels, just pick the brain of your local wine purveyor a little. Concentrate on region and variety in lieu of labels, and once you find what region/variety you like, you'll never go wrong.

We go through stages when we drink a bottle of wine every night. It could get pretty expensive if those were $10-15 wines, so Charles Shaw fills that need and it's very drinkable. I've had $10.00 wines that were no better.
But I certainly wouldn't show up at a party with a bottle.

So TJ's in NY is charging 2.99?

Top Bottom