What's new

Two blades in a DE?

Was cleaning up after my morning shave and I took my R41 apart and set it aside to clean. Normally when I do this I take the blade out and dispose of right away. Today I just took the razor apart and left it on the sink. When cleaning up I realized I hadn't taken the blade off the top cap. For some reason it just made me wonder if anyone had ever used two blades in a DE whether on purpose or by accident and what the results were?

If that idea had any merit someone would have marketed cartridges with multiple blades by now.

I accidentally used two blades at the same time one a few months after I started DE shaving. Incessant tugging - I thought it was because one of them was a Bic Chrome Platinum blade which for me is a tug of war. I took two strokes with the razor and switched blades. It was only later when I was disposing of the first blade that I realized that two blades were stuck together.

Not sure what would happen if there were two blades that both work for your face in the razor at the same time. I'll let you try it and report back as I'm currently happy with one blade at a time :laugh:

Well, that's a thought. If you stuck two crappy blades together would your shave be twice as good or twice as crappy?

Hi,

The blades are the same width. The curvature will pull the cutting edge of the top blade back slightly from the cutting edge of the bottom blade. So, in the end, only the bottom cutting edge will cut. To make this work, the top blade would have to be slightly wider than the bottom one.

The shim idea trims the cutting edge off of the bottom blade to, in effect, produce a thick blade, which are no longer produced. But, while there are two blades present, only one cuts.

Stan

I can't remember who it was, but in the early days of carts, some makers actually sold stacked DE blades. I am sure one of the gurus here has some scoop on that.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Not sure what would happen if there were two blades that both work for your face in the razor at the same time. I'll let you try it and report back as I'm currently happy with one blade at a time :laugh:[/QUOTE]

+1

Was cleaning up after my morning shave and I took my R41 apart and set it aside to clean. Normally when I do this I take the blade out and dispose of right away. Today I just took the razor apart and left it on the sink. When cleaning up I realized I hadn't taken the blade off the top cap. For some reason it just made me wonder if anyone had ever used two blades in a DE whether on purpose or by accident and what the results were?

The result was hysteresis, and that's how Gillette got the inspiration to invent the Trac II. :)

Hi,

Now, they did have stacked and bonded double cutting edge SE blades for the Injectors. Schick, Personna and Gillette all had those. This was prior to the dual blade carts coming out.

But, I do not recall any such for DE razors. Personna did pop out a DE variant of their two-blade SE cart called the Double-II, but that is not the same thing as a bonded double, double edged blade.

Stan

I'm game to try it!

If that idea had any merit someone would have marketed cartridges with multiple blades by now.
They did!

The Schick Twin Blade was one of them. They made stacked DE and Injector blades .

full

The Personna Double II, also sort of fits in this discussion. It was basically an early cartridge razor, but inside the head were two stacked DE blades. I believe there is some form of spacer between them though.

proxy.php

These are two that come to mind, there may have been others.

Hi,

The blades are the same width. The curvature will pull the cutting edge of the top blade back slightly from the cutting edge of the bottom blade. So, in the end, only the bottom cutting edge will cut. To make this work, the top blade would have to be slightly wider than the bottom one.
You last statement is backwards. If the top blade is wider and overlaps the bottom, the bottom one will never touch the skin. Both edges need to be exposed, so the top blade needs to be narrower, then you just need the right angle so they both touch the skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Ah. I had it right in my head. Said it backwards! :p

Anyway, I had never see the Schick stacked blades before. Of course, someone did that! Not gonna try one now, though.

Stan

I'm game to try it!

They did!

The Schick Twin Blade was one of them. They made stacked DE and Injector blades .

full

The Personna Double II, also sort of fits in this discussion. It was basically an early cartridge razor, but inside the head were two stacked DE blades. I believe there is some form of spacer between them though.

proxy.php

These are two that come to mind, there may have been others.

You last statement is backwards. If the top blade is wider and overlaps the bottom, the bottom one will never touch the skin. Both edges need to be exposed, so the top blade needs to be narrower, then you just need the right angle so they both touch the skin.

Well you know what this means: someone has to invent a triple DE blade now! I'm off to the lab!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom