What's new

Tutorial - how to use a shaving stick

In the pictures we only see one side of your face; do you make the lather on one side and transfer it to the other with the brush, or do you do the same on both sides?

I acquired my first and only shave stick for travelling, specifically for head shaving daily while at a different customer site every week. I had no idea what to do with it, but figured out something along the lines of your demo.

Many thanks for the great tutorial!

Regards,

Thanks for the tutorial.

I am only 15, but i am going to start shaving with proper tools soon.

This was really helpful.

Thanks,

Matt

Joel,

Most excellent! I've wondered how the stick works. Now I've got to get one, two or three. Where do you suggest I look for a good shave stick?

Thanks again,

Bill

Would it be advisable to scrape at the stick with a brush to load it or would that completely defeat the purpose of having a stick vs puck?

Would it be advisable to scrape at the stick with a brush to load it or would that completely defeat the purpose of having a stick vs puck?

You're right --loading the brush on the stick serves no purpose over a puck. Use the stick to directly load the soap on the whiskers, then liberally use the brush to generate a lather. It works exceptionally well.

-- John Gehman

You're right --loading the brush on the stick serves no purpose over a puck. Use the stick to directly load the soap on the whiskers, then liberally use the brush to generate a lather. It works exceptionally well.

-- John Gehman

OK thanks, I thought it would be counter productive but just wanted to see what the consensus was.

My shave stick is definitely coming along on my next vacation. Hopefully I don't forget my brush like I did on my last trip :mad:

Thanks for the info. My favorite soap is a stick, and I've been using it wrong all this time. Always thought there must be a better way!

I'm pretty new to DE shaving, bu I've used a Speick stick with a brush for years and really like it. A lot of shaving products, especially creams, make my slightly oily skin feel greasy after shaving. This one seems just right for me. Plus I like that it contains "all natural" ingredients and is inexpensive considering how long it lasts.

Over here in Oz we have Mennum/Palmolive shave sticks in every supermarket; they're apparently very popular, even though they are never advertised. I must confess that for a good number of years (before I discovered better products) I used to just break them in half and use in a mug as shaving soap. Not the intention, I know, but it worked OK...

My shave stick is definitely coming along on my next vacation. Hopefully I don't forget my brush like I did on my last trip :mad:

You don't even need a brush ... I use my Ogallala Bay Rum stick once a week or so, and rub up a nice lather with my hand. I get faster, better results than any brush I've tried, plus it saves a lot of clean-up time.

One thing about shave sticks I don't think has been mentioned ... a little bit goes a long, long way. Just one or two swipes of wet stick across each quadrant of the wet face will produce more than enough lather for several passes.

Last edited:
The tallow-based sticks (Erasmic, Palmolive, Boots,
Arko, La Toja, etc...) are harder tha the QED sticks (which are glycerine-based) and last a very long time - great bargains - especially if you can get them locally.

I only have used the La Toja shave stick and I have achieve great results.
What kind of brush do you usually use with the shave stick? Or any kind of hair will do the trick?

Top Bottom