What's new

Turntables - who still uses one?

Gang,

I searched for 'turntable' and all the posts were pretty old; the most recent one I found petered out in 2012.

Anyway, I just re-discovered my two models, and of course, my vinyl so I'll start:

1)Beogram TX2 with their MMC1 cartridge

2)Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with a Mission Solitaire & a Grado "black" cartridge (Until I research this, I can't identify it further).

All of this equipment dates back to the '70s when I bought them and it's an interesting stab from the past. I say that because I've been buying/playing CDs exclusively for X number of years.

I have several turntables ranging from drive platters and arms to automatic beogram tables.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have one that I use once in a while. I only have 8 records though. Mostly Rush and a couple Kiss. The Rush records were actually delivered to me by accident about 10 years ago. I couldn't send them back since there was no return address and I only opened the box they came in since it just had my address and no name on it. Didn't even own a record player then. Kiss is my fathers favorite band, so I got those to connect with him better. I'm more of a Rob Zombie kind of guy.

I purchased a Rega Planar 3 in 1984,completely rebuilt in 2011,plays smooth and mellow.Have a vintage Technics I use to transfer old 45's to CD.

I have a Rega RP3. There is a vintage stereo equipment thread floating around here that is much more recent than the one you found.

Not as high-end as the ones listed above, but I still have my old Technics linear tracking turntable from the 80s. I have it hooked up to an old receiver that, that I use occasionally.

proxy.php

I have a pretty extensive CD collection, but have recently started buying vinyl at yard sales, flea markets, and antique shops. Planning to pick up a turntable of some sort in the near future.

I have a Rega RP3. There is a vintage stereo equipment thread floating around here that is much more recent than the one you found.

Thanks, I only searched for turntable thinking that was a good common denominator. I'll try vintage stereo or some variant.

I use a Technics SL-1950 occasionally. I am original owner and bought it in 1978. Just recently fired up along with my one owner Pioneer SX-950.

I use a Technics SL-1950 occasionally. I am original owner and bought it in 1978. Just recently fired up along with my one owner Pioneer SX-950.

I bought both of mine new sometime in the '70s. I upgraded my amp(s) once but never any TTs. I went from an integrated to separate pre/power amps; also '70s vintage.

Both the Technics and Pioneer are overdue for a servicing/overhaul/upgrade. I've been reading up and seems that nowadays, you can have a technician go through your old gear and replace most of the capacitors, etc. for a renewed and better quality sound. Can't wait to get that done.

I have my Dual 506 from the 70's with ADC Cartridge and XLM MKII stylus. Have it in my garage studio running through Yamaha Sub / Studio monitors.

I picked up a cheap Audio Technica for the house stereo. I'm re-addicted to vinyl, and will be upgrading the house unit forthwith.

Am fortunate (my wallet isn't) to have occasion to be at or near Amoeba Hollywood several times per month.

Top Bottom