What's new

Tutorial: Repair cracked handles/shafts in Gillette Old Types etc.

Hello fellow shavers!

I have acquired several razors with cracked handles but could not find any in-depth tutorials on how to repair them. Here is how I fix them. My hope is to give back a little to this great site. As with my “Repair Stripped Threads” thread (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...d-Types-using-Heli-Coil?p=6301247#post6301247), this is not meant to bring razors back to new, but to salvage them the best way that I was able to.

Tools needed:

On this particular job (1918 Ball End Old Type) I used a 8" Spring Clamp (black) from Sears, and a 12" Irwin Quick-Grip clamp from Home Depot.

Small metal file (orange).

5/16" aluminum tube (hollow) from hobby store.

5/16" x 12" pipe cleaner from Harbor freight.

Loctite marine epoxy.

Several Q-Tips.

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

$Tools.jpg

For this tutorial I used a single sided crack (easier to repair) that went about 50% of the shaft. Ball-end detached. (More later on double cracks, and full length cracks.)

$Crack 1.jpg

Clean the inside of the handle with the pipe cleaner
Note:If crack is not handles full length, in and out while twisting works well. Be sure not to use larger than recommended as it could get stuck in the handle. And I ain’t kidding!

$Pipe cleaner.jpg

Cut aluminum tubing to the inside length of the handle, minus the depth the ball handle will sit. I slid the tubing all the way in, marked the tube, then subtracted the ball handle's depth. It does not need to be exact. Within 1/8" or so is fine. Scuff/sand the aluminum a bit to ensure good glue adhesion as well.

Note: If you want to add weight to the handle a cut 5/16 bolt works very well.

$Mark 1.jpg
$Mark 2.jpg

Dry-fit to ensure good fit. Simply place the razor parts together to ensure that your cut piece isn’t too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: edw
Next you'll need to file the ball end so that it fits into the handle without causing the soon to be compressed crack to expand. Note that the handle cracked in the first place due to the pressure on the handle caused by "pressure fitting" the ends when new. I also use a small bench grinder from Harbor Freight at times. The hand file is safer if it’s your first time.

$File ballend.jpg

Mix about a quarter's size of marine epoxy.

$IMG_2447.jpg$IMG_2448.jpg

Once mixed, use a Q-Tip to "butter"
the inside of the handle with epoxy, then roll the cut piece of aluminum tubing
in the epoxy as well giving it an even layer.

$IMG_2449.jpg

Using the Quick-Clamp, clamp near the end with the crack centered in the opening of the clamp for easy access. Apply enough force to close the crack tightly, but not cause the handle to "oval". Slide the aluminum tube into the handle slowly while twisting to ensure good epoxy coverage. You will get some oozing out of the ball-end opening and crack, just wipe it off for now

$IMG_2450.jpg

Last edited:
Now coat the ball-end with epoxy and twist it in. Again, wipe off excess epoxy.
Use the Spring Clamp end-to-end to compress ball-end into handle. Check that the crack did not expand at all.

$Both clamps 1.jpg

Clean up ALL excess epoxy with rubbing alcohol using Q-Tips. Check every minute or so for a while for additional oozing.

Note that marine epoxy has a 24 hour set period so there is no huge hurry to do cleanup. You have up to 30 minutes or so to easily clean with alcohol.

Finished handle:

$Complete 1.jpg

I will be posting pictures of worse cracks, before and after repair, next.

I truly hope that this helps many users put some old razors back into rotation!

Enjoy, and fire away! :001_smile

Last edited:
Here are some other more difficult projects that required using up to four clamps. The first was a full length, 1/8" crack, that I neglected to take a "before" picture of. And the second was a double crack over-lapped across the full length.

Full length after:

$IMG_2796.jpg

Double crack before:

$IMG_2436.jpg

After:

$IMG_2455.jpg

I'm done for now. :001_smile

Last edited:
Pics would be helpful........:laugh:

I am just kidding.......

Wonderful Thread. Thank You!

Keep up the Good Work!

Fantastic guide! I'm going to keep this thread handy. Thanks for taking the time to put it together for us.

Tremendously useful. Well demonstrated so that even the most mechanically inept (me) could do it.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks everyone. Your nods are appreciated!

I'll post pictures of some repaired three piece razors as well. Same technique but easier. :001_smile

Nice work. I fixed one the same way this weekend, but I used part of a plastic writing pen instead of the aluminum tubing. This is the second one I've done. The first has held up with no further signs of problems for about a year with fairly frequent use. Picked up this old-type over the weekend for cheap because of that crack.

On the "after" picture you can see some glue squeeze-out that still needs to be picked off.

The patient:
$cracked_old_type_07.jpg

Sacrificial pen:
$cracked_old_type_03.jpg

Results:
$cracked_old_type_04.jpg

Top Bottom