What's new

Two band knot???

I recently purchased a few different knots types/grades from a few retailers ...The ones I have concerns about are labeled two band Shd...Under magnification I compared the hairs of High mountain, Silvertip and a cheapo black hair badger brush I have to the "two band shd"....To me the hair in the two band looked just like the black hair in my cheapo brush but with having the Tips Bleached to make it feel softer....If this is the case it seems a bit Shady to me...I could be wrong so please throw some knowledge at me...thanks

Photos don't tell the entire story.. How does it perfom?
The obvious bleaching of the hair doesn't come across well in a picture ...I used it for the first time this morning...It performed well but a 26mm knot is a little large for me.

Black hair badger knots are in the bottom grade of badger known as pure or 100%. That's about all that is good that can be said for them, that there is only badger hair involved. Most modern pure badger knots are shaped by clipping the tips making them scratchy and prickly. Bleaching the tips would do little or nothing to help them.

Black/Pure badgers I tried were completely different from two-band SHD badgers. If bleaching the black badgers turned into the two-band SHDs, I would be surprised. I'm likely to believe that the two-band SHD are more higher quality badger hairs that are treated to be even softer at the tips.

The obvious bleaching of the hair doesn't come across well in a picture ...I used it for the first time this morning...It performed well but a 26mm knot is a little large for me.
So are you unhappy with the size of the knot in your original post, or the characteristics?
From what I know of black badger knots and SHD knots, there are definitely differences other than just any bleaching/treating that might occur with the tips on SHD knots. Where did you get your SHD knots from?

So are you unhappy with the size of the knot in your original post, or the characteristics?
From what I know of black badger knots and SHD knots, there are definitely differences other than just any bleaching/treating that might occur with the tips on SHD knots. Where did you get your SHD knots from?
It's definitely not a performance issue...It is a naming/labeling issue for me...Reading through so many posts it is apparent there's a loose Standard for naming...I'm Learning...lol
So I will be naming all my brushes I make with bleached tipped knots Guy Fieri 😂

Not sure what black badger is but pure is typically 3-band from my experience. Tough to pass off as gel-tip 2-band.

full

Last edited:
Top Bottom