What's new

TurnNShave Synthetic knots

Just put the 26mm SilverSynth in a custom handle (by Andrew at Viking Soap) this morning. Can't wait to try it out later in the week.
br1.png
br2.png

I've shaved with the Silversynth four times now. This last time was fantastic. It had good backbone and scritch, reminded me a little of a two-band badger more than a silvertip. That's not to say that this feels like a badger. It feels like its own brush. The fibers are not pillowy soft or thin like in other synthetics (this is a big plus for me—this is not a big makeup brush). It does not splay as easily as a regular badger, but again, that's okay. It splays easily enough, and I wanted that backbone. In the end, it performs more like a two-band, and more of what I really want in a synthetic.

I will say that the first two times I used the brush, I had trouble with it. First I tried to face lather, and it did not go so well (I had trouble loading, then building lather). Then I tried bowl lathering, and it seemed to take 2-3 times as long to lather as it should. The last two times have been wonderful. Whew. I must admit that I did not wash or clean the brush before using it (oops I guess). So, there may have been some residue that needed to get cleaned out. Or I just found a synthetic that needed to get broken in :)

The last two times I've used the brush and face lathered, I just used the regular amount of soap and my normal routine of adding water (dip tips in when I need more, slowly paint that water on the face, slowly swirl in the beginning, and then go at it normally). Really, really happy with this. Better than my tuxedo brush (my old one from Stirling; I have not tried the quartermoon yet).

Set my 25mm Angel knot finally with the Sawdust Creation Shang ra la.

IMG_20210114_223939640_2.jpg

It's a nice looking combo for sure. As for the knot, it's very soft on the tips but it has some resistance when splaying. I thought it would be easier to splay than the quartermoon and the Fan timberwolf but it seems to have more springyness. It might be that the knot has to break in a bit but so far, I'm a little bummed out. I'll be using it later on but hopefully the splay feels more natural with each use.

Some lather pictures with Humphrey's glycerin soap.

IMG_20210114_220723521_2.jpg
IMG_20210114_220730167_2.jpg

IMG_20210114_220250070_2.jpg

That's a great looking combo for sure but 2 things stand out to me in the picture. First is the knot looks a little deep in the handle and second, what diameter was the the handle opened up to?
The knot is set at 56mm even though it looks a bit deep. The diameter of the handle is 26mm but 25mm seems to fit fine.

Update, I had a great lathering session with this brush today. Turns out, it's a little resistant on the hand but fantastic on the face. I think as I use it more, it's going to break in and feel even better.

The knot is set at 56mm even though it looks a bit deep. The diameter of the handle is 26mm but 25mm seems to fit fine.

Update, I had a great lathering session with this brush today. Turns out, it's a little resistant on the hand but fantastic on the face. I think as I use it more, it's going to break in and feel even better.
I did some measuring on mine and found my handle had a 27mm hole in it and I set the loft at 59-60mm and have never had any problems whatsoever with it... It has never felt springy in the least and isn't a flinger either and can't remember any kind of break in phase at all. If memory serves me correctly all of my TurnNShave knots are set in the 58-60mm range.
Brushes1.jpg

The 26mm Quartermoon (fan) is still the best synthetic I've had. I've tried other tuxedos, synbads, silversynths (both TnS and Edwin Jagger), and plissons. I was really thinking the silversynth would dethrone it, but, I've found that knot to be 'pokey' at times and not as smooth. The 26mm synbad was just too floppy for me (and I had it set 18mm into the handle vs a more standard 15).

I did some measuring on mine and found my handle had a 27mm hole in it and I set the loft at 59-60mm and have never had any problems whatsoever with it... It has never felt springy in the least and isn't a flinger either and can't remember any kind of break in phase at all. If memory serves me correctly all of my TurnNShave knots are set in the 58-60mm range.
View attachment 1209313
Those look fantastic and I'm sure they feel great on the face. I think 57mm loft is my ideal for now but I might try a bit taller later.

The 26mm Quartermoon (fan) is still the best synthetic I've had. I've tried other tuxedos, synbads, silversynths (both TnS and Edwin Jagger), and plissons. I was really thinking the silversynth would dethrone it, but, I've found that knot to be 'pokey' at times and not as smooth. The 26mm synbad was just too floppy for me (and I had it set 18mm into the handle vs a more standard 15).
Yup. 26mm QM still stands at the top for me. Lovely knot.

I found the Synbad and 2BED knots to be on the floppy side as well.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here is the Graydog Backyard Maple brush (with TNS 26mm Full Moon knot) that I bid on, and won, in the 2019 Saint Sue Charity Auction:
20200927_125609.jpg

This is a very nice brush. Steve (Graydog) knows how to get the most out of the TNS Full Moon knot. :thumbup:

Has anybody tried the ghost knot? The description sounds interesting to me “Backbone is very similar to boss knot. No scritch but a scrubby knot, excellent for exfoliating.”

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Has any had experience with his boar knot?
Wondering about which option to go with. Treated/ gel etc

Has any had experience with his boar knot?
No shaves yet. I glued the knot in on Friday, and I always let it dry/cure 3 days (longer than I need to, but I am not in a rush). Besides, I like looking at it. My plan is to have the first shave with it on Wednesday.

I can say that I prepped the knot using the 3-day cold water method. Putting it in the fridge seems unnecessary for me. The tips are already softer (dry) than my Zenith boar I've had since February. I will say that, during the prepping, it shed a number of hairs. Whether or not that's because I got a half-gel treatment or not, who knows. I have no problem with the shedding at this initial point. I look forward to trying it out and will update you.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No shaves yet. I glued the knot in on Friday, and I always let it dry/cure 3 days (longer than I need to, but I am not in a rush). Besides, I like looking at it. My plan is to have the first shave with it on Wednesday.

I can say that I prepped the knot using the 3-day cold water method. Putting it in the fridge seems unnecessary for me. The tips are already softer (dry) than my Zenith boar I've had since February. I will say that, during the prepping, it shed a number of hairs. Whether or not that's because I got a half-gel treatment or not, who knows. I have no problem with the shedding at this initial point. I look forward to trying it out and will update you.
Cool. Did you get the gel tips? Or untreated?
I’m considering this know fir a rubber set 400 type handle. I stopped using board due to pre shave time requirements of soaking it.

Top Bottom