What's new

Tweaking bent heads

R

romsitsa

It takes some time, but is doable. Still needs some fine tuning.

IMG_2462.jpg
we.jpg
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2470.jpg

I have a Double Ring, a Bulldog and a Big Fellow that need the same operation. My idea was to use a pipe to put below the cap or base plate before hammering..

R

romsitsa

I'll take a pic of the setup, but nothing special. A vice two srcews a small hammer and patience.
I would say it is roughed out now, cap dings are still present and the curve is wrong in two corners.

R

romsitsa

This is the setup to straighten heads. You place the cap/comb onto the screw heads and hit the bent part. The only trick is to determine what is actually bent, so a mint razor is handy to compare progress.
IMG_2491.jpg IMG_2492.jpg

And this is used for stubborn teeth. You place the bent teeth onto the L iron and hit the outer edge while hoping it will not snap. If the material is deformed (condensed) at the base of the bend, the bulge has to be hammered back before straightening.
IMG_2493.jpg

Thank you very much for the pics. This is a very good motivation for me to start my restaurant project. Will order tomorrow the steel pipes I going to use to fix bent heads of the Old Types. But I will leave my Double Ring as it is :)

Fantastic work. I call this a real revamp, not that what is sold for lots of money.

I will post pics of my attempts once the tools I have ordered are there and I find the time to start.

R

romsitsa

Fantastic work. I call this a real revamp, not that what is sold for lots of money.

I will post pics of my attempts once the tools I have ordered are there and I find the time to start.
Thanky you.
Looking forward to see your progress.
If you mess up, no worries, it opens new possibilites to fix things (I still mess up 50-50) :)

Motivated by the great work posted here I started to revamp my Old Types. I had the idea some months ago but did not have the necessary tools. Today I'm happy to present my first results...

To start simple I have started with a three piece razor that does not look bad at the first sight
IMG_20220217_193200.jpg

But looking more closely on the head you can see that the head is very slightly bent giving the blade a "smile". This makes the razor very aggressive and I assume that's why Old Types are considered to be so.

IMG_20220217_193217_.jpg

IMG_20220217_193315_.jpg

IMG_20220217_193324_.jpg

After ten minutes of work there is no "smile" any more

IMG_20220217_194938_.jpg

IMG_20220217_194538_.jpg

IMG_20220217_194527_.jpg

And my very expensive magical tools are

IMG_20220217_194731_.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Motivated by the great work posted here I started to revamp my Old Types. I had the idea some months ago but did not have the necessary tools. Today I'm happy to present my first results...

To start simple I have started with a three piece razor that does not look bad at the first sight
View attachment 1411475

But looking more closely on the head you can see that the head is very slightly bent giving the blade a "smile". This makes the razor very aggressive and I assume that's why Old Types are considered to be so.

View attachment 1411488
View attachment 1411489

View attachment 1411490

After ten minutes of work there is no "smile" any more

View attachment 1411492

View attachment 1411493

View attachment 1411491

And my very expensive magical tools are

View attachment 1411487

Thanks for reading!
Nice what a great and simple tool kit. its genious. what size pipe did you use. with this thread we hobbyists may rescue some razors that might have been put out to pasture. :)

Nice what a great and simple tool kit. its genious. what size pipe did you use. with this thread we hobbyists may rescue some razors that might have been put out to pasture. :)

The pipe with the three holes for the cap has a diameter of 5cm. The other a diameter of 6cm.

The razors in the pics above is from 1910. It is really fun to revamp such a razor and use it. I must say it gives a much better shave than many modern razors. Had today my first run with it.

Top Bottom