What's new

Tv streaming devices...

As the title says.. Lets discuss these varied devices here.. What do you have and what tips and tricks have you discovered for them??

I have a Roku, an Amazon fire , and a smart TV. The Amazon fire sits in the closet. I won't order another one. The Roku works well; no issues streaming and plenty of variety. The Samsung smart TV is great as well, but not everything is available as an app for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Amazon Firestick 4K

I’ve learned that if you don’t use their power supply, you will have problems. Also, don’t bother with the Ethernet adapter. Wireless is faster.

We became Amazon Prime members and downloaded Hulu with Disney +. We told Cox Communications to cancel our TV, their silly Homelife and we are not sorry in the least. It’s a bit of work getting to your programs, but worth it. I also have a subscription to Hulu’s DVR, although you really don’t need it.

I’ve not heard back from Cox, which surprised me. The last time I cancelled the TV service and went to DirecTV, they came to me with offers that would have kept me, but they were too late. This time they said nothing. No calls with special offers, no letters in the mail. Apparently, they just no longer care.

I switched because Cox sent me a notice that my package was moving from $250 per month to $300 per month. I now pay $92 for 500Mbps Internet, $8.25 paid annually for Prime and $72 for Hulu & Disney+. I figure $172 per month beats the heck out of $300 per month.

Apple tv user here, first generation, no problems whatsoever, I stream Netflix, Hulu, Prime and Disney plus.

I have the first generation so when is time to upgrade I am thinking on trying out Amazon tv since we have Alexa in a couple of rooms and wouldn't mind the automation of everything. Then again, we don't watch much tv since we are trying to balance screen time with the kiddos.

Used a Roku Premier for years, zero issues with it. Stupid simple to setup and use. Just be sure you have good WiFi reception in your TV's location. I've had good success with signal-repeaters but it's just one more thing to fiddle with and set-up.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Started with a Google Chrome cast toggle. Worked well but got tired of using my phone to search for programs. I ended up search on a PC and adding to my favorites to cast from there. Cheap and cheerful.

I wanted a onscreen device so got a Android TV box. It came jail broken so a few normal paid streaming apps did not allow a normal download. Side loaded them ok but the interface of the apps for the remote sucked.
It was a cheap as chips device and started to need rebooting often after a year. Other than that I was happy with it.

Then I got a Nvidia Shield TV. Great little device. Handle most of the apps except a NZ streaming app only which was not available to play on it. That was more the app designers issue but could be streamed with built in chrome cast so no real biggie.
The remote was very basic but the latest version looks better. You can download a app to your phone to control the unit if you want.

I also got a NZ made unit. The specs had it looking good but fell short on a few fronts.
Netflix never gave them access to load the app on the unit and even the built in chrome cast would not find the device. Strange indeed. They said it was in submission but it never came. Now they have a new device, so looks like it will never come.
It has a built in free view tuner and two channel recorder which was the main reason I got it and the NZ app did not work on the shield worked on it so between the two I was set.
The NZ app was combined with another NZ app which worked on the shield, so it hardly gets used at all now.

I finally upgrade to a new TV with built in streaming. It's got the main apps available, including all NZ apps, so the shield TV only comes in for apps like Tubi which are not on it.
The adding of new apps to TV's is notoriously slow if they get it at all. So having a streaming device is still needed.

If I was in the market for a new streaming device I would get the new NVIDIA SHIELD - The Best Streaming Media Device
It's not cheap but nor am I. :)

We had an original Chromecast for years, but recently upgraded to a Sony TV with Android TV built in. I like that you can browse through the tv, or use your phone to cast, and the Android TV hands off between the two.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We cut cable in 2008.

Three generations of Roku devices, total happiness.

We do also have Rveal. Very interesting device, basically Raspberry Pi with proprietary software, Kodi and group licenses, now expired. Think European laws crushed how this worked. Anyways, likely gone and don't recommend. But we had our fun with it while it lasted - GoT etc.

AA

I have a Roku, an Amazon fire , and a smart TV. The Amazon fire sits in the closet. I won't order another one. The Roku works well; no issues streaming and plenty of variety. The Samsung smart TV is great as well, but not everything is available as an app for it.

If you install an app on the firestick called bookmarks then you are able to go to individual websites and set up a bookmark for it.. You can then click on that bookmark and it will take you straight to that site.. I have bookmarks set up for Primewire and another for watchseries.. from those 2 bookmarks i can scroll through the different content available whether that is tv shows or movies. the content from those 2 sites also includes the content you would get from paid streaming services like netflix or hulu or the others out there.....
I actually like the firestick better because honestly I havent seen a way to do what i mentioned with the Roku or with the tivo 4k..
the firestick app i mentioned you need to read a couple of sentences on how to set it up but it is very simple to do..

Used a Roku Premier for years, zero issues with it. Stupid simple to setup and use. Just be sure you have good WiFi reception in your TV's location. I've had good success with signal-repeaters but it's just one more thing to fiddle with and set-up.
I have several of the "booster" "repeaters " in our house too.. I just cant seem to be able to set up the roku or the tivo 4k to be able to use the websites that we prefer.. I like the 2 free sites that i mentioned. with the primewire or watchseries you set up a simple free account and from their sites you can set up a personal guide to only see the content you want or to see all the shows on the schedule. If I could figure out a way to add those sites to the other devices I would be more likely to try them out.... If there is a way to add them I would love it if someone could tell me how...

... I like the 2 free sites that i mentioned. with the primewire or watchseries ... If I could figure out a way to add those sites to the other devices I would be more likely to try them out... If there is a way to add them I would love it if someone could tell me how...
You MIGHT be able to stream Primewire and/or Watchseries to another device, such as a Roku, using Plex. I couldn't really explain how to set it up though.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
On the living room TV have a 2017 Nvidia Shield, I have 2 4k firesticks. One that I mainly bought for the remote to use on the Shield to replace its horribly designed remote. The firestick works better than the bedroom TVs native apps and we control it through CEC on the stock Vizio remote. The other at work for my kids.

I want the ability to install nearly any app I want so I stick with the android based architecture.

For someone who just subscribes to the major services, and wants a simple interface Roku is probably the way to go.

Apple tv user here, first generation, no problems whatsoever, I stream Netflix, Hulu, Prime and Disney plus.

I have the first generation so when is time to upgrade I am thinking on trying out Amazon tv since we have Alexa in a couple of rooms and wouldn't mind the automation of everything. Then again, we don't watch much tv since we are trying to balance screen time with the kiddos.
I forgot about that brand I have one of the first gen ones too but I took it out after I got it plugged it in, set it up, tried it one time then unhooked it , put it back in its box, put it up and havent taken it out since.. I guess I got stuck in my ways with the firestick being so simple for me.. I guess I like the fact that since my wife often works later and with this pandemic she immediately has to do a very long shower getting clean when she gets home and we are not able to see most TV when it first airs we are able to stream our shows at a later time.. Also Im not cheap but I really enjoy the fact that the 2 sites I mentioned are FREE so we are able to use the extra money we save to buy our kids games and toys to play with or things we may need....

If you install an app on the firestick called bookmarks then you are able to go to individual websites and set up a bookmark for it.. You can then click on that bookmark and it will take you straight to that site.. I have bookmarks set up for Primewire and another for watchseries.. from those 2 bookmarks i can scroll through the different content available whether that is tv shows or movies. the content from those 2 sites also includes the content you would get from paid streaming services like netflix or hulu or the others out there.....
I actually like the firestick better because honestly I havent seen a way to do what i mentioned with the Roku or with the tivo 4k..
the firestick app i mentioned you need to read a couple of sentences on how to set it up but it is very simple to do..
My issue with the Firestick is that mine was unstable. I would have to reset it. However, this is several years ago and I would not be surprised if the hardware has improved. Of course, I may have just been unlucky and received a bad one.

We have managed to cut the cord with Roku, Netflix, Prime and SlingTV. Sling gives the missus the cable channels that she wanted without hundreds of useless channels.

I also had a Raspberry PI running Kodi, but changed it over to Plex for our own media library. It’s down at the moment and I need to fix that. But the Roku with those channels above and the NASA channel are all we need.

You MIGHT be able to stream Primewire and/or Watchseries to another device, such as a Roku, using Plex. I couldn't really explain how to set it up though.
Thank you for the info. Would Plex actually be installed on the device or would i have to use a phone or computer?.. I would love to be able to use those on another device because those sites are so simple and straight forward , I can find stuff for the whole family to watch whenever from just 2 places..

On the living room TV have a 2017 Nvidia Shield, I have 2 4k firesticks. One that I mainly bought for the remote to use on the Shield to replace its horribly designed remote. The firestick works better than the bedroom TVs native apps and we control it through CEC on the stock Vizio remote. The other at work for my kids.

I want the ability to install nearly any app I want so I stick with the android based architecture.

For someone who just subscribes to the major services, and wants a simple interface Roku is probably the way to go.
Again though the 2 sites I mentioned are not subscription based they are Free.. I really like free...

My issue with the Firestick is that mine was unstable. I would have to reset it. However, this is several years ago and I would not be surprised if the hardware has improved. Of course, I may have just been unlucky and received a bad one.

they have had a lot of updates since then...

Top Bottom