What's new

Two Band/Bristle Mixed knot (Oumo) 24mm Brushes

Patched sanded cleaned out and reknotted.

Attachments

• 533FC6E4-3F3E-45DC-9F4E-348B4E5AC830.jpeg
    533FC6E4-3F3E-45DC-9F4E-348B4E5AC830.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 18
  • A5C79151-E350-4629-B82C-49EDD276F693.jpeg
    A5C79151-E350-4629-B82C-49EDD276F693.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 17
  • FB9CA498-A16F-4DEA-A42D-055144AD7E6B.jpeg
    FB9CA498-A16F-4DEA-A42D-055144AD7E6B.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 667E20C2-4117-40AE-8122-E645A00A1A7A.jpeg
    667E20C2-4117-40AE-8122-E645A00A1A7A.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 17
So after 3 uses the swelling knot pulled it open at the biggest crack/gap. I'm filling it with silicone and I'll see if it happens again and if it does maybe fill it once more before giving up. Basically trying to open up the handle enough the swelling knot doesn't exert enough pressure to rip it apart. Looks like I should have opened up the cavity a bit to reduce the pressure the knot put on the handle to spread.

06BD6409-9797-4B0D-8252-17DA312FE5C6.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yipes.

I'd bet you're going to have to remove the knot and open the size of the hole. Not that I know anything so I wouldn't bet much unless the odds were very good and I could consult with my bookie friend.

I'm actually kidding as I have no bookie friend (that I know of).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm thinking your right. The first Frankenbrush actually wasn't broken at all, just spiderwebbing in the plastic. This one was in pieces, and I suspect that glue won't hold it together if there's significant pressure trying to spread it (like a soaked knot that is very tightly fitted).

I will probably wind up doing just what you recommend, pull it, open the cavity a good bit and reseat the knot.

Pulling it is best. What glue did you use before and how did you prep it?

Good solvent cleaning is likely needed to get anything to hold. Some 2-part epoxy to fill gaps and reline or rebuild the hole ought to hold a swelling knot.

Just Silicone, Relatively easy to remove.

The rebuild was crazy glue and just cleaned joints to prep. They were rougher naturally than I'd have been able to get them sanding.

No no, the original rebuild. Still haven't fixed it a second time. Waiting to see if the silicone in the cracks gave it enough flexibility it won't break again (been 3 shaves with it so far and not pulled apart). If it does though, I'll need to sand it again to even out the joints.

Just broke it apart, took out the silicone, reglued it. Letting it cure and adjusting the cavity then I'll put the knot back.

Edit: Back together... She's quite the looker, no... Them's scars add character!

Cracks are filled with Superglue & Washita Dust mix. Wish I still had a buffing wheel. Hitting it with a really high grit to polish and blend the butterscotch patterning it's got now would really improve the looks I think.

Attachments

• 6818C86A-ED82-4B03-B859-6B23C274245C.jpeg
    6818C86A-ED82-4B03-B859-6B23C274245C.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 12
  • E79495A3-24CB-46BD-892E-25096E800B38.jpeg
    E79495A3-24CB-46BD-892E-25096E800B38.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 7D2AB770-AB29-4D14-857F-8F7CBEE7E446.jpeg
    7D2AB770-AB29-4D14-857F-8F7CBEE7E446.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've been thinking of what to do if that doesn't work (but I hope what you've done works).

What I'm thinking of is how to make the inside of the well as a unit strong enough to withstand the internal forces and thus avoid transferring them to the broken (and fixed but perhaps not strong) original material of the handle.

In other words, can there be a well within the well?

The interior well would be the (mechanically) important well. The exterior would be a facade; a non-stressed component.

I'm not entirely sure how to accomplish that. I'm not an engineer. Perhaps creating an interior but very thin layer or superglue such that inner layer is itself a well, and a structural well at that, would protect the facade? Again, I'm not claiming experience nor expertise here, but just thinking of how to solve a problem and throwing out my crazy ideas.

I hope my explanation at least makes sense.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Very old cheaper brushes often had a metal band around the knot for this exact reason... the plastic handle wasn't tough enough to not be ripped apart by the wet/swollen hair. The question would become what would work best in that role... doing the filled/well would certainly work with a water-tight and inflexible epoxy... but the extra room I'd need to properly do that would be significant. Superglue I don't think is viable... it is quite brittle when dried. I'd need something that dries to a more dense material, like a filling epoxy... maybe that "steel-weld" stuff loctite makes would work. I could work it till it's nice and warm and basically create a liner inside the handle and then put a touch of glue on the base of the knot and set it in place... so the epoxy could harden (it supposedly hardens to being very nearly like steel in physical properties), and create a band around the whole knot within the handle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very old cheaper brushes often had a metal band around the knot for this exact reason... the plastic handle wasn't tough enough to not be ripped apart by the wet/swollen hair. The question would become what would work best in that role... doing the filled/well would certainly work with a water-tight and inflexible epoxy... but the extra room I'd need to properly do that would be significant. Superglue I don't think is viable... it is quite brittle when dried. I'd need something that dries to a more dense material, like a filling epoxy... maybe that "steel-weld" stuff loctite makes would work. I could work it till it's nice and warm and basically create a liner inside the handle and then put a touch of glue on the base of the knot and set it in place... so the epoxy could harden (it supposedly hardens to being very nearly like steel in physical properties), and create a band around the whole knot within the handle.

Yes, that's what I meant. I believe you said it better and probably had already thought it out.

I meant super glue in the most generic sense, that is, in a sense inclusive of darn near anything. Epoxy sounds vastly better for the job, but I know very little about these adhesives.

Would work? Maybe you know or soon will. As they say, all experiments are encouraged (but it's your handle).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just broke it apart, took out the silicone, reglued it. Letting it cure and adjusting the cavity then I'll put the knot back.

Edit: Back together... She's quite the looker, no... Them's scars add character!

Cracks are filled with Superglue & Washita Dust mix. Wish I still had a buffing wheel. Hitting it with a really high grit to polish and blend the butterscotch patterning it's got now would really improve the looks I think.

i kind of dig the look as is. If you cant get past the look and it holds up to expansion...

Not much of a tutorial, Glue, sand, after it cracks, glue again + pack some washita dust I've got on my sink from lapping a washita into the crack to prevent the glue shrinking as it sets... seems to be holding, but it's far from a developed technique.

I will be taking more pictures if it holds a few more weeks though.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not much of a tutorial, Glue, sand, after it cracks, glue again + pack some washita dust I've got on my sink from lapping a washita into the crack to prevent the glue shrinking as it sets... seems to be holding, but it's far from a developed technique.

I will be taking more pictures if it holds a few more weeks though.

Thought you were filling the well with epoxy and drilling a new hole.

Top Bottom