What's new

TWELFTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2021 Edition

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210222_200119.jpg

Shave#22

Tonight I have decided to use my Gillette slim twist as it's nice and mild and I wanted to see if the blade would hold up and still give a decent shave. Used Proraso blue with a cheap Chinese badger that really needs breaking in. Very good shave today barely noticed there was a blade in it. After my final pass I did notice some irritation on my neck so I broke out the Nivea balm.
The blade is still hanging in there and you would notice the deterioration in performance, but it is still useable.

OBIF SOTD #22
SOTD-W_2021-02-22.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac Olive Wood 20/44 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Rasozero Agrumella
Razor: 2020 Gillette Tech on custom olive wood handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (22)
ASL: Rasozero Agrumella with added menthol

Another very enjoyable shave. :biggrin:

My ~$3 razor is a pleasure to use. It likes all the blades I like (including the current Personna Red) too. :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

20210223_112403-01.jpeg

Shave no. 23. The blade ain't dull yet, however, the progressive loss of sharpness made me go for a forth pass today (BBS-/DFS+). More and more, my skin feels a bit sensitive (there is no redness/irritation on my sensitive neck, but a slight level of discomfort on the cheeks). I need to apply a balm and see if my skin "recovers" untill tomorrow. I know that the blade is capable of 5 (+) more shaves, but my skin shouldn't get worse...

Merkur 11 Open Comb
Nacet Stainless (23)
Vie Long horse
Real Shaving Company cream, face lathered
Nivea Deep Post Shave Lotion

Taking almost two full passes and significant blade buffing to achieve DFS. If I wasn't courting longevity I would have probably binned the blade. Not that the Nacet isn't performing...it just isn't performing as effectively. Then again, the Merkur is a mild OC. I might have a different take if I was using a Gillette New SC or LC. That said, I have every reason to expect this blade to make thirty shaves.

Shark Super Stainless (23)

I thought a bump in aggression might help so I switched to plate 5 in my Rockwell 6c back on shave 21. I have not really noticed a lot of difference in blade effectiveness, but I did notice that I need to be more careful. I had a couple small nicks and some neck irritation the first time I used plate 5.

I really have no idea how long I could keep shaving with this blade. If I had unlimited time in the mornings and nothing better to do, I would leave the blade in the razor and see just how long I could keep shaving with it. I will get five more shaves out of it, but if left to my own I would have likely trashed it at shave 20. The blade is still smooth enough and I have no real irritation, it just needs a ton of buffing to get my trouble spots.

shave #24

Shower with Tabac Original soap
Coswell Prep
Tabac Original stick and face lather
Yaqi Familia Sagrada synth. brush
Dscosmetic T7 head with SSC19 handle
Tabac Original Aftershave
Tabac Original EDT

Good shave, sharpness of the blade is the same, cuts but need more attention. Still rougher than before...little bit of irritation on the neck which is ok. It will survive until the end of month but all in all...this blade gave its all few shaves ago. I can shave with it, but someone with stronger hair would probably have big problems.
I didn't want to go for BBS...it's not worth it at this point because of possible widespread irritation, and anyway I'm never going for BBS...if it happens it happens.

For sake of "science", blade will be used tommorow in FaTip Piccolo, just to see if I will survive that combination now :D

Sent from my Y7 using Tapatalk

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Preshave: Hot Shower & MWF Protolather
Bowl: Savanna Shave Scuttle
Brush: RazoRock 400 Aluminum Handle Plissoft knot
Razor: Rockwell 6S with plate 4
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless shave 15
Postshave: Bosomo Alum Block, Hyaluronic Acid, CeraVe AM Moisturizer
EDT: Kouros

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210223_194904.jpg

Shave#23

I've been getting great shaves from my Parker 26C so I used it again tonight. The BIC blade is showing the wear with my more aggressive razors but the Parker doesn't seem to mind. My soap was Razorock XXX, I wasn't all in on the scent when I got it, but it's growing on me, lathered with one of my favourite brushes, the Yaqi lucky dice. The shave was good but I can't wait to start a new blade (the Kai PIF is up next)

OBIF SOTD #23
SOTD-WR2-R_2021-02-23.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Rasozero Agrumella
Razor: Wolfman WR2-SB 1.25 head on a "world's finest" handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (23)
ASL: Rasozero Agrumella with added menthol

An interesting, and good, shave. :biggrin:

Like most DE razors, the Wolfman was "different." (I love the "Tech type" blade loading design and its simple but beautiful looks.) I enjoyed the shave, but I definitely need a lot more training. My idea was to use the Wolfman for the upcoming FFFMM... but I'll give it three shaves before making that decision.

The rest of the kit was excellent, as usual, and my OBIF Personna Red is doing just fine. :yesnod:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Razor: Timeless SS .95 SCL
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (24th)
Brush: Semogue Owners Club boar
Cream: Cella

SWS_20210221.jpg

I've never used the same DE blade beyond 21 shaves, but I firmly believe this one still has a few good shaves in it. I plan to finish the month regardless of the performance over the next 5 days. Color me impressed!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Shave #12, Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Preshave: shower
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Zenith boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S, plate 3
Blade: Astra SS
Aftershave: Nivea Cooling
Notes: Head scratcher. I seriously don’t understand why this blade continues to deliver such smooth, long-lasting shaves.

Top Bottom