What's new

Twig Thorn v Twig

I purchased the Twig Thorn recently having had the Twig for some time. I thought it might be interesting to compare the two. During the course of this review, I’ll refer to them as the Thorn and Twig respectively.

When I got the Thorn I could not, for the life of me, detect any difference between it and the Twig. I emailed the friendly people at Leaf Shave (the manufacturer). They referred me to a raised dot in the middle of the base plate of the Thorn. It indicates you have a Thorn. The dot does not exist on the Twig.

My first tip is - if you are going to buy both, make sure they are a different colour! The dot is only able to be seen when the cap is wound up and off the base plate.

I am a daily shaver because of work. My beard is of medium thickness and my hair is neither fine nor course. I always shave after a shower, face rinse and apply pre-shave gel. I lather up and get into it with a Gillette 7 O’clock Green.

The Twig is a great shave for me, including my neck. Despite a flaring of the handle at the base, it is very well balanced. The head is very narrow and allows me to get into all those inconvenient places where a large head might not. I like the aesthetics of it. It is certainly a different looking razor from the average, with a far from standard mechanism. I find a shallow angle, nearly like a Gem, works well. Search “Twig Razor” on YouTube if you haven’t seen it before.

When I first got it, my Twig’s blade reveal was ever so slightly crooked as I tightened the cap on the base. The front edge of the cap was not exactly parallel with the front edge of the base plate. I contacted Adam at Leaf and received a quick and informative response. He said it would not affect the shave because the blade was aligned with the razor base. The cap just held it in. However, as the cap tightened, he suggested I give a little nudge to the side of the cap as it closes. That worked. I also found, if I unwound the cap as far as it would go and then wound it closed, the problem was solved.

All of those good things about the Twig apply equally to the Thorn. However, don’t be fooled by the similarity between the looks. The Thorn is much more aggressive. Strangely, I didn’t detect any different blade feel. I found it slightly more efficient but… and it is a big but for me, no matter what I did, I saw blood. Upper lip, chin and on the sides of my neck. Even where I saw no blood, the alum block told me my skin was irritated.

That is not to say this razor will not appeal. For those of you who like their adjustable razors on a high setting, or feather blades in a slant, this could be the razor for you. That both take a DE blade snapped in two, is a huge plus for variety. No proprietary blade required here.

The Twig Thorn is not for me but the Twig certainly is.

I bought a Thorn about a month ago and used it for about two weeks before rotating back to another razor (Fatip OCS, as it happens). I haven’t tried the Twig.

I agree with everything Wal59 says about the Thorn. BUT, for me the Thorn’s level of efficiency is about right. I have do take care with it. But the light touch I can use and the overall balance made for a short learning curve.

The Thorn won’t replace my DEs, but it has joined the rotation. In fact, it’s back on board again starting tomorrow.

Glad you like it. The mechanism so striking it really is a must for the aficionado’s collection. Another I found recently is the Modular Adjustable Razor System (Mars razor). An SE with replaceable plates (1 to 10) like the Rockwell but an utterly new mechanism. 7 or 8 plate sounds like you.

I purchased the Twig Thorn recently having had the Twig for some time. I thought it might be interesting to compare the two. During the course of this review, I’ll refer to them as the Thorn and Twig respectively.

When I got the Thorn I could not, for the life of me, detect any difference between it and the Twig. I emailed the friendly people at Leaf Shave (the manufacturer). They referred me to a raised dot in the middle of the base plate of the Thorn. It indicates you have a Thorn. The dot does not exist on the Twig.

My first tip is - if you are going to buy both, make sure they are a different colour! The dot is only able to be seen when the cap is wound up and off the base plate.

I am a daily shaver because of work. My beard is of medium thickness and my hair is neither fine nor course. I always shave after a shower, face rinse and apply pre-shave gel. I lather up and get into it with a Gillette 7 O’clock Green.

The Twig is a great shave for me, including my neck. Despite a flaring of the handle at the base, it is very well balanced. The head is very narrow and allows me to get into all those inconvenient places where a large head might not. I like the aesthetics of it. It is certainly a different looking razor from the average, with a far from standard mechanism. I find a shallow angle, nearly like a Gem, works well. Search “Twig Razor” on YouTube if you haven’t seen it before.

When I first got it, my Twig’s blade reveal was ever so slightly crooked as I tightened the cap on the base. The front edge of the cap was not exactly parallel with the front edge of the base plate. I contacted Adam at Leaf and received a quick and informative response. He said it would not affect the shave because the blade was aligned with the razor base. The cap just held it in. However, as the cap tightened, he suggested I give a little nudge to the side of the cap as it closes. That worked. I also found, if I unwound the cap as far as it would go and then wound it closed, the problem was solved.

All of those good things about the Twig apply equally to the Thorn. However, don’t be fooled by the similarity between the looks. The Thorn is much more aggressive. Strangely, I didn’t detect any different blade feel. I found it slightly more efficient but… and it is a big but for me, no matter what I did, I saw blood. Upper lip, chin and on the sides of my neck. Even where I saw no blood, the alum block told me my skin was irritated.

That is not to say this razor will not appeal. For those of you who like their adjustable razors on a high setting, or feather blades in a slant, this could be the razor for you. That both take a DE blade snapped in two, is a huge plus for variety. No proprietary blade required here.

Interesting review! If you could compare the Twig razor (only twig, not the thorn) to the EJ DE89 or merkur 34c in blade feel, aggressiveness and blade chatter, how would you describe it? Do you think the twig is better over those two?

I mention those two models because they are pretty much the "standard" for every wet shaver who likes a smooth and mild shave, I personally really like both and I got really interested in the twig but I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has tried it if it's worth it the twig (compared to those two) on having a milder/smoother shave. Thanks!

I've posted a tip about the Twig-Thorn in another thread : Maintaining a 35-degree-or-so angle between handle and skin gives me smoother and more efficient shaves than more riding the cap. (I usually ride the cap more with my DEs.) The instructions that came with the razor have this recommendation, and for me it's great advice.

Interesting review! If you could compare the Twig razor (only twig, not the thorn) to the EJ DE89 or merkur 34c in blade feel, aggressiveness and blade chatter, how would you describe it? Do you think the twig is better over those two?

I mention those two models because they are pretty much the "standard" for every wet shaver who likes a smooth and mild shave, I personally really like both and I got really interested in the twig but I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has tried it if it's worth it the twig (compared to those two) on having a milder/smoother shave. Thanks!
G’day Kurahell. Good suggestion. I have an EJ DE89. However I rarely use it. It’s shave is singularly disappointing for me. An uneven, inconsistent nightmare altogether. But I’ll try it again. I prefer the EJ 3ONE6. I do like the 34C. I’ll get the Thorn, DE89 and 34C out in the next fortnight or so, give them a run and get back to you.

G’day Kurahell. Good suggestion. I have an EJ DE89. However I rarely use it. It’s shave is singularly disappointing for me. An uneven, inconsistent nightmare altogether. But I’ll try it again. I prefer the EJ 3ONE6. I do like the 34C. I’ll get the Thorn, DE89 and 34C out in the next fortnight or so, give them a run and get back to you.
Thank you mate, I'm really looking forward to reading your opinion :)

Twig n thorn.jpg

I am participating in a pass around in another neighborhood with the Twig (gold) and the Thorn (rose gold, left). The first shave with the Twig sold me, and I plan to add one soon to the razor drawer. I tend to prefer mild and efficient razors. Yesterday was the first shave with the Thorn, and today was another Thorn shave, details from a post over there copied below.

A great shave until the ATG pass in the goatee area. I had some weepers or nicks yesterday but chalked it up to new injector blade in the Type M that I use for that area. Today I didn't use the M, and got worse results, i.e., many more (like 5!!) nicks/weepers on the chin and corners of the mouth. To be fair, "maskne" has been worse for me of late, so maybe whatever razor I use is going to hit the irritated areas and make me leak. What I figure, as I sip my tea (one sips tea and slurps coffee!), is that since the Thorn is, per Leaf, a medium+ on the aggressive scale, so it "hits" the imperfections more than a milder razor, like the Twig.

In the name of science, I am willing to take it on the chin again tomorrow and will use the Twig exactly as I did the Thorn today.

I also have a Thorn and found it results in weepers and sore skin, which makes me wonder if I should have opted for the Twig instead.
Having said that, I followed Chaucer's advice and changed my angle which resulted in a better shave with only one weeper. I actually ended up holding the handle almost parallel to my skin, which felt odd and somewhat counterintuitive, but a lot less like I was scraping my skin.

I also have a Thorn and found it results in weepers and sore skin, which makes me wonder if I should have opted for the Twig instead.
Having said that, I followed Chaucer's advice and changed my angle which resulted in a better shave with only one weeper. I actually ended up holding the handle almost parallel to my skin, which felt odd and somewhat counterintuitive, but a lot less like I was scraping my skin.
By George he’s got it! 🥸

Interesting post. I have the Twig.....used it with different blades and never got a close shave as I get with many other razors.....put it aside and have never used it again...... The Leaf with 2 blades gives me a better shave (yet I don't use it very much either).

I purchased the Twig about a year ago and liked it so much I picked up the big brother, The Thorn. Both are very good razors but make no mistake about the Thorn being more aggressive.
I like the sleekness of the razor. I also like the company website and management. Their customer service is excellent.
I pretty much use my Muhle R41 and Rocca along with my EJ 3ONE6 and Outlaw razors when DE shaving. I am also learning the way of the straigh razor more recently therefore have not been using my Thorn on a regular basis, but certainly an excellent single edge razor.

I have the thorn and I’ve shaved it to the last week so far their blades have lasted a week for me and also no weapers. So far I like it it’s very smooth sometimes I don’t feel the blade at all

Top Bottom