What's new

Tutorial: How to make lather from a shaving cream with a bowl

As previously stated, this tutorial is of Immense value. When I first started out, I was using way too little water in my creams. I could figure out what I was doing wrong. My lather looked and felt terrible. I stopped hand wringing and started to just give my brush two shakes and that did the trick! I have been having thick luxurious lathers ever since!

Thank you for this tutorial! I just bowl lathered for the first time last night and it was a frustrating experience. I need to take more time. I am going to try again armed with this information.

Same way I lather my creams. I just don't squeeze the brush and instead do little flicks until the water stops dripping off.

This is great for me, I've been having trouble getting a good lather from my shaving cream.

I use Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood and my lather was just too thin, I'll try later with some more water and maybe not squeeze my brush so hard before I start!

Great tips! :D

This is great for me, I've been having trouble getting a good lather from my shaving cream.

I use Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood and my lather was just too thin, I'll try later with some more water and maybe not squeeze my brush so hard before I start!

Great tips! :D

I just tried their sensitive skin cream and had zero issue getting a thick lather, HOWEVER, my first few attempts with it felt like zero lubrication on my face. I washed down and tried again using face lathering and the cream went on much better and thicker and way more slick. I used same amount as I did when doing the bowl lather and had plenty for a 3 pass shave and clean up.

I;ve had horrible luck with bowl lathering. It comes out looking like everything I've seen but it just doesn't seem to provide the same lubrication. Don't know why.

I used to have trouble getting lather out of creams and I found that one very useful tip when stirring is not to simply go round the bowl in circles, but to use a 'whipping' motion similar to that used when whipping cream. I find the cream lathers far better that way.

Is there by any chance a way to know if your lather is too runny?

I judge the stiffness of my lather my making the brush stand free on its hair.... I think I have posted a photo. That means that there is enough lather in the brush and that lather is hard enough. Too thick a lather is not desirable either, its hydratation power is reduced.

Enjoyed your tutorial Luc. Where can I score a bowl like yours, seems to be the right width and height for bowl lathering and the color is nice? Thanks in advance.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Enjoyed your tutorial Luc. Where can I score a bowl like yours, seems to be the right width and height for bowl lathering and the color is nice? Thanks in advance.

I bought the bowl back in Australia from a kitchen store that was closing. I got them for 0.25 or 0.50 cents each. I bought 4 and all 4 are broken today. My clumsy hands in the morning pushed me to face lather instead of bowl lathering...

However, if you are looking for one, that one was around 1" deep (to the brush handle wouldn't hit the rim of the bowl) and 3" wide which might be small for some but it was the right size when I was bowl lathering. Bigger than that, I was getting "lost" and couldn't concentrate the lather efficiently.

I bought the bowl back in Australia from a kitchen store that was closing. I got them for 0.25 or 0.50 cents each. I bought 4 and all 4 are broken today. My clumsy hands in the morning pushed me to face lather instead of bowl lathering...

However, if you are looking for one, that one was around 1" deep (to the brush handle wouldn't hit the rim of the bowl) and 3" wide which might be small for some but it was the right size when I was bowl lathering. Bigger than that, I was getting "lost" and couldn't concentrate the lather efficiently.
Thanks Luc, guess I won't be finding that lather bowl anytime soon. Haha. Maybe I'll check Pier One Imports. Thanks again for the great post on lathering. This thread was very helpful being very new to DE. Take care

Great tutorial but I'm still having issues.

I mix up a lather and it looks like your finished one in the pics...as well as some other online tut vids I've watched. Shave starts well but by the time I'm almost finished my first pass and get to my last area which is under my nose and above my pencil moustache that lather has dried and cracked....looks a bit like a salt like. To me the problem was obvious to fix by just adding a bit of water which I did but what happened then was bubbles started to appear which I tried to get rid of but couldn't (well all bar a few anyway)...and to an extent the lather became too sloppy and didn't hold its body...sooo I'm thinking I made it too wet.

I'm using Proraso Green in a bowl and a Silvertip brush....maybe I just need to keep experimenting more. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not too sure whether I should apply my lather to a wet or dry face...this may be what's causing my issues too?

Top Bottom