What's new

Two-Band Comparison

I know a lot of guys are often thinking about their next brush and one of the things that frequently comes up are the various brushes' specs. The three brushes I'm highlighting here are all very close in size but each has very different characteristics. First, it's always important to remember that individual brushes can vary widely. I have several Chubbies and the differences are so great I sometimes can't believe they're from the same manufacturer let alone the same model. So my comments are about these specific brushes and may not pertain to others.

Left to right, there's a Rooney 1XL, Chubby 1 and a Duke 3. Both of the Simpson Brushes come is 3-Band "Super" and "Best" as well as the 2-band Super of these examples. The Rooney has a 40mm handle and a 26.2-46 knot. The Chubby is 39 and 24-47 and the Duke 47 and 24-50.5.

While the Rooney has a slightly larger knot, the more important difference is the fan shaped knot, which makes it feel much larger than the other two. Sometimes fan shaped knots can splay too much, but the Rooney's über-density give it plenty of backbone. The tips are extremely soft and it is an ideal face-lathering brush.

The Chubby feels the smallest of the trio, with a compact knot that has hardly any bloom. While not as dense as the Rooney, it has an almost Thater-like radical bulb shape which delivers great backbone and is like a precision instrument on your face. Chubbies are often (rightly) thought to be lather-hogs, this one isn't. I've had many Simpson 2-bands over the years and this has some of the sweetest hair I've encountered.

The Duke is the disappointment in this group. As you can see in the picture, it's the least packed and with the higher loft it splays significantly when you're face-lathering even with a very light hand. I should say that I have other Dukes that are much better. I would normally expect a Duke to be less packed than a Chubby, but this one has been relegated to bowl lathering creams as it just seems under-packed.

$DSC00409.jpg$DSC00413.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
If I may piggy back on to your thread with 3 additional Two bands...

Ace Finest set in an Everready 400
TGN Finest XH set in a Rudy Vey Imitation Ivory Beehive
Shavemac D01 two band set in a Rudy Vey Natural Black Horn

$083.jpg
$082.jpg

The Ace, from Ebay is a real sleeper, I really like the knot. Not as dense as the other two but great for face lathering. The scritch is a little more than TGN, but less than D01.

The TGN is my favorite brush. Soft tips, good backbone, just a hint of scritch. Maybe slightly denser than the D01.

Shavemac advertises the D01 as "The Powerful" and with good reason. I really enjoy this brush, more scritch and backbone than the others, but not prickly. A soap terror.

I sold my Rooney 1XL, after getting the D01, I prefer a bit of scritch in my brushes. I sold my Chubby 1 two band because I felt it was too dense. YMMV.

If I may piggy back on to your thread with 3 additional Two bands...

The Ace, from Ebay is a real sleeper, I really like the knot. Not as dense as the other two but great for face lathering. The scritch is a little more than TGN, but less than D01.

The TGN is my favorite brush. Soft tips, good backbone, just a hint of scritch. Maybe slightly denser than the D01.

Shavemac advertises the D01 as "The Powerful" and with good reason. I really enjoy this brush, more scritch and backbone than the others, but not prickly. A soap terror.

I sold my Rooney 1XL, after getting the D01, I prefer a bit of scritch in my brushes. I sold my Chubby 1 two band because I felt it was too dense. YMMV.

This is a great example of different shavers' preferences. I agree with your description of the D01 2-band hair, which is why sent my last one back to Bernd to have the knot removed and replaced with a D01 3-band knot; way too scritchy for me. I've also found that with the D01 that the loft is critical and if you get below a loft/knot ratio of 2, it becomes uncomfortably stiff.

Top Bottom