What's new

TWELFTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2021 Edition

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
February is over so our OBIF-C is behind us.

It was an interesting month for me in that I learned absolutely noting about my blade, but a lot about blades other gentlemen were trying on. I've been using the same blade for a long time (the Wizamet SI or the Polsilver SI; these are actually the same blade other than the packaging). Learning my blade better wasn't going to happen, but the challenge was still fun and interesting.

1614600533137.png

I'd like to thank @GermanShaver! f or making this happen, and thank everyone who participated and shared with us what they went through and learned.

Perhaps some of you gentlemen loving a challenge will join in the March Fixed Four. You're invited for sure.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Cheap and simple. Gillette Tech razor, Williams mug soap for $1.19 from local supermarket, Gillette Nacet blade on its 32nd, 2 pass DFS shave. Plan to bin the blade after 36 shaves. Goal, if needed, make a tuck last a year. FYI Nacets come in tucks of 10.

Cheap and simple. Gillette Tech razor, Williams mug soap for $1.19 from local supermarket, Gillette Nacet blade on its 32nd, 2 pass DFS shave. Plan to bin the blade after 36 shaves. Goal, if needed, make a tuck last a year. FYI Nacets come in tucks of 10.
They do? Mine are 5 to a box, but they have what appears to be Arabic writing, so maybe we have different packs.

Anyway, kudos for getting 30+ shaves per blade. I usually feel like mine needs to be binned after 20 or so shaves.

The real benefit to the One Blade challenge is that when you figure out how to make a blade last, you tend to use the next one in that manner to start with, and any blade you use will probably last longer -- I believe it's a matter of refining technique.

I did most of that when I was a poor student and $1.79 for blades was a big deal (out of the $5 a week I had for "fun" money!).

I will be shaving for a long time with this Sputnik -- skipped Sunday because I had people in and out of the house all day, but today was shave #28 and it's not done yet. Still on the first edge, so I'll go back to my normal rotation and be using this blade four days a week, should get me through April

I haven't checked back since the start, but I got 17 out of a humble GSB. It was never as sharp as a Nacet, but it caimed down more quickly. And nowhere as smooth as the British Wilkinson I used last year, but I doubt many, if any are.
At any rate, I now have respect for a blade I'd previously had very little experience with.

Hi,

Oops. I forgot to check in at the end. For me, March 2nd as I shaved with the Feb blade on the 1st. Because I skipped a day during the month with the Med Prep in the Fasan DoubleSlant. Yes, that means I eked it out for all 28 days. I ought to have pulled it after 24 shaves, but, man, four more shaves! :)

Usually, I swap out the blade on the 1st and 16th each month. The Fasan does well with blades. ;)

One year, there was a PIF of Personna 74 blades. I ran that 30 days for easy bookkeeping and then ran it 15 days in the following year for 45 total days in the Fasan. I wish those blades would return!

Stan

Still going strong, got shave #36 on the first edge today. Should last into the mid or upper 70's, making this an average blade for me. Gotta say, it sure is sharp though, I've been struggling with weepers on my chin even with the Slim set to 4 rather than the normal 7. That said, this is the first time I used this particular razor, so it's always possible it's bent and the other side will be much milder (or worse!). I'll check it after I'm done with the blade some time in May.

Finally done with that Sputnik. 92 shaves, could probably get more, but I'm getting stubble too early in the afternoon so I put it away.

It was fun! Nice blade by the way, very smooth even when it won't cut all that well, unlike the Rapira Platinum Lux I replaced it with -- that one started pulling badly as it wore, especially on the second side.

I have PMed @goby whether or not Goby intends to host the 2022 OBIF thread (he is offline since January 15th).
In case he doesn’t get back to me in course of today I'll start a thread tomorrow, just to get things started (trusting it will find his permission).

So pls don't state "I'm in" here - there will be a new thread in any case.

Last edited:
The new thread (2022 OBIF) is open - @Mike M was even quicker than me :)

Top Bottom