What's new

Tutorial - how to use a shaving stick

I don't soak my sticks anymore. It makes it really soft and easier to ruin. I simply pour a palm's worth of water over the stick before I shower and then another palm's worth in the middle of my shower. Softens up just enough of the stick without the overkill of soaking it.

You have a hell of a beard. Even soaking my sticks I'd estimate I load around 0.2-0.3grams max. I'm easily 20 shaves into a colgate stick (Haven't weighed it, but I'd guess its around 25-30grams* and I can't even tell it's been used when viewed in profile. And even that's great. These old soaps are efficient as hell. Guess that's what happens when there's ~zero water content left in em.

*Just weighed a NOS stick. 24 grams with foil, so probably closer to 23g. I'd assume 1oz new and it lost ~4-5grams to age.

That difference in loading might help explain why I like vintage Colgate sticks more than you do. But I am pretty sure we have different skin too, and I suspect that influences lather preferences. Without making any extreme claims for my beard, I think it is heavier than average. Still, we used to have a gent here who would go through a Tabac stick in 55 shaves, almost 2 grams per shave.

Are your Colgate sticks full size? Any idea when they were made? My ca. 1924 Handy Grip stick was about 54 grams new, and I had thought Colgate made the same size stick for a long time. There was no weight on the original package, but I have a later stick in plastic labelled 1 7/8 oz, or about 53 grams. Both sticks seem to be the same size. I weighed mine including the foil, but not the cap (for reference the cap weighed 4 grams). After 27 shaves the stick is down to 37 grams, about 0.6 per shave. So I project just under 90 shaves total.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I have a full one somewhere. In my apocolypse box I think. But the sticks I use are the little ~2" tall travel tins.

And 2grams/use of tabac is insane. You'd have to use a quarter cup of water at least, and it'd fill your sink with lather. Unless he's shaving with soap mud/putty.

The one I weighed matches your handy-grip pretty well. Same material case, same printing and words, minus "handy grip", since it's just a case, not a base too. Same foil wrap.
Has an insert with directions that looks late 50's era to my eyes. (edit: It's pre-28 evidently).

The stick I'm using is the same tin, but no insert. My big stick I want to say I dated at some point to the 40's but I may be remembering wrong, it's been years since I dug it out.

Nevermind, I don't have a big stick, maybe I sold it. My stored stick is another 1oz'er (it's actually labeled 1oz) that was used by the original owner (down to 21g).

These directions belong to the aluminum tin on the right (as does the unused soap). The aluminum tin is pre-28. The green tin is 1928-1953.

Edit: I remember now. I had a boxed colgate-palmolive shave stick refill that was 1.75oz. Pretty sure I sold it on BST.

Attachments

• $PICT0024.jpg
    $PICT0024.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 169
  • $PICT0026.jpg
    $PICT0026.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 166
  • $PICT0027.jpg
    $PICT0027.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Great tutorial/thread. I'd been wondering how to use a shaving stick; now I know. In addition to the tutorial, I've gleaned a lot of other helpful information from this thread. My thanks to Joel and to all who've contributed to the conversation. :001_smile

I used a stick for the first time tonight.
Speick. Smells great. I was amazed how much lather was produced.
Now I broke some rules in that I used a blade, (derby extra), razor (Gillette flare tip) that id never used before.
Razor is brand new to me so was anxious to use it.
I got a few weepers, which I never get, under my chin. My feeling is, it was the derby blade, but not sure. Still a good shave though.
It seemed the lather was really thick. There was a ton left in the brush when I was done. Maybe I didn’t work it enough, or put too much stick on my face?

I used a stick for the first time tonight.
Speick. Smells great. I was amazed how much lather was produced.
Now I broke some rules in that I used a blade, (derby extra), razor (Gillette flare tip) that id never used before.
Razor is brand new to me so was anxious to use it.
I got a few weepers, which I never get, under my chin. My feeling is, it was the derby blade, but not sure. Still a good shave though.
It seemed the lather was really thick. There was a ton left in the brush when I was done. Maybe I didn’t work it enough, or put too much stick on my face?

I don’t think you can ever use too much product!! Haha. Maybe not enough water added or like you said didn’t work it enough. Speick is pretty nice. I’ve only used it in shave stick form.

I’ve always found (with my water) that if I wet the shave stick and my face, the lather takes longer to build and is not as good. I generally just splash water on my face, apply stick, and work in little water as I go.

Gents,
It has come to my attention that many individuals are not familiar with shave sticks and their use - so here is a picture laden tutorial!
Enjoy!

Step One - Twist off the lid :p
P1010003.JPG

The Stick to be used in this tutorial is a QED Essentials Peppermint Shave Stick... this sucker has a GREAT cooling effect, and a VERY strong peppermint scent.

P1010004.JPG

Next get some nice hot water running.

P1010005.JPG

Cup some of the water with your hands and splash your face, and really try to get as much water as possible on your face. (Sorry for the non-descriptive pic - trying to cup water and take a pic on my own was a bit difficult!)

face.JPG

Once your face is properly moistened - begin rubbing the stick around your face with light pressure.

P1010010.JPG

As you begin rubbing around your beard area - you will notice some VERY light bubbling/lather beginning to form.

P1010011.JPG

Here is a shot of what it will look like.

P1010012.JPG

Next take your soaking wet brush - and give it about one shake.

P1010013.JPG

After one or two twists you can see lather begin in its infancy.

P1010016.JPG

With just a few more swirls with the big Shavemac XXL Silvertip you can see this lather start to come up.

P1010017.JPG

In seconds the brush is filled with lather.

P1010019.JPG

You can see wonderful shave-worthy lather is a cinch to make.

P1010020.JPG

Brush motion.

P1010021.JPG

Lather full brush.

P1010022.JPG

Brush.

P1010023.JPG

Shavin' time!

If you have any questions - feel free to fire away!
omg. thats how to use it.. haha shant tell you what ive been doing, lol. thanks ill try that in the morning.

I had QED shaving sticks a while ago and recently used my 2 old QED stick containers to make new sticks.
I just gently microwaved some old glycerin soaps I had and poured them in.

Is this not a good method? I realize it doesn't work for milled soaps.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I had QED shaving sticks a while ago and recently used my 2 old QED stick containers to make new sticks.
I just gently microwaved some old glycerin soaps I had and poured them in.

Is this not a good method? I realize it doesn't work for milled soaps.
I generaly grate eveything to stickify soaps, even if they are a melt'n'pour base.

Cut it into small pieces and mash it into a mug. A Palmolive stick is $$$ as a stick. I didn't like Arko as much.

Top Bottom