What's new

TurnNShave Synthetic knots

This is making me feel like an idiot. I LOVED the look of my Stirling boar but it just didn't perform as well as my other boars so I sold it - never even thinking of reknotting it. DOH!
I have one Stirling boar that I enjoy and this one was way too scratchy. I just steamed it out and popped the boss batch 2 in. I really like the shape of the handle.

I have one Stirling boar that I enjoy and this one was way too scratchy. I just steamed it out and popped the boss batch 2 in. I really like the shape of the handle.

Yeah guess I'm going to have to keep an eye out for another one on the bay and put a knot in it. Was sad to see it go because I love the shape of the handle.

keep an eye out for another one on the bay and put a knot in it
A 24mm Stirling Boar is about $10 on their website. Not too much for a handle you love. I've spent way more on handles alone. Of course, I don't think Stirling creates their own handles. Perhaps you can find a similar design for just a handle? Good luck!

Someone say TurnNShave? I'm a fan!!

25mm Angel Hair, 25mm Quartermoon, & 26mm Timberwolf.
Brushes1.jpg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Is there a difference between an Angelhair and a Cashmere, and if so, can someone describe the difference? I have two 24mm Cashmeres from Wild West Brushworks. Very soft, which I liked. I didn't mind the lack of backbone, but one of them "doughnut holed" after 5 or 6 uses, none of which was rough or abusive of the knot in any way.

Is there a difference between an Angelhair and a Cashmere, and if so, can someone describe the difference? I have two 24mm Cashmeres from Wild West Brushworks. Very soft, which I liked. I didn't mind the lack of backbone, but one of them "doughnut holed" after 5 or 6 uses, none of which was rough or abusive of the knot in any way.
There is definitely a difference... Cashmere is a bulb whereas the Angel Hair is a fan and a about 10mm's taller and softer tips. I had the Cashmere early on but like the SynBad, they had to go when I received the Angel Hair and the Quartermoon knots from Milton.

I was an early fan of APShaveCo but I believe the quality of their knots aren't up to what the TurnNShave knots are. The TurnNShave knots seem to pick up or load faster from the puck and is able to turn that into some great lather quicker for me and played big in my decision to switch over to. I've also added the Timberwolf fan, as pictured above, to my cabinet and to date is the softest and most dense knot I've ever used. It's like putting a pillow to your face and is enjoyable to use but if I had to pick just 1 knot it would be the Quartermoon as it has very soft tips with a very comfortable backbone compared to most others. Although the Angel Hair is very reminiscent of some early boar knots I've used years back when I started using real haired brushes.

Test lathered the Angel hair knot today, just by the knot itself.

SOTD 07142020.jpg

It's a wonderful knot. Soft tips, low backbone, and easy to splay. It's pretty much what I was looking for. One thing that I found out is that it splays a little odd in a sense that the bristles gather towards up or down, not in a full circular splay. Nothing uncomfortable but just a characteristic of the knot. The knot is average dense and is on the floppy side. I don't have a handle ATM but this will be my next brush project.

I have my two 26mm knots now in hand: silversynth and quartermoon. Just on dry face and fingertip feel, the quartermoon has softer tips. Don't know what that will mean with a shave.

Andrew at Viking is working on a custom handle for one of these lovelies. I am still mulling options for the other one.

I have my two 26mm knots now in hand: silversynth and quartermoon. Just on dry face and fingertip feel, the quartermoon has softer tips. Don't know what that will mean with a shave.

Andrew at Viking is working on a custom handle for one of these lovelies. I am still mulling options for the other one.
Andrew makes some killer brushes. I'm sure it'll turn out beautiful.

I have a silversynth and a Tuxdeo which has the same bristles as a quartremoon. The silversynth would be fine except I keep finding dark fibers that come up into the canopy of the knot. I have a very sensitive face and those darker bristles irritate my skin. One by one I am tracking them down and pulling them out.

Another run with the 26mm Quartermoon knot set in Sawdust Creation brush

SOTD 07222020.jpg

I have the knot set pretty high around 57-58mm. A natural hair would not be optimal at this loft but synthetics do quite well. I bowl lathered today and this knot took in so much lather. When I took it to the face, it release most of it and I just ended up with gobs of lather, enough for 6+ passes. This knots performs really well.

As for the face feel, it's amazing. Soft, dense, splays easy, with low-mid backbone. Especially with its fan-shape, it makes it easier to splay. This is probably my favorite knot of 2020. I'll have to compare it to the Timberwolf Fan knot which I have on the way and the Angel knot later on (Haven't found a handle for it yet).

Another run with the 26mm Quartermoon knot set in Sawdust Creation brush

I have the knot set pretty high around 57-58mm. A natural hair would not be optimal at this loft but synthetics do quite well. I bowl lathered today and this knot took in so much lather. When I took it to the face, it release most of it and I just ended up with gobs of lather, enough for 6+ passes. This knots performs really well.

As for the face feel, it's amazing. Soft, dense, splays easy, with low-mid backbone. Especially with its fan-shape, it makes it easier to splay. This is probably my favorite knot of 2020. I'll have to compare it to the Timberwolf Fan knot which I have on the way and the Angel knot later on (Haven't found a handle for it yet).

Are you happy with this loft or would you change it after using it?

Are you happy with this loft or would you change it after using it?
I'm happy with the loft and I would not change it. I did set my Timberwolf Fan at around 56mm loft so I think that'll give slight more backbone to balance the softer feel.

My first TNS synthetic was the $10 Chess piece with a Boss knot. That is a fantastic brush, I recommend it often to people wanting a good synthetic. I recently got a 26mm Quartermoon & put it in a Heritage Collection handle, set to Miltons advised loft of 54mm. It is fantastic! I love how it lathers, splays, face feel, & how it lathers. He has quality knots, people should give them a try.

My first TNS synthetic was the $10 Chess piece with a Boss knot. That is a fantastic brush, I recommend it often to people wanting a good synthetic. I recently got a 26mm Quartermoon & put it in a Heritage Collection handle, set to Miltons advised loft of 54mm. It is fantastic! I love how it lathers, splays, face feel, & how it lathers. He has quality knots, people should give them a try.
26mm Quartermoon is a fine knot. Definitely recommend for people looking for a quality synthetic.

Tried out the 26mm Timberwolf Fan knot today.

SOTD 07262020.jpg

It's pretty similar to the 26mm Quartermoon knot. Slightly easier to splay and less backbone but I feel that it's slightly stiffer. There's such a small difference between the two but I'm preferring the quartermoon knot more. Both are enjoyable to use so I'll continue to test them out.

Top Bottom