What's new

Two Buck Chuck

Three buck Chuck is certainly drinkable, but compared to something costing approx 3 times as much and having more complex flavors, it would not be considered that good. I first tried it about 4 years ago and it seemed better back then, but I do not drink wine that often so I am no expert.

I recently tried it again, first a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon that seemed to be missing something and not having a very complex flavor. After sitting a couple of days the remainder of the bottle tasted better but still seemed like something was missing as if it were a different type of wine. On my next trip to Trader Joe's I got some more Cabernet as well as a bottle of Merlot, and Shiraz in order to do a side by side tasting. Again it may be my inexperienced palate, but I thought they all tasted a little too similar to each other. The Merlot and Shiraz were better than the Cabernet. Both had a slightly more complex flavor and more of that pungent red wine taste...if I am describing it correctly.

V

VR6ofpain

I thought it was ok. It is really cheap, that is what it has going for it. Still I'd go for a good $5-8 bottle.

That sucks that in NY it is "three buck Chuck".

What was the old joke, "Two buck upchuck"?

Just a FYI, Quail Creek wine, sold by Whole Foods, is the same wine as charles shaw.
Different label for a different company.

As was mentioned by anothe rposter the Cab and Sav Blanc are the best of the bunch.
I go to Napa/Sonoma every other year to taste wines. My ritual is to have some Charles Shaw the first evening I am in Napa/Sonoma. We stop by Trader Joes and pick up a bottle or two and drink it out of plastic hotel room cups.
Its a novelty. I would not go out of my way to get a bottle.

As was mentioned in this thread there are many other better wines in or about the $10 range.
Years ago my cousin told me..."lifes to short to drink ordinary wine". There is so much good and interesting wine for less than $15 that it just ain't worth it.

Chuck has always been $3 on the East Coast.

Here in the southeast it is indeed 1.99. Has a lot to do with the taxes of your particular state.

I've tried a lot of the 2 buck Chuck offerings. If I didn't know they were 2.00 I probably would have mistaken them for at least a ten dollar wine. :biggrin:

Here's my favorite budget label (ten or twelve bucks in most stores). Straight outta Transylvania:

proxy.php

i remember seeing a piece on 60 Minutes or some other generic "reportive" tv about 4 years ago or so about "Two Buck Chuck." Apparently it was all the rage and people were obsessed with it out in California. Wine makers and wine snobs were all up in arms about this mad rush to a $2 wine. It was kind of funny and made me smile. People like what they like. I have no idea why but i have a slight obsession with Miller High Life. Afterall, it's the "Champagne of Beers" right? And the next night i'll have a nice pour of Balvenie 21yr Portwood. Go figure.

A Trader Joe's wine shop open near Union Sq. in New York City. The talk around the office is all about "Two Buck Chuck" $2.99 a bottle. Is this stuff any good? Does TJ's carry a good red and is it worth the subway ride uptown?

<Is this stuff any good?> No. It isn't any good. I suppose it is miraculous that any bottle of wine can be made and sold at retail for $3, but no it is not any good.

<Does TJ's carry a good red . . . .?>

Yes. TJs is kind of hit or miss, but it has some great values in reds. For whites, the TJ brand King Shag for New Zealand SB comes immediately to mind as a big bargain, in DC about $7.50. I would sure compare it to NZ SB selling for around $14 or a bit more. The house brand vinho blanco that sells for about $4.50 down here is really good, kind of appley and fizzy.

<is it worth the subway ride uptown?>

TJ's in general sure is. Great store even by NY standards I would think. Great frozen everything, expecialy fish, shrimp, chicken, meat. Decent "Simple Lager" beer for $3.99 a six. Trader Jose Mexican lager for about $5 a six if a recall is pretty good. Good selections of Vermont craft brews and Czech Pilsner for pretty cheap. Good chocolate. Good semi freshly squeezed orange juice. Good cheese.

Gruder has it right about the surplus grapes.

At least it does come in a bottle instead of a cardboard box.

Here in the southeast it is indeed 1.99. Has a lot to do with the taxes of your particular state.

I've tried a lot of the 2 buck Chuck offerings. If I didn't know they were 2.00 I probably would have mistaken them for at least a ten dollar wine. :biggrin:

Here's my favorite budget label (ten or twelve bucks in most stores). Straight outta Transylvania:

proxy.php

I bought a couple of bottles of their Cab when I was living in Chicago about seven or eight years ago. It was Halloween night and Mrs. Nid Hog and I were going to watch the horror movies on one of the classic movie channels after the kids went to bed. I was using a conventional corkscrew. When I pulled the cork, the entire top of the bottle came off--right above the label. Wine all over the place. I've never had anything like that happen before or after. Fortunately, we had more in reserve--the missus opened them while I de-Wined myself.

Top Bottom