What's new

Turning handles

I picked up a few knots from TGN and fired up my old lathe and made a couple of handles. I had also purchased a cocobolo and a tulipwood blank. Turned those yesterday and am pleased with the results.

I found a source of burl, splated, and otherwise highly figured woods , a place in NC called Got Wood, where you can order small pieces and quanities and order some, along with some brass ferruesl from Lee Valley for a different touch.

Got to go shave now and will give one of them it's first try.

I picked up a few knots from TGN and fired up my old lathe and made a couple of handles. I had also purchased a cocobolo and a tulipwood blank. Turned those yesterday and am pleased with the results.

I found a source of burl, splated, and otherwise highly figured woods , a place in NC called Got Wood, where you can order small pieces and quanities and order some, along with some brass ferruesl from Lee Valley for a different touch.

Got to go shave now and will give one of them it's first try.
Got pictures? :huh:

Got to get my camera up and running and figure out how to post pictures.

In the meantime I made two more handles, a smaller one from a piece of Bois de Arc (Osage orange) that I had harvested and had seasoning for several years. When fresh cut or turned it is a fairly bright yellow, then ages to a dark amber color.

The other I did this afternoon is vase shaped, turned out of a piece of redwood burl. I had seen some things made of this a few years back and was impressed with the appearance. This was the most difficult thing I have ever turned, the wood was very fragile surrouunding the knot cavity, in fact splitting, I did get it together with some cyanoacyralate glue, giving the outside there a good soaking as well as soaking inside the cavity. The preliminary finish to keep it uniform was a coat of CA applied with a piece of wadded wax paper with the lathe turning as slow as I could set the belt on the pulleys. It turned out extremely lightweight, which I had anticipated because this was a softwood.

Next up will be a handle for a 30mm Knot turned out of a piece of cherry burl. It came green and wax coated so I cut off an appropriate length, scrapped off the wax and turned it to rough round so it can dry, I did some preliminary drying in the microwave, but will let it stabilize for a few days to a week.
None of my Fostner bits are close, so I may have to grind a spade bit, but will not do that until I receive a few brass ferruls from Lee Valley and see if I can fit one around the knot for a more finished look.

I'll try and play with the camera some in a few days.

Top Bottom