What's new

Twin blade cartridge razor question

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any twin blade razors that do not use the "Lift and cut" concept? I've been using a Futur and it works great, however it seems that the lift/cut method is what causes a lot of the irritation and I'm just wondering if a non lift/cut cartridge would lessen it. I still don't think the shave would be as good as a DE though.

Thanks,

Chewy

Interesting - I did not really think anything except electrics used a real lift an cut system. Cartridges just use several blades so it is like three passes in one. But I did not think they had any lifting effect (whatever bs they may advertise).

Bic Used to make a single blade use and toss -I think it was called BIC METAL not 100% sure.

Chewy said:
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any twin blade razors that do not use the "Lift and cut" concept? I've been using a Futur and it works great, however it seems that the lift/cut method is what causes a lot of the irritation and I'm just wondering if a non lift/cut cartridge would lessen it. I still don't think the shave would be as good as a DE though.

Thanks,

Chewy

Chewy,

It is my opinion and I think many will agree that the Gillette Sensor was the last 'good and usable' cartridge razor that Gillette made. It is a twin blade cartridge system and I personally do not consider it a 'lift and cut' system. I currently have the Sensor in my rotation of razors and sometimes use it as 'cleanup' after a few passes with my DE. It is a great tool, especially for the moustache and chin area.

There three variations of the Sensor cartridge. The 'Sensor', the 'Sensor Excel' and the 'Sensor Excel 3'. The Sensor is just a twin blade cartridge with a tiny lube strip above the blades. The Sensor Excel is also a twin blade but adds a 'microfin strip' below the blades to 'stretch the skin' and a larger lube strip above the blades. The Sensor Excel 3 adds a third blade! Ouch!!!

I have used all three and I much prefer the plain old 'Sensor.' As with most wetshaving, "less is more" or "less is better." I get NO irritation with the Sensor but DO get irritation with the Excel and the Excel 3. I attribute it to the 'microfin strip' which is supposed to stretch the skin ahead of the blade. Further proof that the 'stripped down' version is better.

I have a George Trumper mock ivory handle for my Sensor and really like the feel and looks of it. Aftermarket handles are available at some shaving sites. I am sure Em's Place has some. Also, replacement cartridges can be had from eBay at very reasonable prices.

Anyway, that is my take on the best twin blade cartridge razor! As always, YMMV! :smile:

P.S. -- FWIW My other razor is a Merkur 1904 with either a Feather, a Swede or an Israeli. :ohmy:

Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I will try the Sensor and use the techniques that I have learned with the DE. The reason I thought of this issue was because I tried the Gillette Fusion non-powered and initially had no irritation. However, the next day, I noticed that my beard had not grown as much compared to the DE shave. Then the problems started -- the Fusion lifted/cut many of the whiskers slightly below skin level and then the ingrowns/irritation started. It seems a DE close shave, shaves at the skin level and that is what helps keep the ingrowns/irritation to a minimum. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

Chewy

Top Bottom