What's new

Twist pens

I don't like ball point pens. For some reason way back in my teens I just grew to despise them. I didn't like the spring loaded button on the back end, they were too small a diameter to grip right, and it seemed to me that the ink was like a slippery agent that made the pen hard to control and allow me to write legibly. For the longest time my writing pen of choice were felt tips - like the Ultra Fine Flair pens. Felt tips had more tip "friction" and my penmanship seemed to be alot better with felt tip pens.

Only for work the felt tips would dry out quickly. And I didn't like gel pens either. One day at a warehouse seminar they passed out some free pens. They were these "twist body" style. The were twistable at the waist (instead of a button) to extend and retract the ball tip, had a wider diameter to hold more easily, and for some reason they didn't seem to roll all over the place. I just loved them. When the sample ran out, I went back to that warehouse to get a few more. Apparently I was like the only guy who liked them. Everybody else hated them, and they stopped ordering them. Just to be rid of them they gave my a large handful - the remainder of what they had. When I started getting low I searched around town. No dice. Office Max and those types of stores only carry the popular styles. And the twist wasn't one. And not knowing the name made an internet search difficult.

Come to find out they were a promotional style - the BIC Pivot Twist - and although still made, every supplier has a minimum order of 300! Good grief! Finally talked to my local marketing expert, and he can get about a dozen or so for me. I'm really grateful, as I'm down to my last 3. Gulp!

What do you guys think? Anybody use fine felt tips or the Pivot Twist? Here's a shot of the Pivot Twist style that I like.

P.S. I tried the Dr. Grip pens with the rubber cover. Gotta say I like it. Was going to convert over to it if I couldn't find the twist pens. Till I found out the refills were $6 and change!
IMG_7408.JPG

I don't care for ballpoints. If I'm not using a fountain pen, the it will be a rollerball.

If you enjoy the felt tips, perhaps you would like the Parker 5th series of pens.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Glad you found a pen that works for you. I’m found of my Retro 51 roller ball pens that also use a twist mechanism.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don’t mind them. I have a few tucked away somewhere. Might dig them out and use them.

I'm not a big fan of ballpoints in general, and definitely not a fan of ones that can't be refilled. I gather that there is no way to refill these Bics?

If I do use a ballpoint, I like one that will take the Schmidt Easyflow refills. That includes the twist style Retro 1951s, which will also take some liquid ink rollerball and gel refills. And they will take Fisher Space Pen refills, with the adapter than comes with those.

There are at least two twist action retractable fountain pens, the Pilot Fermo and the Lamy Dialog 3. I have no experience with either, but I do have the push button type Pilot Capless Decimo and Vanishing Point, which are quite nice; I prefer the slimmer Decimo. All of these are quite expensive for people used to low end ballpoint prices, although there's less waste from throwing away refills, or entire pens. Throw away enough disposable ballpoints over time, and you'll have thrown away the cost of something bettter.

Well, my promotions guy came through! He called and when I went in he handed me a bag of 30-40 pens!
I've never had them accidentally retract, and no they are not refillable. Since I used them mostly for work if they'd have had any shortcomings I wouldn't have kept them.

Cross ballpoint pens used to have the twist to open / retract capability. I had on in high-school, till it was stolen. After that, I got into fountain pens, and have never looked back.

Top Bottom