What's new

Turned fountain pen from a kit.

Rhodium & Black Titanium Majestic Jr FP with a TruStone blank I turned on my lathe. This will be a gift. I know it’s not like the high end pens many love, but sometimes a somewhat self made pen is nice to see.

DA67AA3E-65FD-4E4D-A4B9-BF58A6C6430E.jpeg BFD888C3-4D84-4936-BEE3-D0B9A423EF90.jpeg 5D9B85E1-B0B7-41D2-A30E-FF9E43FD0A37.jpeg 658466DB-3957-4F27-80AB-8B9A50860A9C.jpeg

Great looking pen. Reminds me of the Omas pens I loved so much. The person that receives that fp will be very lucky indeed.

That's nice looking pen Jay!
Now, is the truestone blank a resin/stone composite or just resin made to look like stone?
I'd love to turn stone material, but that would definitely call a different setup than what I currently have.

Thanks for the kind replies everyone. This is one of my favorites.

That's nice looking pen Jay!
Now, is the truestone blank a resin/stone composite or just resin made to look like stone?
I'd love to turn stone material, but that would definitely call a different setup than what I currently have.

Thanks Dave. It’s powdered stone and resin, as much as 90% powder and 10% resin. There are varying degrees of how hard TruStone is to turn, this being the easiest, and judging from how it turned I’d guess this has a much higher resin content. I *think* the white is stone with resin while the black is all resin, or at least a much higher ratio of resin. It’s obvious it’s not homogeneous when turning.

Very Nice Jay ! How she write?

Thanks Steve. Being a gift, I left it virgin, but I’ve written with this nib before (#5) and it’s quite nice, a lot better than ones on the cheaper kits.

It’s powdered stone and resin, as much as 90% powder and 10% resin. There are varying degrees of how hard TruStone is to turn, this being the easiest, and judging from how it turned I’d guess this has a much higher resin content. I *think* the white is stone with resin while the black is all resin, or at least a much higher ratio of resin. It’s obvious it’s not homogeneous when turning.
That pattern and colour combo would make a killer shaving brush handle, for a Tuxedo or Cashmere knot.

That pattern and colour combo would make a killer shaving brush handle, for a Tuxedo or Cashmere knot.

I wish I could make a brush handle with one. Unfortunately these blanks are only made in two sizes, the largest being 7/8” square, not nearly big enough for a brush handle. Hopefully they’ll manufacture larger blanks in the future. I’ve considered gluing some together, but the lack of pattern match - and likely glue lines - would be obvious.

Top Bottom