What's new

two blades at the same time. :O

For your amusement..... Anyone else ever done this? Or want to admit the shame of doing so? :blink:

So, I'm trying out a Croma Diamant and I used it in the 37C slant. Didn't do very well, seemed kind of dull and tuggy - exactly like the first time using a derby in that razor a few weeks ago.

I thought I'd give it a go in the 2013 R41 since i put the derby in there and it gave a nice smooth shave. So, I pop the Croma in the Muhle and away I go. Didn't work very well. I kept saying to myself, same crappy shave as in the slant. owell....

After the shave, I pop the blade out and then I notice the blade says "Derby" on it. Wha???? I could have sworn I was using a Croma. I pick up the blade and it slips a little to reveal the Croma underneath. I was shaving with both blades.

No nicks, no cuts, just an unsatisfying shave. :cursing:

Thank you so much for performing this experiment (albeit unwittingly) so that none of the rest of us have to. But just to be thorough, could you repeat the process using different kinds of blades, being sure to switch top for bottom just for comparison and then report back on the results?.:wink2:

Thank you so much for performing this experiment (albeit unwittingly) so that none of the rest of us have to. But just to be thorough, could you repeat the process using different kinds of blades, being sure to switch top for bottom just for comparison and then report back on the results?.:wink2:

Only if you explain what the numbers mean.... :001_tt2:

Pretty funny. I came across a NOS blade sample pack of razor blades named "2002". The blades were made sometime in 1974. The company mated two DE blades together to give it a double edge. The top blade was a smaller dimension to keep the blade angles correct and to account for the blade curve when the TTO is tightened down. I posted a picture of it months ago in the razor blade forum but I can't find the thread. I'll take another photo of the package and post it later.

In similar past threads people have posted about the rare DE razors that were designed to use two or more blades. They applied much more curve to the blade so that the two would line up and still have a decent angle of attack.

I might try just slapping two blades (maybe with a shim) in my regular DE some time. If you adjust the angle for the trailing blade, the first might be just far enough from the face to cut without touching skin. Beard reduction, right?

Two blades at the same time, man

proxy.php

I'm wondering how you're going to keep from clogging up the gap between two blades even with a shim. It seems that would seriously reduce the effectiveness of both blades and crank up the discomfort factor a little.

I have wanted to try this exact experiment for months, but I have never gotten around to it. Blade, shim, blade. I wonder if it would work or if it would be a disaster?

I'm fairly certain this wouldn't work. Even without a shim, the blade lower down is pretty much just acting as a shiv because there is no angle with which both blades can touch the skin, but with the addition of the shim, it just increases the gap between the two blades. I don't know from trying or from experience, but I'm pretty sure it would just be the same thing as using 2 shims. Think about the upper blade as a pivot from which you can have the razor positioned so that blade and the cap or that blade and the blade guard are touching skin. Making it the blade guard and upper blade touching skin is the closest you can get to both blades touching, but there will be a negative blade exposure for sure....

This is all theoretic though so feel free to try hahah

I finally tried it. I loaded a Tech with one blade, then 2 shims, and then another blade. And I just want to say to all of you who doubted that this could work:

You were right!:ohmy:

The first pass was more or less OK, but the tugging and grabbing on the 2nd pass was unbearable. I finished up with another razor.

Conclusion: FAIL!

Last edited:
Top Bottom